Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repair of Apollo GX65

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgamtmann2(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Repair of Apollo GX65 Reply with quote

Does anyone know of someone that can repair an old Apollo GX 65 GPS/COM radio?  I bought it new many years ago and installed it in my RV6.  On power-up it did not work.  No xmit or receive.  The GPS window lights up and cycles thru the initial tests, so the radio is getting power properly.  I get no satisfaction from Garmin who bought the line and then deleted it from stock.  I did a bench test and it is not transmitting or receiving.

The trays will not accommodate a different radio, I would have to rebuild the whole instrument panel, but I'm leery of purchasing a used one (they are available) and might get one with the same or other problem.  At the moment we are flying with a handheld, but that's a PITA.  Any information would be welcome.
Jurgen Amtmann

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
DougW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Repair of Apollo GX65 Reply with quote

Jurgen,

Am responding to this previous inquiry prompted by your latest.  The first inquiry below gave no information as to what tests, research, etc. that was conducted to verify the radio section of this unit was not working.

And no, I do not know of a viable repair facility, but I have a thought or two.

You mention the GPS lights up, but COM does not work.  Does the display show active and standby frequencies at the bottom of the display?  If not, the first thing that came to mind is that there is no connectivity between the NAV and COM functions other than the display screen.  They are basically two separately functioning radios in a single box.  I.e., they each have their own power and ground connections.  Is yours wired up accordingly?

After verifying the power connections are getting to the radio (if not, it could be defective wiring and/or pins in the connectors), then it would be time to check the antenna connections.  If none of these work, then you may indeed have a faulty unit and your best bet is to try to find a seller willing to refund your money if the unit you purchase does not function in your system.  If you get the same results with a 2nd unit, then I would be highly suspect that it is not the unit, but something else.

For what it is worth, I do not think the GPS in these radios should be used unless you can find a source for updating the GPS card that provides that data.  So the real question is whether or not you can find a compatible unit with a working COM function.  Good luck.

Regards, Doug Windhorn

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Janet Amtmann
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 1:03 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Repair of Apollo GX65

Does anyone know of someone that can repair an old Apollo GX 65 GPS/COM radio? I bought it new many years ago and installed it in my RV6. On power-up it did not work. No xmit or receive. The GPS window lights up and cycles thru the initial tests, so the radio is getting power properly. I get no satisfaction from Garmin who bought the line and then deleted it from stock. I did a bench test and it is not transmitting or receiving.

The trays will not accommodate a different radio, I would have to rebuild the whole instrument panel, but I'm leery of purchasing a used one (they are available) and might get one with the same or other problem. At the moment we are flying with a handheld, but that's a PITA. Any information would be welcome.

Jurgen Amtmann

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: