Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronaldcox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

Anyone have an opinion (preferably with some personal experience) about using WAGO connectors on OBAM aircraft?
They’re UL certified now for higher voltage work, but I’m wondering if they might be a safe and convenient solution for some of those connections in an aircraft that may need to be disconnected at some point in the future. Seems like they might be a good alternative for things that need multiple connections to one point (Nav lights, etc.)
I know some of us are very resistant to anything new, but these things have been used for decades in Europe, and I wondered if anyone has any reason one might not want to use them in low amperage connections, as most of our are.
They’re rated at 20Amps, and I’ve seen them tested online at 60 without causing any temp rise high enough to concern me.
What do you all think?
Ron

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

I used them where I wanted to be able to disconnect gauges, nothing mission critical.Just seemed to be an easy solution

On Thu., Mar. 9, 2023, 5:30 p.m. Ron Cox, <flyboyron(at)gmail.com (flyboyron(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Anyone have an opinion (preferably with some personal experience) about using WAGO connectors on OBAM aircraft?
They’re UL certified now for higher voltage work, but I’m wondering if they might be a safe and convenient solution for some of those connections in an aircraft that may need to be disconnected at some point in the future. Seems like they might be a good alternative for things that need multiple connections to one point (Nav lights, etc.)
I know some of us are very resistant to anything new, but these things have been used for decades in Europe, and I wondered if anyone has any reason one might not want to use them in low amperage connections, as most of our are.
They’re rated at 20Amps, and I’ve seen them tested online at 60 without causing any temp rise high enough to concern me.
What do you all think?
Ron

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Voyager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

I’ve wondered the same, but building wiring is a fair bit different than auto/aviation wiring. Wire nuts are used a lot in American homes, but you don’t see them in cars. The main reason is that cars tend to move and vibrate a lot and homes generally don’t (earthquakes being the exception). Wire nuts won’t take sustained vibration. Wago connectors may withstand vibration, but I doubt they have been tested for that. I am not aware of any auto maker, even in Europe, that uses Wago connectors in a car or truck. If I did, I would be much more inclined to use one in an airplane.

Having said that, if you airplane is an experimental, then you can use them if you wish and let us know how they work out. If the toggle handle will stay closed after a few hundred hours of vibration, then all is probably fine.

Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Mar 9, 2023, at 8:30 PM, Ron Cox <flyboyron(at)gmail.com> wrote:

What do you all think?

Ron

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

My take is a little different. I think just because we are OBAM doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stick with standards approved components. There are some exceptions when we may be able to do things to an even higher standard, but for the most part I want my plane to be at or above the standards used for certified planes, and I'd be wary of connectors that aren't typically used with aircraft wire. In flight fires are possibly the worst thing we can experience while flying as well, so if you were to use them, I would stick to the absolute lowest current circuits.
You don't need to become a statistic by testing new wire connection strategies for aircraft use, when so many other methods and types are available.

I recently found in my house, a circuit where the previous owner had 2 ends of 12 gauge wire that were too short to connect together in a box, secured, so he used 3 yellow crimp butt splices and wrapped it in electrical tape. When I found that I was pissed that they would endanger lives like that. Especially since the reason I found it was that I found no ground at many outlets on a branch circuit because the ground had broke at the butt splice. Wrong type of connects for the type of wiring. If you saw a wire nut in an airplane you'd think the person who did it was nuts. Personally I want any inspector to be able to look at my wiring and not leave with any negative thoughts.

Tim

Quote:
On Mar 10, 2023, at 6:39 AM, Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com> wrote:

I’ve wondered the same, but building wiring is a fair bit different than auto/aviation wiring. Wire nuts are used a lot in American homes, but you don’t see them in cars. The main reason is that cars tend to move and vibrate a lot and homes generally don’t (earthquakes being the exception). Wire nuts won’t take sustained vibration. Wago connectors may withstand vibration, but I doubt they have been tested for that. I am not aware of any auto maker, even in Europe, that uses Wago connectors in a car or truck. If I did, I would be much more inclined to use one in an airplane.

Having said that, if you airplane is an experimental, then you can use them if you wish and let us know how they work out. If the toggle handle will stay closed after a few hundred hours of vibration, then all is probably fine.

Matt

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 9, 2023, at 8:30 PM, Ron Cox <flyboyron(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 
> Anyone have an opinion (preferably with some personal experience) about using WAGO connectors on OBAM aircraft?
>
> They’re UL certified now for higher voltage work, but I’m wondering if they might be a safe and convenient solution for some of those connections in an aircraft that may need to be disconnected at some point in the future. Seems like they might be a good alternative for things that need multiple connections to one point (Nav lights, etc.)
>
> I know some of us are very resistant to anything new, but these things have been used for decades in Europe, and I wondered if anyone has any reason one might not want to use them in low amperage connections, as most of our are.
>
> They’re rated at 20Amps, and I’ve seen them tested online at 60 without causing any temp rise high enough to concern me.
>
> What do you all think?
>
> Ron

rv8iator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

..wagos or for that matter wire nuts do not form a gas tight connection
with the conductor(s). Pidg crimp connectors do.

Chris Stone
RV-8 and others

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 4:36 AM Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com>
wrote:

[quote]
m.whiting(at)frontier.com>

I’ve wondered the same, but building wiring is a fair bit different than
auto/aviation wiring. Wire nuts are used a lot in American homes, but you
don’t see them in cars. The main reason is that cars tend to move and
vibrate a lot and homes generally don’t (earthquakes being the exception).
Wire nuts won’t take sustained vibration. Wago connectors may withstand
vibration, but I doubt they have been tested for that. I am not aware of
any auto maker, even in Europe, that uses Wago connectors in a car or
truck. If I did, I would be much more inclined to use one in an airplane

Voyager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

That is the beauty of E-AB. We all get to make the choice that works for us. If we all stick to only those things that are standardized and approved, then by definition we make no progress. One of my favorite quotes during my engineering career was “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw.

Would I personally use a Wago in my airplane? Probably not, but not because I have significant fear of it failing. If I am making a connection that is permanent, I will use appropriate crimped or soldered connections depending on the situation. If I am making a connection that likely needs to be broken at some point, I will use an appropriate connector such as Molex, D-shell, Weatherpack, etc. I just don’t see many places on an airplane where a Wago style connection offers significant utility.

At my local Home Depot, a two terminal Wago (a splice basically) connector costs either 67 cents in quantities of 10 or 30 cents in quantity of 100. This is slightly cheaper than good quality butt connectors at say SteinAir which are 95 cents each with no quantity discount. So, some cost advantage for the high volume Wago parts, but not that much. There is the advantage of not needing a tool for the Wagos, but I already have crimp tools so that isn’t a factor for me. I just prefer the permanence of a crimped splice or the convenience of a connector over the in-between ground of a Wago which I will describe as semi-permanent and likely not tested for vibration tolerance as is the case with most connectors and crimps.

Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Mar 10, 2023, at 9:08 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:

My take is a little different. I think just because we are OBAM doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stick with standards approved components. There are some exceptions when we may be able to do things to an even higher standard, but for the most part I want my plane to be at or above the standards used for certified planes, and I'd be wary of connectors that aren't typically used with aircraft wire. In flight fires are possibly the worst thing we can experience while flying as well, so if you were to use them, I would stick to the absolute lowest current circuits.
You don't need to become a statistic by testing new wire connection strategies for aircraft use, when so many other methods and types are available.

I recently found in my house, a circuit where the previous owner had 2 ends of 12 gauge wire that were too short to connect together in a box, secured, so he used 3 yellow crimp butt splices and wrapped it in electrical tape. When I found that I was pissed that they would endanger lives like that. Especially since the reason I found it was that I found no ground at many outlets on a branch circuit because the ground had broke at the butt splice. Wrong type of connects for the type of wiring. If you saw a wire nut in an airplane you'd think the person who did it was nuts. Personally I want any inspector to be able to look at my wiring and not leave with any negative thoughts.

Tim

> On Mar 10, 2023, at 6:39 AM, Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> I’ve wondered the same, but building wiring is a fair bit different than auto/aviation wiring. Wire nuts are used a lot in American homes, but you don’t see them in cars. The main reason is that cars tend to move and vibrate a lot and homes generally don’t (earthquakes being the exception). Wire nuts won’t take sustained vibration. Wago connectors may withstand vibration, but I doubt they have been tested for that. I am not aware of any auto maker, even in Europe, that uses Wago connectors in a car or truck. If I did, I would be much more inclined to use one in an airplane.
>
> Having said that, if you airplane is an experimental, then you can use them if you wish and let us know how they work out. If the toggle handle will stay closed after a few hundred hours of vibration, then all is probably fine.
>
> Matt
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>>> On Mar 9, 2023, at 8:30 PM, Ron Cox <flyboyron(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 
>> Anyone have an opinion (preferably with some personal experience) about using WAGO connectors on OBAM aircraft?
>>
>> They’re UL certified now for higher voltage work, but I’m wondering if they might be a safe and convenient solution for some of those connections in an aircraft that may need to be disconnected at some point in the future. Seems like they might be a good alternative for things that need multiple connections to one point (Nav lights, etc.)
>>
>> I know some of us are very resistant to anything new, but these things have been used for decades in Europe, and I wondered if anyone has any reason one might not want to use them in low amperage connections, as most of our are.
>>
>> They’re rated at 20Amps, and I’ve seen them tested online at 60 without causing any temp rise high enough to concern me.
>>
>> What do you all think?
>>
>> Ron
>
>
>
>
>

werner schneider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

Ron,

Wago connectors are mostly used with solid wires (s in the name) thers
are few for stranded wires (str). But they are really only used in home
installations and I hade even there a few experience which I rather
would have avoided.

I would oppose to use them in any moving vehicle and never would board
an airplane done with ist. They are not designed for that environment.

Cheers Werner

On 10.03.2023 16:56, Matthew S. Whiting wrote:
Quote:

That is the beauty of E-AB. We all get to make the choice that works for us. If we all stick to only those things that are standardized and approved, then by definition we make no progress. One of my favorite quotes during my engineering career was “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw.

Would I personally use a Wago in my airplane? Probably not, but not because I have significant fear of it failing. If I am making a connection that is permanent, I will use appropriate crimped or soldered connections depending on the situation. If I am making a connection that likely needs to be broken at some point, I will use an appropriate connector such as Molex, D-shell, Weatherpack, etc. I just don’t see many places on an airplane where a Wago style connection offers significant utility.

At my local Home Depot, a two terminal Wago (a splice basically) connector costs either 67 cents in quantities of 10 or 30 cents in quantity of 100. This is slightly cheaper than good quality butt connectors at say SteinAir which are 95 cents each with no quantity discount. So, some cost advantage for the high volume Wago parts, but not that much. There is the advantage of not needing a tool for the Wagos, but I already have crimp tools so that isn’t a factor for me. I just prefer the permanence of a crimped splice or the convenience of a connector over the in-between ground of a Wago which I will describe as semi-permanent and likely not tested for vibration tolerance as is the case with most connectors and crimps.

Matt

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 10, 2023, at 9:08 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> My take is a little different. I think just because we are OBAM doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stick with standards approved components. There are some exceptions when we may be able to do things to an even higher standard, but for the most part I want my plane to be at or above the standards used for certified planes, and I'd be wary of connectors that aren't typically used with aircraft wire. In flight fires are possibly the worst thing we can experience while flying as well, so if you were to use them, I would stick to the absolute lowest current circuits.
> You don't need to become a statistic by testing new wire connection strategies for aircraft use, when so many other methods and types are available.
>
> I recently found in my house, a circuit where the previous owner had 2 ends of 12 gauge wire that were too short to connect together in a box, secured, so he used 3 yellow crimp butt splices and wrapped it in electrical tape. When I found that I was pissed that they would endanger lives like that. Especially since the reason I found it was that I found no ground at many outlets on a branch circuit because the ground had broke at the butt splice. Wrong type of connects for the type of wiring. If you saw a wire nut in an airplane you'd think the person who did it was nuts. Personally I want any inspector to be able to look at my wiring and not leave with any negative thoughts.
>
> Tim
>
>> On Mar 10, 2023, at 6:39 AM, Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com> wrote:
>>
>> 
>>
>> I’ve wondered the same, but building wiring is a fair bit different than auto/aviation wiring. Wire nuts are used a lot in American homes, but you don’t see them in cars. The main reason is that cars tend to move and vibrate a lot and homes generally don’t (earthquakes being the exception). Wire nuts won’t take sustained vibration. Wago connectors may withstand vibration, but I doubt they have been tested for that. I am not aware of any auto maker, even in Europe, that uses Wago connectors in a car or truck. If I did, I would be much more inclined to use one in an airplane.
>>
>> Having said that, if you airplane is an experimental, then you can use them if you wish and let us know how they work out. If the toggle handle will stay closed after a few hundred hours of vibration, then all is probably fine.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>>> On Mar 9, 2023, at 8:30 PM, Ron Cox <flyboyron(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Anyone have an opinion (preferably with some personal experience) about using WAGO connectors on OBAM aircraft?
>>>
>>> They’re UL certified now for higher voltage work, but I’m wondering if they might be a safe and convenient solution for some of those connections in an aircraft that may need to be disconnected at some point in the future. Seems like they might be a good alternative for things that need multiple connections to one point (Nav lights, etc.)
>>>
>>> I know some of us are very resistant to anything new, but these things have been used for decades in Europe, and I wondered if anyone has any reason one might not want to use them in low amperage connections, as most of our are.
>>>
>>> They’re rated at 20Amps, and I’ve seen them tested online at 60 without causing any temp rise high enough to concern me.
>>>
>>> What do you all think?
>>>
>>> Ron
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Eric Page

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

One significant problem with WAGO and similar connectors is that they're designed for solid conductors, so they have a sharp tang inside that bites into the conductor to prevent pull-out. That sharp tang is very good at cutting the tiny wires that make up stranded wire.

To make connections that you may want to take apart later, Bob has demonstrated the use of individual D-Sub pins and sockets, held together inside heat shrink tubing. For joining multiple wires together, use a D-Sub connector pair, where one of them is a solder-cup style with the cups bussed together with soldered wire.

Another good option is the Amphenol ATM series connectors. They're an exact duplicate (every part is interchangeable) of the Deutsch DTM series (widely used in the automotive world) but at about half the price. Contacts are available as solid machine-turned or stamped-and-formed. If you have a crimp tool for D-Sub pins, it will crimp Size 20 contacts for ATM/DTM connectors.

For higher current circuits, the Amphenol AT duplicates Deutsch DT and the Amphenol ATP duplicates Deutsch DTP.

ATM/DTM: 7A per contact
AT/DT: 13A per contact
ATP/DTP: 25A per contact

Amphenol ATM: https://www.amphenol-sine.com/atm-series
Amphenol AT: https://www.amphenol-sine.com/at-series
Amphenol ATP: https://www.amphenol-sine.com/atp-series

ronaldcox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for the thoughtful replies. I suspected they would lean in this direction (against using them), but I'm never sorry for having gotten input from the bright folks here.

(BTW, the newer WAGOs are rated for stranded AND solid conductors, but I can still see downsides to their use, especially as to the vibration issues.)

I'm aware of, and have used, many of Bob's excellent suggestions for such connections. I just wanted to see what the current thinking was. I often learn of new techniques here, and don't like to miss out on safe, convenient alternatives.

I'll use the more traditional connectors for my airplane for just the reasons cited here.

Thanks again for the input, all.

Rin

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: WAGO Connectors in OBAM Aircraft? Reply with quote

At 01:25 PM 3/11/2023, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "ronaldcox" <flyboyron(at)gmail.com>

Thanks to you all for the thoughtful replies.
I suspected they would lean in this direction
(against using them), but I'm never sorry
for having gotten input from the bright folks here.

You folks done good. To recap for any relatively
new members of the List, I'll re-iterate the
three pillars of longevity and performance
in made up conductor joints:

GAS TIGHTNESS between conductive elements of
the power pathway. This is best achieved with
PRESSURE that exceeds the compressive strength
of the joined materials. Thus two materials
become essentially one thus excluding the
primary threats to joint integrity - moisture
and oxygen. This would the 'wire grip' in
PIDG style crimp.

MECHANICAL support of materials subject to
cracking under vibration at the stress risers.
I.e. the transition from stranded to solid at
the ends/edges of the gas-tight interface.
This would be the 'insulation-grip' on a PIDG
style terminal.

https://tinyurl.com/jh4af75h

https://tinyurl.com/j42nf3w2

PROTECTION FROM THE ENVIRONMENT calls for
mitigating threats from environmental
effects of water, salt, corrosive gasses,
solvents, etc. Examples of this are
illustrated with incorporation of various
sealing techniques where called for in
the most stressful environs.

It's always good to be skeptical of new
processes until the details are sorted
and confirmed. Poor information is often
delivered with good intentions. Here's
an article that appeared in Sport Aviation
a few years back:

https://tinyurl.com/2y845k35

Quote:
I often learn of new techniques here, and don't like
to miss out on safe, convenient alternatives.

I've exploited the convenience of the WAGO
style connectors (of which there are many
examples out there). But only on relatively
low current house and appliance wiring.
Lighting branches, ceiling fans, etc. but
never where there's a risk of moisture/condensation
ingress.

That same spring-barb, high-pressure
connection has been around for decades.
First recall seeing it in strip-n-poke
termination on wall receptacles and switches.
In years since, I think I've seen the same
technology on other small wiring components.
It's noteworthy that the entry hole in
receptacles will only permit termination of
14awg wire . . . 12AWG wire won't go in.

Quote:
Thanks again for the input, all.

Thank YOU for asking and taking the time to
digest and understand. Share your knowledge
at every opportunity.

Bob . . .

////
(o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and good practice.

Strip-n-Poke_Termination_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.02 KB
 Viewed:  1622 Time(s)

Strip-n-Poke_Termination_1.jpg

Strip-n-Poke_Termination_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.78 KB
 Viewed:  1622 Time(s)

Strip-n-Poke_Termination_2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: