Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z-101 schematic question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heedh23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Z-101 schematic question Reply with quote

Hi all-

Following the current Z-101 / RV-10 discussion with interest, as I am beginning to plan out my own electrical system.

Two n00b questions for my education-

1. What is the significance of the ‘B’ in a circle symbol near the aux/engine bus feeder diode, the primary alternator field breaker, and the aux bus relay? I couldn’t find a definition for that symbol in my copy of the Aeroelectric Connection.

2. I am currently flying an OBAM SeaRey, which has long battery runs from nose battery to pusher engine, plus a composite hull. The RV-10 reverses the position of the battery / engine, but has similar long power runs. I got used to running thick wire through the hull Smile. My question - if the main bus fuse distribution occurs just behind the firewall and the battery is in the rear, why not power the main bus via the heavy gauge wire running from the alternator B lead/starter solenoid back to the hot side of the battery contactor rather than running a separate bus feed from the rear-mounted contactor back to the bus? I recognize that the weight of the smaller gauge bus power lead is small, and inexpensive, but it seems like a similar optimization is already happening between the starter and B lead. Merely curious.

Thanks in advance,
-Ed

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Ceengland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Z-101 schematic question Reply with quote

On 11/11/2021 10:07 AM, heedh23 wrote:
Quote:

Hi all-

Following the current Z-101 / RV-10 discussion with interest, as I am beginning to plan out my own electrical system.

Two n00b questions for my education-

1. What is the significance of the ‘B’ in a circle symbol near the aux/engine bus feeder diode, the primary alternator field breaker, and the aux bus relay? I couldn’t find a definition for that symbol in my copy of the Aeroelectric Connection.

2. I am currently flying an OBAM SeaRey, which has long battery runs from nose battery to pusher engine, plus a composite hull. The RV-10 reverses the position of the battery / engine, but has similar long power runs. I got used to running thick wire through the hull Smile. My question - if the main bus fuse distribution occurs just behind the firewall and the battery is in the rear, why not power the main bus via the heavy gauge wire running from the alternator B lead/starter solenoid back to the hot side of the battery contactor rather than running a separate bus feed from the rear-mounted contactor back to the bus? I recognize that the weight of the smaller gauge bus power lead is small, and inexpensive, but it seems like a similar optimization is already happening between the starter and B lead. Merely curious.

Thanks in advance,
-Ed
No clue on the B symbol, but I think you're describing the 'typical'

wiring method for rear bat/firewall main bus. The master contactor is at
the battery, and the load side wire comes forward to the starter
solenoid's hot side, and from there it can feed the main bus. Here's an
old hand drawn 'rear battery' setup that Bob did years ago for the Z14
diagram. Not the exact thing you're describing, but electrically the
same, if you eliminate the extra battery & crossfeed contactor.

Charlie
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Z14_w_Rear_Batteries_on_Metal_Aircraft.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Z14_w_Rear_Batteries_on_Metal_Aircraft.pdf
 Filesize:  42.14 KB
 Downloaded:  123 Time(s)

johnbright

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-101 schematic question Reply with quote

heedh23 wrote:
...What is the significance of the ‘B’ in a circle symbol near the aux/engine bus feeder diode, the primary alternator field breaker, and the aux bus relay?...

Thanks in advance,
-Ed

The circled Bs are changes at rev B. At rev A there was no diode part number, the aux bus feeder was 18 awg, and the main alternator field was thru 16 awg FLW followed by 12 awg hookup wire to the 5A breaker.

BTW, in former times, Bob used shop-made 22 awg fuse links followed by 18 awg hookup wire. He went to store-bought fuselink wire recently and the smallest available in small quantities is 20 awg.

N1921R links
heedh23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Z-101 schematic question Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie and John - that helps a lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: