Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start 914 on A, B or both?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparigoris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Start 914 on A, B or both? Reply with quote

Hi Group
When starting a 914, is it worth it to start only on Ignition B where advance is 22 BTDC? This would be a little less advance compared to Ignition A where advance is 26 BTDC. Perhaps less chance of kickbacks?
I don't have soft start.
I have heavy duty starter, Earth-X 680C and Airmaster.
I don't have the very old 914 ignition modules with different RPM and timing at lower RPMs, mine has pretty good wire strain relief from factory.

Or start on both A+B Ignitions?

Perhaps get engine cranking with ignition off till max starter RPM?

I have B&C SD20S on vacuum pad, is it worth it to start with field off?

I have a B&C AVC1 regulator for internal generator, is it worth it to start with no power going to AVC1 which will keep internal generator dead?

Thx.
Ron P.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Griffo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Start 914 on A, B or both? Reply with quote

Seeing as the more knowledgeable are not responding I will give parts of your Q a go:
Sounds like a no brainer but do not attempt to start with a weak battery. You will do damage to your starting system and have a poor start performance (especially cold engine and in cold weather)
For a cold start –
If using ULP/MoGas, it must be fresh, for best starting performance – adding a good “slug” (minimum 20 L) of fresh fuel to a slightly stale tank contents is usually sufficient to bring it up to specifications.
Make sure you run your fuel boost pump until a stable pressure is achieved (turn off).
All non-starting circuits must be off before cranking.
I like to have my choke on full (closed) with just a mm or two of throttle. This will give a very slightly higher than your minimum idle RPM.
After start - Do not be in a hurry to close your choke and then do it gradually, bringing in a bit more throttle to maintain fast idle – at choke full off, engine should be at or about 2-2200 RPM.
Hot start –
Same as above, without any choke. In fact, I like to stop/kill my engine with the RPM slightly above minimum idle, in preparation for the next start.
No start! REST THE SYSTEM to allow cooling – consider possible over rich/flooding may have occurred. If so, OPEN CHOKE & advance THROTTLE (1/3 – 1/2) – ARM BOTH IGNITIONS – when system cooled – (be sure to have brakes fully engaged) CRANK and be ready to reduce RPM (slowly)
No starter motor should be used as a prolonged cranking device – so don’t crank & then engage your ignition. Always arm your ignition (1 and/or 2) and then crank.
As for starting on ignition 1, 2 or both – I prefer both, but many pilots will start on one and then bring in the second.
Soft Start (SS)– First make doubly sure it is not fitted.
If not fitted – consider purchasing/fitting the SS fly wheel. This a fairly easy and low-cost upgrade that will give you some SS capability, without fitting the very expensive SS modules.
If you have the dollars – one SS Module and the fly wheel will give you all the SS you need.
I understand that there was a period where the SS was fitted but not necessarily connected – check for this, as I understand a small piece of wiring harness is all that is needed to bring it into effect.
Can’t answer your Q on the alternator on/off but my gut feeling is that it should make no difference to a starting system in good condition, powered by a good battery.
Your battery, start cables & connector condition is always the lowest cost key to a reliable start.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: