Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M14P sound during flight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapril001(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need your experience on the M14P. I am flying a Murphy Moose with a M14P 400HP engine spinning a MTV9 propeller.The airplane is on amphib floats.

The engine runs OK with all the parameters in the green. But the engine make an unusual noise when we are in flight, it makes a kind of RAA_ RAA_ RAA with a period of about 2 seconds. At 1840 RPM it is very noticable at 2000 RPM it is louder, this noise can also be felt as a vibration in the floor of the airplane. The prop check OK no loose blade or damage, it perform normally, The RPM is constant no variation seen on an 3 1/8’’ analog gauge. We can not find anything loose on the airplane, The cowling is solid, the float guide wire are tight.

Any idea what can cause this noise, it really seems to come from the engine

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
markbitterlich(at)embarqm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

I apologize for stating the obvious, but this has the feel of a prop being out of balance.

r/

Mark Bitterlich
Yak-50 N50YK

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Sylvain April
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2022 2:36 PM
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: M14P sound during flight.

Hi all,

I need your experience on the M14P. I am flying a Murphy Moose with a M14P 400HP engine spinning a MTV9 propeller.The airplane is on amphib floats.

The engine runs OK with all the parameters in the green. But the engine make an unusual noise when we are in flight, it makes a kind of RAA_ RAA_ RAA with a period of about 2 seconds. At 1840 RPM it is very noticable at 2000 RPM it is louder, this noise can also be felt as a vibration in the floor of the airplane. The prop check OK no loose blade or damage, it perform normally, The RPM is constant no variation seen on an 3 1/8’’ analog gauge. We can not find anything loose on the airplane, The cowling is solid, the float guide wire are tight.

Any idea what can cause this noise, it really seems to come from the engine.

Thanks
Sylvain April

Envoyé ŕ partir de Courrier pour Windows

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wamflight(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

We all seem to get a low frequency vibration or rough spot that it doesnt like. Does it follow when changing power setting?

Quote:
On Sep 28, 2022, at 1:38 PM, Sylvain April <sapril001(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

(at)font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; } (at)font-face { font-family: DengXian; } (at)font-face { font-family: Calibri; } (at)font-face { font-family: "(at)DengXian"; } p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; } a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; } .MsoChpDefault { } (at)page WordSection1 { size: 612pt 792pt; margin: 72pt 90pt; } div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; }
Hi all,

Thanks
Sylvain April

Envoyé à partir de Courrier pour Windows

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

I would be confident that this is a propeller balancing issue – MT props are always well balanced during manufacture, but this is only static balance, and once a propeller is mounted on an engine, then you really do need to do a dynamic balance with the proper equipment – which is widely available, particularly with people maintaining helicopters. Richard.

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN SOVIET & CHINESE RADIAL AIRCRAFT ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Sylvain April
Sent: 28 September 2022 19:36
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com

Hi all,

Thanks
Sylvain April

wamflight(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

What king did you buy and where did you mount it?

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I had a “Harmonic” on my M14P.
I purchased a prop balancer and after completing the balance the engine runs very smoothly at any RPM above a slow idle.
Mark
N621CJ.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 11:23 AM Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I would be confident that this is a propeller balancing issue – MT props are always well balanced during manufacture, but this is only static balance, and once a propeller is mounted on an engine, then you really do need to do a dynamic balance with the proper equipment – which is widely available, particularly with people maintaining helicopters. Richard.

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120  Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Sylvain April
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com (m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com)

Hi all,

Thanks
Sylvain April

--
Replied from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos in the content

wamflight(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

That’s the one I’m looking at. Send pix.
Thank u Mark.
Bill

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, at 1:29 PM, Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I purchased a Dynavibe.
I have photos of the placement of the sensors.

If you go that direction. I can tell you how I did mine.
Mark

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 2:21 PM Bill <wamflight(at)gmail.com (wamflight(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com (pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

I purchased a prop balancer and after completing the balance the engine runs very smoothly at any RPM above a slow idle.
Mark
N621CJ.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 11:23 AM Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:

Quote:

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Sylvain April

Hi all,

Thanks
Sylvain April

Quote:
Quote:

--

--

Vinnie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

Mark
I have an MT prop on my YAK50, how and where did you mount the balance weights?
Anthony 
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 14:29 Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com (pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I purchased a Dynavibe.   

If you go that direction.  I can tell you how I did mine. 
Mark

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 2:21 PM Bill <wamflight(at)gmail.com (wamflight(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com (pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Mark
N621CJ. 

Quote:

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel:  +44 (0)1544 340120   Fax:  +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

Hi all,

The engine runs OK with all the parameters in the green. But the engine make an unusual noise when we are in flight, it makes a kind of RAA_ RAA_ RAA  with a period of about 2 seconds. At 1840 RPM it is very noticable at 2000 RPM it is louder, this noise can also be felt as a vibration in the floor of the airplane. The prop check OK no loose blade or damage, it perform normally, The RPM is constant no variation seen on an 3 1/8’’ analog gauge. We can not find anything loose on the airplane, The cowling is solid, the float guide wire are tight.

Thanks
Sylvain April

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--

--

Vinnie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: M14P sound during flight. Reply with quote

Thanks I fighters that, just wanted to check, thanks again. 
Anthony 

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 14:41 Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com (pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Anthony
I have a 20 inch spinner.  The weights are bolted to the spinner backing plate.  

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 2:34 PM Anthony Spence <antspence62(at)gmail.com (antspence62(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Mark
I have an MT prop on my YAK50, how and where did you mount the balance weights?
Anthony 
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 14:29 Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com (pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I purchased a Dynavibe.   

If you go that direction.  I can tell you how I did mine. 
Mark

Quote:

Quote:

Mark
N621CJ. 

Quote:

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel:  +44 (0)1544 340120   Fax:  +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

Hi all,

The engine runs OK with all the parameters in the green. But the engine make an unusual noise when we are in flight, it makes a kind of RAA_ RAA_ RAA  with a period of about 2 seconds. At 1840 RPM it is very noticable at 2000 RPM it is louder, this noise can also be felt as a vibration in the floor of the airplane. The prop check OK no loose blade or damage, it perform normally, The RPM is constant no variation seen on an 3 1/8’’ analog gauge. We can not find anything loose on the airplane, The cowling is solid, the float guide wire are tight.

Thanks
Sylvain April

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: