Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thermocouple wire extension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Eckenroth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple wire extension Reply with quote

As I redo my Revmaster engine with the burned stator I plan to incorporate thermocouples to hopefully allow me to head off a repeat of the burned stator. In the past on both the RV and the Onex I ran the full length of the suppllied thermocouple wire and then connected to tefzel coated copper for the rest of the run to the EIS using Faston connectors. The temperature read out for both planes seems reasonable and accurate. Although it has never been checked using boiling water. Now that I'm looking into thermocouples again I read that only thermocouple wire should be used for extensions and copper wire should never be used.
So, I am looking for some guidance. Is my prior approach totally faulty producing meaningless temperature readings or are the practices I read about only required for super accurate results and what I have done in the past good enough. I will appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

Paul

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Eric Page

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermocouple wire extension Reply with quote

What follows assumes that you're using Type K thermocouples, which are made from chromel and alumel wires.

You won't be getting dead accurate readings with the copper wire extensions. That said, the amount of error is probably not huge and would be difficult to determine without comparative measurements.

Your extension has created two additional dissimilar-metal junctions in the sensor wires -- one alumel-copper, the other chromel-copper -- which will generate opposing errors of different magnitude that the instrument isn't calibrated for. The total error will depend on the temperature where those junctions are located; the higher the temp, the greater the error.

The easiest and cheapest source of chromel-alumel wire to extend Type-K sensor leads is to buy extra sensors on eBay or Amazon and cut off what you need. Just be careful to match wire types in your extensions so you don't create additional chromel-alumel junctions.

Whatever method you use to splice the extensions, it's important that the wires are in intimate physical contact. They should be crushed against one another and not depending on a third metal to interface between them.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

charlesdavis(at)iuncapped

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple wire extension Reply with quote

With regards extending the chromel/alumel, I have always twisted and
"silver soldered" the connections, and have had no issues. Crimped
connections are a second-best option
On 30/06/22 05:07 am, Eric Page wrote:
Quote:

What follows assumes that you're using Type K thermocouples, which are made from chromel and alumel wires.

You won't be getting dead accurate readings with the copper wire extensions. That said, the amount of error is probably not huge and would be difficult to determine without comparative measurements.

Your extension has created two additional dissimilar-metal junctions in the sensor wires -- one alumel-copper, the other chromel-copper -- which will generate opposing errors of different magnitude that the instrument isn't calibrated for. The total error will depend on the temperature where those junctions are located; the higher the temp, the greater the error.

The easiest and cheapest source of chromel-alumel wire to extend Type-K sensor leads is to buy extra sensors on eBay or Amazon and cut off what you need. Just be careful to match wire types in your extensions so you don't create additional chromel-alumel junctions.

Whatever method you use to splice the extensions, it's important that the wires are in intimate physical contact. They should be crushed against one another and not depending on a third metal to interface between them.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=507362#507362

Ceengland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Thermocouple wire extension Reply with quote

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 4:34 PM Paul Eckenroth <jeckenroth(at)nbn.net (jeckenroth(at)nbn.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Paul Eckenroth" <jeckenroth(at)nbn.net (jeckenroth(at)nbn.net)>

As I redo my Revmaster engine with the burned stator I plan to incorporate thermocouples to hopefully allow me to head off a repeat of the burned stator.  In the past on both the RV and the Onex I ran the full length of the suppllied thermocouple wire and then connected to tefzel coated copper for the rest of the run to the EIS using Faston connectors.  The temperature read out for both planes seems reasonable and accurate.  Although it has never been checked using boiling water.  Now that I'm looking into thermocouples again I read that only thermocouple wire should be used for extensions and copper wire should never be used.
So, I am looking for some guidance.  Is my prior approach totally faulty producing meaningless temperature readings or are the practices I read about only required for super accurate results and what I have done in the past good enough.  I will appreciate any opinions.  Thanks.

Paul

IIRC, if you keep the transitions to copper at the same temperature as the final termination point (the gauge itself), and the copper extensions are identical with each other, it's supposed to have little effect on accuracy. IIRC (again) a lot of the issues with TC accuracy were driven by the old mechanical gauges that were actually driven by the thermocouple current. Modern electronic gauges are supposed to help alleviate some of the issues inherent in the old mechanical gauges.
No recent hotel stays, so  you might want to verify the above through other sources.
Charlie

Paul Eckenroth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermocouple wire extension Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative replies concerning the wire extensions. I was able to locate thermocouples with 6" leads so I don't think that wire extensions will be an issue.

Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: