Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar transport questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaydub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

Long story short, I need to transport a partially finished Firestar kit.  It is everything minus engine, prop, and instruments.  The wings have the ribs installed and the ailerons are built but neither the wings nor ailerons are covered (which means I can't poke holes in the fabric yet Smile ).  The fuselage cage is also not covered and at a point it can easily be unbolted from the boom tube.  I'm turning to you folks as I'm sure you have "been there and done that."  

I have an older Sienna Minivan with over 220k miles on it and I have an OPEN (as in not enclosed) single-axle homemade trailer that is more than long enough to accomodate wings and even a complete Firestar.  The trailer is fairly light as I'd guess it's around 350-400 lbs.

I have two options to transport:
1. I can haul a trailer half way across the country that I can lay down the wings, ailerons, and boom tube on a couple of mattresses on the deck and secure for the trip.  My plan then would be to put the fuselage cage inside the van along with the nose pod, hardware, landing gear, wheels, fuel tank, and the rest.  My concern with the trailer route is I need to travel a long distance with a van that isn't really made for towing with a transmission with a lot of miles on it already.  
2. I can build a wooden roof rack to hold the wing structures and ailerons, as well as add a piece off the side to hold the boom tube.  I'm not worried about scratching the roof of the old van.  Then again, I'd put the rest inside the van for the trip.  This wouldn't stress the transmission nearly as much.

I'm going to think out loud so forgive me, I guess I might have a third or fourth option which would be not to take the boom off the fuselage, roll the assembly onto the trailer backwards and secure.  Can I then fit 2 wings under the fuselage?  Or, can I attach the wings and fold them to the tail, support the boom (my trailer has a boat winch on a post that can be replaced with a cradle for the boom) and haul it as one unit?  Would the wind buffeting on an open trailer for that long of a trip damage the wings in the folded position?  This option still leaves me pulling a trailer with a tired van with lots more wind drag.

For those of you that have hauled these things before, has anyone made a roof rack and how did it work?  If you have used an open trailer to haul one how did that go?

One last question to know if any of these ideas will work, I understand the fuselage cage is about 4' tall and 8' long.  How wide is it with the gear legs off it?  It won't fit upright into the van but I think if I lay it on it's side it should go right in as I doubt it's 4' wide as I'm guessing it's about 3' wide but that's a guess.

Of course I could rent an enclosed moving truck but that adds a lot to the expense.  If the transmission of the van goes Kaput on the trip, we've gotten our money's worth out of the van so I wouldn't have an expense to fix it as we already have the money to replace the van completely with a newer one.

Any thoughts or experiences?  Any photos to show and tell?

Thanks,
Jay

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

Buy a cheap airline ticket to where its located and rent a one way box van.
Just a suggestion.
George Helton
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 1, 2021, at 4:20 PM, Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com> wrote:

Long story short, I need to transport a partially finished Firestar kit. It is everything minus engine, prop, and instruments. The wings have the ribs installed and the ailerons are built but neither the wings nor ailerons are covered (which means I can't poke holes in the fabric yet Smile ). The fuselage cage is also not covered and at a point it can easily be unbolted from the boom tube. I'm turning to you folks as I'm sure you have "been there and done that."

I have an older Sienna Minivan with over 220k miles on it and I have an OPEN (as in not enclosed) single-axle homemade trailer that is more than long enough to accomodate wings and even a complete Firestar. The trailer is fairly light as I'd guess it's around 350-400 lbs.

1. I can haul a trailer half way across the country that I can lay down the wings, ailerons, and boom tube on a couple of mattresses on the deck and secure for the trip. My plan then would be to put the fuselage cage inside the van along with the nose pod, hardware, landing gear, wheels, fuel tank, and the rest. My concern with the trailer route is I need to travel a long distance with a van that isn't really made for towing with a transmission with a lot of miles on it already.
2. I can build a wooden roof rack to hold the wing structures and ailerons, as well as add a piece off the side to hold the boom tube. I'm not worried about scratching the roof of the old van. Then again, I'd put the rest inside the van for the trip. This wouldn't stress the transmission nearly as much.

I'm going to think out loud so forgive me, I guess I might have a third or fourth option which would be not to take the boom off the fuselage, roll the assembly onto the trailer backwards and secure. Can I then fit 2 wings under the fuselage? Or, can I attach the wings and fold them to the tail, support the boom (my trailer has a boat winch on a post that can be replaced with a cradle for the boom) and haul it as one unit? Would the wind buffeting on an open trailer for that long of a trip damage the wings in the folded position? This option still leaves me pulling a trailer with a tired van with lots more wind drag.

For those of you that have hauled these things before, has anyone made a roof rack and how did it work? If you have used an open trailer to haul one how did that go?

One last question to know if any of these ideas will work, I understand the fuselage cage is about 4' tall and 8' long. How wide is it with the gear legs off it? It won't fit upright into the van but I think if I lay it on it's side it should go right in as I doubt it's 4' wide as I'm guessing it's about 3' wide but that's a guess.

Of course I could rent an enclosed moving truck but that adds a lot to the expense. If the transmission of the van goes Kaput on the trip, we've gotten our money's worth out of the van so I wouldn't have an expense to fix it as we already have the money to replace the van completely with a newer one.

Any thoughts or experiences? Any photos to show and tell?

Thanks,
Jay

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

Jay- I hauled an old Firestar on a rented U-Haul car trailer. I loaded it backwards, wings attached. I secured the boom tube and cage with engine, nosecone, landing gear, etc., using cheap ratchet straps. Then I folded the wings. I covered it all with a blue tarp, and roped it to secure. I would stop every few miles until I was sure nothing had moved. My trip was only about 60 miles, and all under 45 mph. Good luck.

Bill Sullivan

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 04:18:17 PM EST, Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com> wrote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com (bearhawk(at)gmx.com)>

Long story short, I need to transport a partially finished Firestar kit. It is everything minus engine, prop, and instruments. The wings have the ribs installed and the ailerons are built but neither the wings nor ailerons are covered (which means I can't poke holes in the fabric yet Smile ). The fuselage cage is also not covered and at a point it can easily be unbolted from the boom tube. I'm turning to you folks as I'm sure you have "been there and done that."

I have an older Sienna Minivan with over 220k miles on it and I have an OPEN (as in not enclosed) single-axle homemade trailer that is more than long enough to accomodate wings and even a complete Firestar. The trailer is fairly light as I'd guess it's around 350-400 lbs.

1. I can haul a trailer half way across the country that I can lay down the wings, ailerons, and boom tube on a couple of mattresses on the deck and secure for the trip. My plan then would be to put the fuselage cage inside the van along with the nose pod, hardware, landing gear, wheels, fuel tank, and the rest. My concern with the trailer route is I need to travel a long distance with a van that isn't really made for towing with a transmission with a lot of miles on it already.

2. I can build a wooden roof rack to hold the wing structures and ailerons, as well as add a piece off the side to hold the boom tube. I'm not worried about scratching the roof of the old van. Then again, I'd put the rest inside the van for the trip. This wouldn't stress the transmission nearly as much.

I'm going to think out loud so forgive me, I guess I might have a third or fourth option which would be not to take the boom off the fuselage, roll the assembly onto the trailer backwards and secure. Can I then fit 2 wings under the fuselage? Or, can I attach the wings and fold them to the tail, support the boom (my trailer has a boat winch on a post that can be replaced with a cradle for the boom) and haul it as one unit? Would the wind buffeting on an open trailer for that long of a trip damage the wings in the folded position? This option still leaves me pulling a trailer with a tired van with lots more wind drag.

For those of you that have hauled these things before, has anyone made a roof rack and how did it work? If you have used an open trailer to haul one how did that go?

One last question to know if any of these ideas will work, I understand the fuselage cage is about 4' tall and 8' long. How wide is it with the gear legs off it? It won't fit upright into the van but I think if I lay it on it's side it should go right in as I doubt it's 4' wide as I'm guessing it's about 3' wide but that's a guess.

Of course I could rent an enclosed moving truck but that adds a lot to the expense. If the transmission of the van goes Kaput on the trip, we've gotten our money's worth out of the van so I wouldn't have an expense to fix it as we already have the money to replace the van completely with a newer one.

Any thoughts or experiences? Any photos to show and tell?

Thanks,

_=====================

http://forums.matronics.com

======================
http://wiki.matron========================

Ceengland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

On 2/1/2021 3:17 PM, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:

Long story short, I need to transport a partially finished Firestar kit.  It is everything minus engine, prop, and instruments.  The wings have the ribs installed and the ailerons are built but neither the wings nor ailerons are covered (which means I can't poke holes in the fabric yet Smile ).  The fuselage cage is also not covered and at a point it can easily be unbolted from the boom tube.  I'm turning to you folks as I'm sure you have "been there and done that."

I have an older Sienna Minivan with over 220k miles on it and I have an OPEN (as in not enclosed) single-axle homemade trailer that is more than long enough to accomodate wings and even a complete Firestar.  The trailer is fairly light as I'd guess it's around 350-400 lbs.

1. I can haul a trailer half way across the country that I can lay down the wings, ailerons, and boom tube on a couple of mattresses on the deck and secure for the trip.  My plan then would be to put the fuselage cage inside the van along with the nose pod, hardware, landing gear, wheels, fuel tank, and the rest.  My concern with the trailer route is I need to travel a long distance with a van that isn't really made for towing with a transmission with a lot of miles on it already.
2. I can build a wooden roof rack to hold the wing structures and ailerons, as well as add a piece off the side to hold the boom tube.  I'm not worried about scratching the roof of the old van.  Then again, I'd put the rest inside the van for the trip.  This wouldn't stress the transmission nearly as much.

I'm going to think out loud so forgive me, I guess I might have a third or fourth option which would be not to take the boom off the fuselage, roll the assembly onto the trailer backwards and secure.  Can I then fit 2 wings under the fuselage?  Or, can I attach the wings and fold them to the tail, support the boom (my trailer has a boat winch on a post that can be replaced with a cradle for the boom) and haul it as one unit?  Would the wind buffeting on an open trailer for that long of a trip damage the wings in the folded position?  This option still leaves me pulling a trailer with a tired van with lots more wind drag.

For those of you that have hauled these things before, has anyone made a roof rack and how did it work?  If you have used an open trailer to haul one how did that go?

One last question to know if any of these ideas will work, I understand the fuselage cage is about 4' tall and 8' long.  How wide is it with the gear legs off it?  It won't fit upright into the van but I think if I lay it on it's side it should go right in as I doubt it's 4' wide as I'm guessing it's about 3' wide but that's a guess.

Of course I could rent an enclosed moving truck but that adds a lot to the expense.  If the transmission of the van goes Kaput on the trip, we've gotten our money's worth out of the van so I wouldn't have an expense to fix it as we already have the money to replace the van completely with a newer one.

Any thoughts or experiences?  Any photos to show and tell?

Thanks,
Jay
No way to address your van reliability issues. Smile But I can offer my

experiences for perspective. About 30 years ago, I bought a Dragonfly
(the Quickie looking one; not the UL tow plane) that only had about 3
hrs on it. Disassembled into fuselage, wing, canard. Bought a little
shop-built 4' x 8' trailer locally and towed the fuselage from Michigan
to MS using a Toyota Corolla FX16. IIRC the car normally got ~30 mpg
highway and got ~18 mpg pulling the trailer. Went back a couple of weeks
later with roof racks instead of the trailer for the wing & canard. With
them on the roof, I had to run the car in 4th gear instead of 5th, to
maintain ~60 mph on the interstate. Got ~13-14 mpg. So, the car was
working a *lot* harder shoving that 'wall' through the air than it did
pulling the much heavier trailer/fuselage, which as a bit better
streamlined.

A few years ago, I bought a Twinstar Mk1 basket case (former flying a/c
but in need of total restore) from a friend in FL. Cover still on wings
& tail. We loaded the fuselage on the trailer facing forward. We
attached the wings (wings and tail in folded position), and supported
the wings back at the tail independently from the fuselage support,
which was also supported at a point just in front of the tail section
(to take the load of the tailwheel). That is apparently the 'normal' way
to transport that model on a trailer; he had a padded dolly configured
to support the fuselage and tail that he gave me & we used. The trailer
was originally shop-built using heavy walled 'drill stem' tubing (rather
heavy) to haul a T-18 homebuilt a/c. I hauled that package, including a
couple hundred pounds of tools, etc, with a very basic Saturn Ion. IIRC,
I got around 16 mpg (~25 typical) on the return trip from FL towing the
trailer. The Kolb made the trip fine, with the exception of multiple
holes in the fabric due to me not securing some of the cables and
tie-down strap ends, that hammered the fabric in the 70 mph wind on the
interstate.

Hope that will help you with some perspective...

Charlie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

go to ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>On 2/1/2021 3:17 PM, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com (bearhawk(at)gmx.com)>Long story short, I need to transport a partially finished Firestar kit. It is everything minus engine, prop, and instruments. The wings have the ribs installed and the ailerons are built but neither the wings nor ailerons are covered (which means I can't poke holes in the fabric yet Smile ). The fuselage cage is also not covered and at a point it can easily be unbolted from the boom tube. I'm turning to you folks as I'm sure you have "been there and done that." I have an older Sienna Minivan with over 220k miles on it and I have an OPEN (as in not enclosed) single-axle homemade trailer that is more than long enough to accomodate wings and even a complete Firestar. The trailer is fairly light as I'd guess it's around 350-400 lbs. I have two options to transport:1. I can haul a trailer half way across the country that I can lay down the wings, ailerons, and boom tube on a couple of mattresses on the deck and secure for the trip. My plan then would be to put the fuselage cage inside the van along with the nose pod, hardware, landing gear, wheels, fuel tank, and the rest. My concern with the trailer route is I need to travel a long distance with a van that isn't really made for towing with a transmission with a lot of miles on it already.2. I can build a wooden roof rack to hold the wing structures and ailerons, as well as add a piece off the side to hold the boom tube. I'm not worried about scratching the roof of the old van. Then again, I'd put the rest inside the van for the trip. This wouldn't stress the transmission nearly as much. I'm going to think out loud so forgive me, I guess I might have a third or fourth option which would be not to take the boom off the fuselage, roll the assembly onto the trailer backwards and secure. Can I then fit 2 wings under the fuselage? Or, can I attach the wings and fold them to the tail, support the boom (my trailer has a boat winch on a post that can be replaced with a cradle for the boom) and haul it as one unit? Would the wind buffeting on an open trailer for that long of a trip damage the wings in the folded position? This option still leaves me pulling a trailer with a tired van with lots more wind drag. For those of you that have hauled these things before, has anyone made a roof rack and how did it work? If you have used an open trailer to haul one how did that go? One last question to know if any of these ideas will work, I understand the fuselage cage is about 4' tall and 8' long. How wide is it with the gear legs off it? It won't fit upright into the van but I think if I lay it on it's side it should go right in as I doubt it's 4' wide as I'm guessing it's about 3' wide but that's a guess. Of course I could rent an enclosed moving truck but that adds a lot to the expense. If the transmission of the van goes Kaput on the trip, we've gotten our money's worth out of the van so I wouldn't have an expense to fix it as we already have the money to replace the van completely with a newer one. Any thoughts or experiences? Any photos to show and tell? Thanks,Jay
No way to address your van reliability issues. Smile But I can offer my experiences for perspective. About 30 years ago, I bought a Dragonfly (the Quickie looking one; not the UL tow plane) that only had about 3 hrs on it. Disassembled into fuselage, wing, canard. Bought a little shop-built 4' x 8' trailer locally and towed the fuselage from Michigan to MS using a Toyota Corolla FX16. IIRC the car normally got ~30 mpg highway and got ~18 mpg pulling the trailer. Went back a couple of weeks later with roof racks instead of the trailer for the wing & canard. With them on the roof, I had to run the car in 4th gear instead of 5th, to maintain ~60 mph on the interstate. Got ~13-14 mpg. So, the car was working a *lot* harder shoving that 'wall' through the air than it did pulling the much heavier trailer/fuselage, which as a bit better streamlined.A few years ago, I bought a Twinstar Mk1 basket case (former flying a/c but in need of total restore) from a friend in FL. Cover still on wings & tail. We loaded the fuselage on the trailer facing forward. We attached the wings (wings and tail in folded position), and supported the wings back at the tail independently from the fuselage support, which was also supported at a point just in front of the tail section (to take the load of the tailwheel). That is apparently the 'normal' way to transport that model on a trailer; he had a padded dolly configured to support the fuselage and tail that he gave me & we used. The trailer was originally shop-built using heavy walled 'drill stem' tubing (rather heavy) to haul a T-18 homebuilt a/c. I hauled that package, including a couple hundred pounds of tools, etc, with a very basic Saturn Ion. IIRC, I got around 16 mpg (~25 typical) on the return trip from FL towing the trailer. The Kolb made the trip fine, with the exception of multiple holes in the fabric due to me not securing some of the cables and tie-down strap ends, that hammered the fabric in the 70 mph wind on the interstate.Hope that will help you with some perspective...Charlie-- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.https://www.avast.com/antivirus
[/quote]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

thats oh2fly.net
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2021, at 5:02 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On 2/1/2021 3:17 PM, Jay Dub wrote:
>
>
> Long story short, I need to transport a partially finished Firestar kit. It is everything minus engine, prop, and instruments. The wings have the ribs installed and the ailerons are built but neither the wings nor ailerons are covered (which means I can't poke holes in the fabric yet Smile ). The fuselage cage is also not covered and at a point it can easily be unbolted from the boom tube. I'm turning to you folks as I'm sure you have "been there and done that."
> I have an older Sienna Minivan with over 220k miles on it and I have an OPEN (as in not enclosed) single-axle homemade trailer that is more than long enough to accomodate wings and even a complete Firestar. The trailer is fairly light as I'd guess it's around 350-400 lbs.
> I have two options to transport:
> 1. I can haul a trailer half way across the country that I can lay down the wings, ailerons, and boom tube on a couple of mattresses on the deck and secure for the trip. My plan then would be to put the fuselage cage inside the van along with the nose pod, hardware, landing gear, wheels, fuel tank, and the rest. My concern with the trailer route is I need to travel a long distance with a van that isn't really made for towing with a transmission with a lot of miles on it already.
> 2. I can build a wooden roof rack to hold the wing structures and ailerons, as well as add a piece off the side to hold the boom tube. I'm not worried about scratching the roof of the old van. Then again, I'd put the rest inside the van for the trip. This wouldn't stress the transmission nearly as much.
> I'm going to think out loud so forgive me, I guess I might have a third or fourth option which would be not to take the boom off the fuselage, roll the assembly onto the trailer backwards and secure. Can I then fit 2 wings under the fuselage? Or, can I attach the wings and fold them to the tail, support the boom (my trailer has a boat winch on a post that can be replaced with a cradle for the boom) and haul it as one unit? Would the wind buffeting on an open trailer for that long of a trip damage the wings in the folded position? This option still leaves me pulling a trailer with a tired van with lots more wind drag.
> For those of you that have hauled these things before, has anyone made a roof rack and how did it work? If you have used an open trailer to haul one how did that go?
> One last question to know if any of these ideas will work, I understand the fuselage cage is about 4' tall and 8' long. How wide is it with the gear legs off it? It won't fit upright into the van but I think if I lay it on it's side it should go right in as I doubt it's 4' wide as I'm guessing it's about 3' wide but that's a guess.
> Of course I could rent an enclosed moving truck but that adds a lot to the expense. If the transmission of the van goes Kaput on the trip, we've gotten our money's worth out of the van so I wouldn't have an expense to fix it as we already have the money to replace the van completely with a newer one.
> Any thoughts or experiences? Any photos to show and tell?
> Thanks,
> Jay
No way to address your van reliability issues. Smile But I can offer my experiences for perspective. About 30 years ago, I bought a Dragonfly (the Quickie looking one; not the UL tow plane) that only had about 3 hrs on it. Disassembled into fuselage, wing, canard. Bought a little shop-built 4' x 8' trailer locally and towed the fuselage from Michigan to MS using a Toyota Corolla FX16. IIRC the car normally got ~30 mpg highway and got ~18 mpg pulling the trailer. Went back a couple of weeks later with roof racks instead of the trailer for the wing & canard. With them on the roof, I had to run the car in 4th gear instead of 5th, to maintain ~60 mph on the interstate. Got ~13-14 mpg. So, the car was working a *lot* harder shoving that 'wall' through the air than it did pulling the much heavier trailer/fuselage, which as a bit better streamlined.

A few years ago, I bought a Twinstar Mk1 basket case (former flying a/c but in need of total restore) from a friend in FL. Cover still on wings & tail. We loaded the fuselage on the trailer facing forward. We attached the wings (wings and tail in folded position), and supported the wings back at the tail independently from the fuselage support, which was also supported at a point just in front of the tail section (to take the load of the tailwheel). That is apparently the 'normal' way to transport that model on a trailer; he had a padded dolly configured to support the fuselage and tail that he gave me & we used. The trailer was originally shop-built using heavy walled 'drill stem' tubing (rather heavy) to haul a T-18 homebuilt a/c. I hauled that package, including a couple hundred pounds of tools, etc, with a very basic Saturn Ion. IIRC, I got around 16 mpg (~25 typical) on the return trip from FL towing the trailer. The Kolb made the trip fine, with the exception of multiple holes in the fabric due to me not securing some of the cables and tie-down strap ends, that hammered the fabric in the 70 mph wind on the interstate.

Hope that will help you with some perspective...

Charlie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

jaydub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

I appreciate all the info.  I did get some ideas from many of the photos of trailering and your suggestions.  I looked at what it would cost to rent a moving truck but I live in a state that many people are moving to so the price is a bit steep now.  I could rent a truck to go the other way and I bet it's a lot cheaper.

I'll see what I can do with a roof rack and if I can't make that work I'll pull my open trailer after the salt is gone off the roads so I don't get salt splash on parts.

Thanks,
Jay

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

Jay- Where are you going to and from?

Bill Sullivan
do not archive

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 04:05:11 PM EST, Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com> wrote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com (bearhawk(at)gmx.com)>

I appreciate all the info. I did get some ideas from many of the photos of trailering and your suggestions. I looked at what it would cost to rent a moving truck but I live in a state that many people are moving to so the price is a bit steep now. I could rent a truck to go the other way and I bet it's a lot cheaper.

I'll see what I can do with a roof rack and if I can't make that work I'll pull my open trailer after the salt is gone off the roads so I don't get salt splash on parts.

Thanks,

Jay

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -

http://forums.matronbsp; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -

http://wiki.matronics.com

_-========================sp; - List Contribution Web Site -

http://www.matronics.com/contributi======================

craddojc(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

Jay,
Good luck with moving the Firestar! Regarding the rental truck option: Taking a one-way flight from Denver, CO, I transported a complete Ultrastar from Madison, WI back to Denver using an 16' Budget truck rental. One-way, this was a 1000 mile move. The Ultrastar fuselage had boom tube attached. Wings, rudder, and horiz stabs were removed and mounted inside the truck. The tail stuck out of the trailer by about 4'. No real problems occurred.
Some things I learned:
Quote:
One way rentals are harder to find than 2-way, but they are out there.
Truck prices vary wildly - even from same company, at locations just a few miles apart. It saved 50% to rent the truck from the Budget office in downtown Madison instead of their office at the Madison airport.
Budget was way cheaper than Penske.
Total cost was about $750 for the Budget truck rental, about $150 for one way airfare, and about $100 for gas, motel, and food along the way. This was back in 2017.
To get the Ultrastar mounted inside the rental truck took about 2 hrs work - the fabric-covered wings had to be carefully hung from the interior walls of the truck, and the fuselage had to be anchored inside the truck with rope tied to 3/8" screw eyes driven into the wooden floor of the truck.

Hope this helps..
Jeff in Colorado

chic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

I have done this 4 times....fast and for cheap! give me some info, where is the plane and where are you? Chic

Pfatchantz(at)protonmail.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Firestar transport questions Reply with quote

I transported a firestar II from Slocum Alabama to Ky..600 plus miles...16 foot trailer with the plane's nose pointed forward...wings attached...rachet the wheels down to the front rail and support the wings on thick foam cushions and anchor them with straps taking care to use foam cushions where the straps wrap over the wings...Then pull the straps tight such that the rear of the wings sink into the foam just a bit...Lift the tail in the air by using as many cushions of foam as is necessary..strap it down and head for home...stay off of the interstates!!! Take your time and drive 55 mph two lanes on the way home. I drove 231 north from below montgomery Ala to near Scottsville,KY where I live..no worries... I knew that I did not want to take I 65 back for the road is rough and everyone is driving 75 to 90 miles an hour...Very pleasant drive coming home...Alabama is a scenic state with some quaint towns ...Herb

ps...Rev. Pike....did you make your wing hinges or buy them? The Firestar II that I have in Wisconsin is missing wings and tail feathers...which I have , thanks to you and a gentleman near Chattanooga. Is it worth 900 bucks?? Smile [img]cid:4852987d(at)protonmail.ch[/img]

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 11:52 PM, Jeff Craddock <craddojc(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:
Jay,

Good luck with moving the Firestar! Regarding the rental truck option: Taking a one-way flight from Denver, CO, I transported a complete Ultrastar from Madison, WI back to Denver using an 16' Budget truck rental. One-way, this was a 1000 mile move. The Ultrastar fuselage had boom tube attached. Wings, rudder, and horiz stabs were removed and mounted inside the truck. The tail stuck out of the trailer by about 4'.No real problems occurred.

Some things I learned:

Quote:
One way rentals are harder to find than 2-way, but they are out there.

Truck prices vary wildly - even from same company, at locations just a few miles apart. It saved 50% to rent the truck from the Budget office in downtown Madison instead of their office at the Madison airport.

Budget was way cheaper than Penske.

Total cost was about $750 for the Budget truck rental, about $150 for one way airfare, and about $100 for gas, motel, and food along the way.This was back in 2017.

To get the Ultrastar mounted inside the rental truck took about 2 hrs work - the fabric-covered wings had to be carefully hung from the interior walls of the truck, and the fuselage had to be anchored inside the truck with rope tied to 3/8" screw eyes driven into the wooden floor of the truck.

Hope this helps..

Jeff in Colorado

Kolb_fuse_wisconsin.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.92 MB
 Viewed:  4517 Time(s)

Kolb_fuse_wisconsin.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: