Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a switch configuration that will do this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david(at)carter.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Is there a switch configuration that will do this? Reply with quote

I'd like to have a single switch control both my taxi lights & landing lights. Sounds simple enough, right? Here's the catch. I want to control the taxi lights directly from this switch by making a connection to +12v. The landing lights, however, will be controlled through the Garmin GAD 27 electrical controller "magic box" so that it can provide airspeed-based wig-wag. The GAD 27 light control switch input is active-low. 

How I'd like it to work:
1. Switch down - both lights off
2. Middle position - +12v supplied to the taxi lights. 
3. Top position - taxi lights no longer connected to +12v, GAD 27 light switch input connected to ground. 
I know I can do this with a relay, but I'd rather avoid adding an additional failure point. It's not the end of the world if I use separate switches for these functions, but I'd prefer they are combined on one switch. 
Thanks,
David
---
David Carter
david(at)carter.net (david(at)carter.net)

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
david(at)carter.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Is there a switch configuration that will do this? Reply with quote

Quote:
> There MIGHT be a simple way to do this but it
>>   depends on the 'pull down' current of the electrical

>>   controller. Is there a spec for that device that speaks
>>   to parameters of this input?

Here's what I was able to find in the installation manual: (top of page 26-8, or page 342 in Acrobat Reader)
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_an.pdf
These active-low discrete inputs conform to the following specification:

Low: Vin < 3.5 VDC, or Rin < 375 Ω (input active)
High: Vin > 8 VDC, or Rin> 100k Ω (input inactive)

---
David Carter

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 5:37 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 11:28 AM 6/17/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to have a single switch control both my taxi lights & landing lights. Sounds simple enough, right? Here's the catch. I want to control the taxi lights directly from this switch by making a connection to +12v. The landing lights, however, will be controlled through the Garmin GAD 27 electrical controller "magic box" so that it can provide airspeed-based wig-wag. The GAD 27 light control switch input is active-low.Â

How I'd like it to work:
1. Switch down - both lights off
2. Middle position -Â +12v supplied to the taxi lights.Â
3. Top position - taxi lights no longer connected to +12v, GAD 27 light switch input connected to ground.Â

I know I can do this with a relay, but I'd rather avoid adding an additional failure point. It's not the end of the world if I use separate switches for these functions, but I'd prefer they are combined on one switch.Â

There MIGHT be a simple way to do this but it
  depends on the 'pull down' current of the electrical
  controller. Is there a spec for that device that speaks
  to parameters of this input?

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
  survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
  out of that stuff?"

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a switch configuration that will do this? Reply with quote

You need a DP3T ON-ON-ON switch.
Mouser and Digikey and others sell them.
https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Toggle-Switches/_/N-5g2jZ1yzvvqx?P=1z0z2o3Z1z0z28f
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/toggle-switches/201?s=N4IgjCBcpgzADFUBjKAzAhgGwM4FMAaEAeygG0RYAWeWAdgE4QBdIgBwBcoQBlDgJwCWAOwDmIAL5EATLACsSEKkiZchEuUoAOafABseluy6ReAkeKkgAtNMXKBAV3WlIFBcwlW7bkABEABVgAFRYJIA

david(at)carter.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Is there a switch configuration that will do this? Reply with quote

Quote:
   P.S. those 'loose' components present a small
   packaging problem.  I think I'd fabricate an
   assembly-under-heat-shrink of the three compoents
   with wires coming out each end.
   Use 1/2" dual wall heat shrink . . . that's
   how I packaged a few hundred crowbar ov management
   modules.
   Your finished assembly will be about 1-1/2 inches
   long and 3/8" in diameter. It would tie nicely
   into an adjacent wire bundle. I've got all the
   materials in stock. I could build one up for you.

Bob - thanks for the solution design & for the packaging tip. I was also wondering how much heat the resistor would need to dissipate in this application? I'm guessing not much? 
---
David Carter
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 12:26 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
  This switch with addition of two
  diodes and the resistor cited above can be configured
  to accomplish the switching functions you requested.
  See attached:

P.S. those 'loose' components present a small
   packaging problem.  I think I'd fabricate an
   assembly-under-heat-shrink of the three compoents
   with wires coming out each end.

Use 1/2" dual wall heat shrink . . . that's
   how I packaged a few hundred crowbar ov management
   modules.

Your finished assembly will be about 1-1/2 inches
   long and 3/8" in diameter. It would tie nicely
   into an adjacent wire bundle. I've got all the
   materials in stock. I could build one up for you.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
  survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
  out of that stuff?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: