Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ski jump at wing trailing edge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdwambolt(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Ski jump at wing trailing edge Reply with quote

A while back there was a discussion about the wing trailing edge/flap intersection being too tight on QB wings, and a special tool that Van’s has to fix it. I am searching and searching, but can’t find the thread. I want to see some of the pictures again. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Charlie
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
loringsrv8(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Ski jump at wing trailing edge Reply with quote

Well Charlie, I can't point you in the right direction but here is my experience (fwiw). This is the first I've seen on the list concerning the flap fit but I had the same problem. I appeared that the 'U' shaped spar had been slightly underbent on the top causing the skin and nose ogive to be slanted upward from where it should have been. Using an adaptation of my tail surface trailing edge bender I clamped the flap in and bent the nose down. It did indeed fix the fit problem but the flap skin was now dished out between the ribs and looked pretty bad. It was apparent that the rivets were stressed and that I should have drilled them out before bending. Then they could have been redrilled and oversize rivets put in (maybe). So, as it turned out I bought a new flap and it fit just as well as the opposite one. On my contact with Van's about this, they allowed as how it was probably impossible because everything is done by CNC machinery! Having already bunged mine up, I f
elt my
only recourse was to by a new one. Van's never indicated how to fix it or if they had any sort of a special tool for the job. My suggestion would be don't do anything to the flap but return it to Van's for an exchange. (I wonder if there might have been a bad batch or something like that?). Good luck!
Art Loring, Jr.
RV-8, O320CS, N211XZ, could fly this month

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: