Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifted aircraft nose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Kirkgaard

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Lifted aircraft nose. Reply with quote

I have found that the previous owner of my Canadian imported Europa XS
have extended the vertical nose wheel spindle 50 mm and installed a 50 mm spacer.
That means that the nose is lifted 50 mm up leaving the plane in a more
nose up attitude when it's on the ground, and off course the wings in a higher AOA.
It's probable done to give more prop clearance for the 68" Woodcomp 3000/2
propeller.
Have anyone of you had experience with the behavior of the aircraft during
take off and landing with the nose gear lowered this 50 mm.
I can't really see if it matters or not.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Lifted aircraft nose. Reply with quote

Ah the longer prop is better modification.

If you retain the Woodcomp at 68 inches you will cut off the back of wheel pant if you pull it backwards and run the prop/engine on the ground.
By adding a 50mm to the spindle and a spacer, he may have changed the geometry of the antifriction plate to the horizon. This angles the spindle back and changes the castor angle and the shimmy dampener is slightly affected.

You will just have to flare completely to prevent banging down on the nosewheel first. With full flaps and attempting to stick the plane on to the runway above a normal landing speed of 45-50 KIAS you will most likely hit the nose wheel first and porpoise. Not good for any aircraft.

From an inspection standpoint I would say pay attention to the shimmy dampener plastic plate for uneven wear, and your bolts going through the gear leg for looseness and elongation. IF the bolts loosen, remove them, and check the holes have not become elongated or the bolts necked down from wear.

Increasing the ground clearance by jacking the nose up is normally not done. Today’s composite propeller manufacturers gain very little in increasing the blade length beyond 67 inches on a Rotax except for STOL operations. The loss in cruise speed between a 68 to 70 inch Whirlwind and a 64 inch Whirlwind is about one knot at cruise and takeoff distance is not affected in the constant speed prop as the added pitch accelerates about equally. In STOL aircraft, a longer blade means a bit shorter takeoff but absolutely a very much lower top end. In a glass airplane, like the Europa or Lancair 235, cruise speed difference between a 68 and 64 doesn’t matter. It is the pitch/twist of the blade on a fixed pitch and on a constant speed prop, the pitch is in the hub.  See my website for selecting a propeller for your Rotax engine.

Just my opinion,

Bud Yerly
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Kirkgaard

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted aircraft nose. Reply with quote

Thanks to you Bud, for your reply.
I checked the bolts through the nose leg a while ago, and found the bolts
to be damaged and the holes elongated.
I have enlarged the bolt holes reamed them to match some new shoulder
bolts and made sure that there is a very tight fit.
The nylon friction disc seems to be worn even.
Seems like it is possible to make acceptable landings if I just take care.
Turning the nose wheel 180 degree will result in a distance of 80 mm between the prop tip and the top of the wheel spat.
Not much space for movement if I lower it 50 mm, but on the other hand,
if I turn the the wheel backwards I may not be in a situation where the
A/C is moving up and down.

During start I could imagine, that the plane will try to get into the air,
despite insufficient air speed. Could that be the situation?

Regards John Kirkegaard

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Lifted aircraft nose. Reply with quote

Well John sounds like you have it under control.

As I said, it is important to make sure you flare it out to preserve the nose gear from hitting first.

As far as cutting the nosewheel pant when turned 180 degrees with the prop, if doing a static ground run at full power the nose can compress the nose down (more so with the bungee rather than the springs) and perhaps reduce the clearance between prop and pant.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: