Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chelton Flight Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Chelton Flight Systems Reply with quote

Anyone still using theseDU1s? Is there any support i.e. repair or consultation?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
bdgillespie215(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Chelton Flight Systems Reply with quote

I haven't seen any replies to the question but I am not aware of any “professional” support. I assume you are familiar with “Chelton EFIS Pilots.com”… Tim is the most knowledgeable person I am aware of on these legacy units and has done a superb job helping to keep them going.
I had two units in my RV10 (sold) and had bought an unused system as backup - just in case. I did have to upgrade the hard drives at one point due to failure. Best of luck to you - I really liked the Cheltons…
Byron

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Oct 2, 2022, at 6:14 PM, dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone still using theseDU1s? Is there any support i.e. repair or consultation?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Chelton Flight Systems Reply with quote

For those of you that have the Chelton’s I wish the best of luck keeping them going until time passes them by.

For those that are building now, I suggest that you carefully consider your avionics choices. You have to consider how likely support will exist down the road and how easily you can upgrade when the time comes. In the long run you may be better off with something a little more expensive up front, but repairable down the road and easily upgraded when the time comes. Dynon did a good job of that going from the D1000 to the HDX screens. It was one of the reasons I went with 3 HDX screens in my RV10 (and a GTN650 for IFR). Hopefully that will continue in the future. The 37 pin connector in the HDX screens had a number of leads labeled “for future development”. That is a positive sign.

I suspect Garmin will be reasonably supportive of their equipment also, but I dislike that Garmin does their best to make their equipment not play well with anyone else’s.

Also for those that are considering putting your own avionics in like I did, Dynon uses network cables for most of their communications between devices. Garmin products need custom built wiring harnesses between every device. The network architecture Dynon uses does make it much easier to install.

Whatever your choices are, consider what support will be like down the road.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, at 4:01 AM, Home <bdgillespie215(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't seen any replies to the question but I am not aware of any “professional” support. I assume you are familiar with “Chelton EFIS Pilots.com”… Tim is the most knowledgeable person I am aware of on these legacy units and has done a superb job helping to keep them going.
I had two units in my RV10 (sold) and had bought an unused system as backup - just in case. I did have to upgrade the hard drives at one point due to failure. Best of luck to you - I really liked the Cheltons…
Byron

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 2, 2022, at 6:14 PM, dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 
> Anyone still using theseDU1s? Is there any support i.e. repair or consultation?

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Chelton Flight Systems Reply with quote

My two cents: consider what Robert posted, above, but don’t go completely crazy over it. In my case, I went with a small company, GRT, because I liked their equipment, especially that it could withstand loss of gps AND airspeed and still compute a horizon, plus the whole package was noticeably less than the competition. Here I am, a dozen years later, and GRT is still there. But if they had gone out of business 6 years ago, nothing would be different, because I haven’t needed any service, software upgrades, etc. I’m happy with what I have.
Also note that all avionics companies are prone to problems stemming from part availability. Garmin no longer supports the SL30, despite the fact that, IMHO, it remains the finest nav-com ever built (maybe the new Trig, which emmulates the SL30, will prove to be its equal). The issue is that a key integrated circuit was mass produced for a very large customer (likely a TV manufacturer). But now that TV is out of production, the avionics market is too small, so that chip is out of production. As the stockpile dwindles to zero, the SL30 cannot be economically repaired if that chip fails. The same is true of my GRT EFIS screen. It’s no longer in production, so if it fails I’m out of luck, regardless of whether or not GRT is still around.

rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Chelton Flight Systems Reply with quote

I have flown an RV7 with GRT installed in it from LAS to OSH and back for Airventure in 2016. That experience was one reason I did not consider GRT for my RV10. My wife (another professional pilot) told me “We are not putting GRT in our aircraft”. I also worked on the avionics on two other aircraft with GRT and and I was not very impressed on how easy it was to get everything working. As one of those aircraft owners remarked to me “The manuals are terrible.” I could not disagree with that.
I installed 3 Dynon HDX screens along with all the optional components Dynon offered and a Garmin GTN650. My wife loves the panel and so do I. I will agree that a GRT panel will be cheaper, but will depress the resale value of the aircraft.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On Oct 5, 2022, at 12:53 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

My two cents: consider what Robert posted, above, but don’t go completely crazy over it. In my case, I went with a small company, GRT, because I liked their equipment, especially that it could withstand loss of gps AND airspeed and still compute a horizon, plus the whole package was noticeably less than the competition. Here I am, a dozen years later, and GRT is still there. But if they had gone out of business 6 years ago, nothing would be different, because I haven’t needed any service, software upgrades, etc. I’m happy with what I have.
Also note that all avionics companies are prone to problems stemming from part availability. Garmin no longer supports the SL30, despite the fact that, IMHO, it remains the finest nav-com ever built (maybe the new Trig, which emmulates the SL30, will prove to be its equal). The issue is that a key integrated circuit was mass produced for a very large customer (likely a TV manufacturer). But now that TV is out of production, the avionics market is too small, so that chip is out of production. As the stockpile dwindles to zero, the SL30 cannot be economically repaired if that chip fails. The same is true of my GRT EFIS screen. It’s no longer in production, so if it fails I’m out of luck, regardless of whether or not GRT is still around.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=508026#508026

dmasys2(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Chelton Flight Systems Reply with quote

Sounds like a builder failure more than a GRT failure.  Back in 2007 when my wife and I completed our RV-10, GRT was the only game in town that could integrate a Garmin GNS480 with a TruTrak autopilot and fly a fully coupled ILS or RNAV/GPS approach.  No Dynon options, no Garmin options.  We flew with a two EFIS GRT setup for the first 13 years in a lot of scuzzy weather in the Pacific Northwest, then as a pandemic project upgraded the original displays (called WS by GRT) to Horizon EX's (same holes and same plugs as original units) with synthetic vision, ADS-B traffic and wx.  Bright, crisp, very nice displays.  Still cruising and shooting ILS and LPV approaches to minimums with that same set of multivendor boxes.  
We lived closed to Arlington WA and often spoke with Dynon reps who adamantly and repeatedly said their systems were not intended for IFR flight in those days.  I did put a Dynon D180 and D100 in my RV-12, and it worked fine, and a Dynon Skyview in another RV-12 for a friend.  Compared to GRT, Dynon was very tight lipped about providing schematics and pinouts for integration with other vendors (particularly Brand G).  
So, pay your money and take your chances on whether your vendor plays nice with others or is even in business a decade after you buy.
Tailwinds,
-Dan Masys
RV-10 N104LD 1275 hrs  TTSN

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 3:15 PM Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)>

I have flown an RV7 with GRT installed in it from LAS to OSH and back for Airventure in 2016. That experience was one reason I did not consider GRT for my RV10. My wife (another professional pilot) told me “We are not putting GRT in our aircraft”.  I also worked on the avionics on two other aircraft with GRT and and I was not very impressed on how easy it was to get everything working. As one of those aircraft owners remarked to me “The manuals are terrible.”   I could not disagree with that.
I installed 3 Dynon HDX screens along with all the optional components Dynon offered and a Garmin GTN650. My wife loves the panel and so do I. I will agree that a GRT panel will be cheaper, but will depress the resale value of the aircraft.

Robert Jones

> On Oct 5, 2022, at 12:53 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>
>
> My two cents: consider what Robert posted, above, but don’t go completely crazy over it. In my case, I went with a small company, GRT, because I liked their equipment, especially that it could withstand loss of gps AND airspeed and still compute a horizon, plus the whole package was noticeably less than the competition. Here I am, a dozen years later, and GRT is still there. But if they had gone out of business 6 years ago, nothing would be different, because I haven’t needed any service, software upgrades, etc. I’m happy with what I have.
> Also note that all avionics companies are prone to problems stemming from part availability. Garmin no longer supports the SL30, despite the fact that, IMHO, it remains the finest nav-com ever built (maybe the new Trig, which emmulates the SL30, will prove to be its equal). The issue is that a key integrated circuit was mass produced for a very large customer (likely a TV manufacturer). But now that TV is out of production, the avionics market is too small, so that chip is out of production. As the stockpile dwindles to zero, the SL30 cannot be economically repaired if that chip fails. The same is true of my GRT EFIS screen. It’s no longer in production, so if it fails I’m out of luck, regardless of whether or not GRT is still around.
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=508026#508026
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: