Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races Reply with quote

Folks,

I have a spare set of wheels that I got used from a long-ez.
I have purchased the replacement parts from Vans and would like to have the new bearing cups pressed in professionally.

Would like a local shop (DelMarVa peninsula) but willing to mail them off to a recommended shop.

Thoughts please,
Ralph Capen

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Ceengland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,
I've owned RVs almost continuously since 1994, and I've always done my own. Is your desire for a pro shop a convenience thing, or due to lack of personal experience? If the latter, you can almost certainly learn to do it yourself; it's a pretty straightforward operation. It can be accomplished with 'blacksmith level' tools (a hammer & screwdriver, & maybe a set of sockets), if you're patient and careful. I know; I've done it multiple times. 
If you really want a 'pro' to do it, any local A&P *should* be able to do it for you; I'd expect any of them that stay busy to do at least one set a month.
Happy to discuss further, if you want.
Charlie
On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Folks,

I have purchased the replacement parts from Vans and would like to have the new bearing cups pressed in professionally.

Would like a local shop (DelMarVa peninsula) but willing to mail them off to a recommended shop.

Thoughts please,
Ralph Capen

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jmsj(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races Reply with quote

I'd say about any good wheel shop should be able to press in the new races; but, it's not really a big deal to do them, yourself.  As old as I am, I replaced a set, last year. After I got over the sticker shock of the FAA approved bearings and races from Van's, I order mine from another source for less than half of Van's price. I knocked out the old races using a hammer and brass punch. It doesn't matter if the race is a little messed up, as long as the wheel isn't. To install the new races, I put the races in the freezer for a while, until I needed each one for installation. I used a plastic hammer around the race to nudge it into place. Then, I kept working the hammer around the race until I got it almost all the way in.  Then, the brass punch came out, again. Each race took just a few minutes to do; and, all have been working well, since installed.

I hope this makes it. I haven't posted on RV-list in several years. I still have my RV-6A.
Jim Sears

-------------------------------------
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday March 9 2021 12:09:37PM
Subject: RV-List: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races

Folks,

Thoughts please,
Ralph Capen

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races Reply with quote

Initially, it is for convenience and assurance of correct execution.

I have done this (decades ago) on VW’s that I have owned so it is most likely within my capabilities.
I do have a single one with a defective casting that I can practice on…..

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 12:15 PM
To: RV list <rv-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races

Hi Ralph,

I've owned RVs almost continuously since 1994, and I've always done my own. Is your desire for a pro shop a convenience thing, or due to lack of personal experience? If the latter, you can almost certainly learn to do it yourself; it's a pretty straightforward operation. It can be accomplished with 'blacksmith level' tools (a hammer & screwdriver, & maybe a set of sockets), if you're patient and careful. I know; I've done it multiple times.

If you really want a 'pro' to do it, any local A&P *should* be able to do it for you; I'd expect any of them that stay busy to do at least one set a month.

Happy to discuss further, if you want.

Charlie

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Folks,

Thoughts please,
Ralph Capen

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races Reply with quote

The races in the freezer sounds like a good tip

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Jim Sears
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 1:25 PM
To: 'rv-list(at)matronics.com' <rv-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races

I'd say about any good wheel shop should be able to press in the new races; but, it's not really a big deal to do them, yourself. As old as I am, I replaced a set, last year. After I got over the sticker shock of the FAA approved bearings and races from Van's, I order mine from another source for less than half of Van's price. I knocked out the old races using a hammer and brass punch. It doesn't matter if the race is a little messed up, as long as the wheel isn't. To install the new races, I put the races in the freezer for a while, until I needed each one for installation. I used a plastic hammer around the race to nudge it into place. Then, I kept working the hammer around the race until I got it almost all the way in. Then, the brass punch came out, again. Each race took just a few minutes to do; and, all have been working well, since installed.

I hope this makes it. I haven't posted on RV-list in several years. I still have my RV-6A.

Jim Sears

-------------------------------------
From: recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday March 9 2021 12:09:37PM
Subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races
Folks,

Thoughts please,
Ralph Capen

steve282s(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races Reply with quote

I did the same, froze the races then heated the wheel with a propane torch. The races will only need a tap with a hammer and block of wood. Totally easy

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 1:28:54 PM CST, <recapen(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

#yiv1031030980 #yiv1031030980 -- _filtered {} _filtered {} #yiv1031030980 #yiv1031030980 p.yiv1031030980MsoNormal, #yiv1031030980 li.yiv1031030980MsoNormal, #yiv1031030980 div.yiv1031030980MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;} #yiv1031030980 a:link, #yiv1031030980 span.yiv1031030980MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;} #yiv1031030980 span.yiv1031030980EmailStyle19 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;} #yiv1031030980 .yiv1031030980MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered {} #yiv1031030980 div.yiv1031030980WordSection1 {} #yiv1031030980

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Jim SearsSent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 1:25 PMTo: 'rv-list(at)matronics.com' <rv-list(at)matronics.com>Subject: RE: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races

I'd say about any good wheel shop should be able to press in the new races; but, it's not really a big deal to do them, yourself. As old as I am, I replaced a set, last year. After I got over the sticker shock of the FAA approved bearings and races from Van's, I order mine from another source for less than half of Van's price. I knocked out the old races using a hammer and brass punch. It doesn't matter if the race is a little messed up, as long as the wheel isn't. To install the new races, I put the races in the freezer for a while, until I needed each one for installation. I used a plastic hammer around the race to nudge it into place. Then, I kept working the hammer around the race until I got it almost all the way in. Then, the brass punch came out, again. Each race took just a few minutes to do; and, all have been working well, since installed.

Jim Sears

-------------------------------------From: recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)Cc: Sent: Tuesday March 9 2021 12:09:37PMSubject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races
Folks,

Thoughts please,
Ralph Capen

jmsj(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races Reply with quote

I've used wood, as well. Works if one doesn't have a brass punch, etc.. I've also heated the wheels. Like you said, the races seat very easily when the race is cold and the wheel is hot.

-----------------------------------------
To: "rv-list(at)matronics.com"
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday March 10 2021 7:11:15AM
Subject: Re: Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races

I did the same, froze the races then heated the wheel with a propane torch. The races will only need a tap with a hammer and block of wood. Totally easy

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 1:28:54 PM CST, <recapen(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: