Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nylon #2 Phillips Screw Driver Bits...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Nylon #2 Phillips Screw Driver Bits...? Reply with quote

Hi Fellow RV Builders,

After 12 years since the test-flight, I finally got my RV-8 painted! Cascade Customs and Design in Bend Oregon did an outrageously awesome job! She is a beaut!

I had them put all new cad-plated screw hardware back in after painting. I decided that gold hardware against the red, just didn’t look as finished as I’d hoped. So, I counted all the screws and had them paint the appropriate number of screws plus some spares with the intent of swapping all the unpainted with painted.

The problem is the standard steel Phillips screw driver bits seems to chip the paint in the screw pretty easily.

I thought that I’ve seen #2 Phillips NYLON screw driver tips somewhere a while back? But I can’t seem to find them now? Does anyone have a lead on Nylon #2 bits?

Thanks,

Matt Dralle
RV-8 N998RV “Ruby Vixen”
https://youtu.be/57ihMKzMojE

[img]cid:image005.jpg(at)01D91F8D.ABCE63E0[/img]
[img]cid:image006.jpg(at)01D91F8D.ABCE63E0[/img]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

image005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.15 KB
 Viewed:  6132 Time(s)

image005.jpg

image006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.99 KB
 Viewed:  6132 Time(s)

image006.jpg

chaskuss(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Nylon #2 Phillips Screw Driver Bits...? Reply with quote

Matt,
Nylon won't be strong enough to turn those screws in nut plates. You might want to consider replacing the A/C Phillips head screws with Torx head screws [SS or Cad] from a supplier like MSC Direct or McMaster-Carr

Charlie

On Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 07:15:17 PM EST, Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com> wrote:

Hi Fellow RV Builders,

After 12 years since the test-flight, I finally got my RV-8 painted! Cascade Customs and Design in Bend Oregon did an outrageously awesome job! She is a beaut!

I had them put all new cad-plated screw hardware back in after painting. I decided that gold hardware against the red, just didn’t look as finished as I’d hoped. So, I counted all the screws and had them paint the appropriate number of screws plus some spares with the intent of swapping all the unpainted with painted.

The problem is the standard steel Phillips screw driver bits seems to chip the paint in the screw pretty easily.

I thought that I’ve seen #2 Phillips NYLON screw driver tips somewhere a while back? But I can’t seem to find them now? Does anyone have a lead on Nylon #2 bits?

Thanks,

Matt Dralle
RV-8 N998RV “Ruby Vixen”

[img]cid:uERRhBOBbyp956bwAa5E[/img]
[img]cid:j8woHe86sypbvIekbprD[/img]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image005.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6129 Time(s)

image005.jpg

image006.jpg
 Description:

image006.jpg

eduardocrestahill(at)hotm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Nylon #2 Phillips Screw Driver Bits...? Reply with quote

Perhaps a plastic screwdriver toy (Amazon)

De: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com> en nombre de Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com>
Enviado: martes, 3 de enero de 2023 21:08
Para: rv-list(at)matronics.com <rv-list(at)matronics.com>; rv8-list(at)matronics.com <rv8-list(at)matronics.com>; rv7-list(at)matronics.com <rv7-list(at)matronics.com>
Asunto: Nylon #2 Phillips Screw Driver Bits...?

Hi Fellow RV Builders,

I had them put all new cad-plated screw hardware back in after painting. I decided that gold hardware against the red, just didnt look as finished as Id hoped. So, I counted all the screws and had them paint the appropriate number of screws plus some spares with the intent of swapping all the unpainted with painted.

I thought that Ive seen #2 Phillips NYLON screw driver tips somewhere a while back? But I cant seem to find them now? Does anyone have a lead on Nylon #2 bits?

Thanks,

Matt Dralle
RV-8 N998RV Ruby Vixen

[img]cid:image005.jpg(at)01D91F8D.ABCE63E0[/img]
[img]cid:image006.jpg(at)01D91F8D.ABCE63E0[/img]

image005.jpg
 Description:

image005.jpg

image006.jpg
 Description:

image006.jpg

vshimsl(at)live.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Nylon #2 Phillips Screw Driver Bits...? Reply with quote

Just cover the screws with round circles of vinyl wrap (use big hole paper punch) after inserted and torqued down. With a hair dryer, the vinyl will shrink wrap into screw and be indistinguishable from paint. And when you need to remove them, the vinyl will (should) peel out easily. Or be bold. Polish, dip heads in polyurethane (very optional) and call it a design element. Nylon screws will just break off where you can't get at them.

RV8-N8432

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Charles Kuss <chaskuss(at)yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2023 4:26 PM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com <rv8-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: Nylon #2 Phillips Screw Driver Bits...?

Matt,
Nylon won't be strong enough to turn those screws in nut plates. You might want to consider replacing the A/C Phillips head screws with Torx head screws [SS or Cad] from a supplier like MSC Direct or McMaster-Carr

Charlie

On Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 07:15:17 PM EST, Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com> wrote:

Hi Fellow RV Builders,

I had them put all new cad-plated screw hardware back in after painting. I decided that gold hardware against the red, just didnt look as finished as Id hoped. So, I counted all the screws and had them paint the appropriate number of screws plus some spares with the intent of swapping all the unpainted with painted.

I thought that Ive seen #2 Phillips NYLON screw driver tips somewhere a while back? But I cant seem to find them now? Does anyone have a lead on Nylon #2 bits?

Thanks,

Matt Dralle
RV-8 N998RV Ruby Vixen

[img]cid:uERRhBOBbyp956bwAa5E[/img]
[img]cid:j8woHe86sypbvIekbprD[/img]

image005.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6116 Time(s)

image005.jpg

image006.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6116 Time(s)

image006.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: