Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul.the.aviator(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

Hi Bud (and anyone else who is knowledgeable on the topic)
I was once told l that there is an ideal front wheel position for tail drggers, something like 100mm in front of the MAC and that wheel placement of the mono was not ideal.  I can't remember where I heard this or if it was from a knowledgeable source.
Would you happen to know if there is any validity in this?
Thanks and regards, Paul

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
John Wighton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

Paul,

You directed the question to Bud, however, I have some input that may be of interest.

Inevitably things are more complex than just quoting a single dimension. What might be true for a Taylor Titch will most likely be incorrect for a DC-3!

I recommend you obtain a copy of Darrol Stinton's excellent book "Design of the Aeroplane". I attach an extract (with due acknowledgement and credit to his estate) that may help. I do recommend you get a copy of the book.

Pazmany also deals with these matters, books available from the LAA (and elsewhere).

Regards
John

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

2021-01-18_09-21-09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.99 KB
 Viewed:  3421 Time(s)

2021-01-18_09-21-09.jpg

flyingphil2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

You trimmed the bottom of the page off John.

Here is the full page, I've been looking at it recently and the bottom image is relevant too.

IMG_9724.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.92 MB
 Viewed:  3405 Time(s)

IMG_9724.jpg

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

From history Paul.

Raise the popular tail wheel aircraft and note the position in level attitude of the main axle to the leading edge of the mean aerodynamic chord.
If you drop a plumb bob from the leading edge of a say a 7AC Champ or Citabria (rectangular wing so the mac is the leading edge) the string goes through the axle.

There are many aerodynamic effects as well as geometry effects to positioning landing gear for a delightful conventional setup.
As you push the stick forward, the main wing begins to go negative preventing nose over as the tail cannot overpower the wings negative lift.
The gear length allows a very near stall attitude at touchdown.
The elevator position is such that it is above the wing downwash at touchdown for stalled landings.
Rudder area is such that the rudder can control the aircraft below stall speed.
Fuselage area vs tail area and sideslip capability for crosswinds.

Geometry is important also. Much has been written:
The angle of the gear to the CG to the vertical CG axis longitudinally.
The angle of the gear to the CG laterally for stability.
Tail volume and length in relation to the gear. (AKA short coupled)
Tail wheel to main gear distance in relation to gear width.
Main gear movement in relation to touchdown forces (splay, compression, springiness etc.).

All these things determine whether a conventional gear aircraft is delightful or a handful to land.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Paul McAllister
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2021 10:16 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Europa-List: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly

I was once told l that there is an ideal front wheel position for tail drggers, something like 100mm in front of the MAC and that wheel placement of the mono was not ideal. I can't remember where I heard this or if it was from a knowledgeable source.

Thanks and regards, Paul

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

Bud,
Do you know where the mono stacks up in these params?
Cheers and thx,
Pete

Quote:
On Jan 18, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com> wrote:

<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
From history Paul.

Raise the popular tail wheel aircraft and note the position in level attitude of the main axle to the leading edge of the mean aerodynamic chord.
If you drop a plumb bob from the leading edge of a say a 7AC Champ or Citabria (rectangular wing so the mac is the leading edge) the string goes through the axle.

There are many aerodynamic effects as well as geometry effects to positioning landing gear for a delightful conventional setup.
As you push the stick forward, the main wing begins to go negative preventing nose over as the tail cannot overpower the wings negative lift.
The elevator position is such that it is above the wing downwash at touchdown for stalled landings.

Main gear movement in relation to touchdown forces (splay, compression, springiness etc.).

All these things determine whether a conventional gear aircraft is delightful or a handful to land.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Paul McAllister
Subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly

I was once told l that there is an ideal front wheel position for tail drggers, something like 100mm in front of the MAC and that wheel placement of the mono was not ideal. I can't remember where I heard this or if it was from a knowledgeable source.

Thanks and regards, Paul

paul.the.aviator(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

Bud, thanks for your reply. Pete has already jumped in and asked my next question. Thanks again, Paul

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 8:22 AM Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

Quote:

From history Paul.

If you drop a plumb bob from the leading edge of a say a 7AC Champ or Citabria (rectangular wing so the mac is the leading edge)  the string goes through the axle.

Geometry is important also.  Much has been written:

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Paul McAllister
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)

I was once told l that there is an ideal front wheel position for tail drggers, something like 100mm in front of the MAC and that wheel placement of the mono was not ideal.  I can't remember where I heard this or if it was from a knowledgeable source.

Thanks and regards, Paul

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

Pete,

Years ago I looked and we are geometrically at the leading edge of the triangle.
It is controllable, longitudinal wise.

Not unlike the early Maule and Pilatus with their forward placed gear, the planes were reluctant to wheel land nicely.
The mono I have discussed before. There are problems with a low stance fully flapped plane approaching ground effect so as one would expect just looking at the aircraft. It will be reluctant to wheel land easily as the CG to gear to MAC places the gear a bit forward. At a point where the downwash on the tail plane is diminished by the runway, this causes the nose to drop (many folks just never see this effect), the main wheel then contacts the surface first. As the main wheel contacts, the tail drops due to momentum of the CG to main wheel distance, the tail drops increasing the angle of attack and the springiness of the gear shoots the plane back to a flying attitude again and the prudent pilot will go around. My reflexes aren’t quick enough to stop this near landing speed. With a lot of speed it can be done but then there are other problems being at speed on the ground in the mono.

The mono will delightfully obey a tail wheel first landing if the pilot anticipates the stab unloading due to downwash. It is not happy being stalled and dropped in, especially if slightly askew to the alignment. I’ve written how I land the mono. That method works for me. I have access to a long runway and use it to slow flight my way to feel my way to a nose high three point (two point) landing tail wheel first. Others, on short runways, come in slow I’m told (at about 55 Kts) and are able to round out tail wheel first and as the plane “settles” they hold the nose up and stick it. This requires deft skill and comfort in their aircraft.

In testing with the stall strips, this was an irritant to me as the wing would unzip and quit flying just as I needed a bit more lift to stick the tail wheel first. Lee Ohlmernick was patient with me and allowed me to work on my slow flight down the runway until I could see the point where the stab lost its power due to ground effect causing the nose to drop. Keeping the pitch attitude for landing (not allowing the nose to drop) then was just a slow flight technique in ground effect to be mastered. Once I had the motor skill to add the right amount of stick just as ground effect took away a bit of stab authority (keep the landing attitude) touchdowns suddenly became routine. I still go through a ritual on downwind of warming up my toes by quickly adding small amounts of rudder back and forth to prepare my stiff old ankles for the small amounts of movement necessary to maintain precise directional control.

I am not a gifted pilot. It took practice. It took flying often. It took patience.

Do not neglect the importance of takeoff control either. I have sat through a number of hair raising events in the Mono. All on takeoff. Tail wheel control is essential. Keep the stick back on power application and be disciplined on directional control. Do not allow any deviation from the centerline. Once above 35-40 Kts relax the death grip on the aft stick and concentrate on the takeoff attitude (landing attitude) and maintain the pitch attitude until safely slow flighted off the runway and accelerating. Never allow the nose to rise quickly as a stall may occur, maintain the pitch attitude. One can bring the tail up on the main above about 35 Kts, but remember, you are now in a not quite ready to fly airplane and you will need all your flight controls to maintain pitch and alignment until flight speed. I prefer to just slow flight the plane off the ground. Just as the main wheel begins to extend, hold that pitch attitude and it is delightful even with an 80HP engine and fixed prop. Once off the ground, simply lower the nose a bit to increase acceleration. Never put in full aileron on crosswind takeoffs as the plane will roll quite quickly at the stall. Practice your slow flight at altitude and see for yourself. Cross winds in the Europa Mono are a bit strange to most because it takes virtually no aileron to kick out the crab on landing. Hence on takeoff, full aileron into the wind gives the pilot no feel of the speed and once the nose comes off the ground, the down aileron wing can stall. Slow flight is the key for me. Practicing slow flight at altitude and then again down the runway is how I relearn my mono feel. If I can fly 1000 feet down the runway in the slow flight attitude and speed, I can land.

Keep it straight, and the stick back.
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Pete
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly

Bud,

Cheers and thx,

Pete

Quote:

On Jan 18, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

From history Paul.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Paul McAllister
Subject: Europa-List: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly

Thanks and regards, Paul

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

Hi Bud,
Thx for the info as always!
I have never noticed the stab/ground effect deminishing authority..... ill have to feel for it in the future Smile
I luv the handling of my mono. EZPZ compared to my hummelbird lol.
https://youtu.be/1Wmep_9O5QU
Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On Jan 18, 2021, at 10:53 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com> wrote:

<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Pete,

Years ago I looked and we are geometrically at the leading edge of the triangle.
It is controllable, longitudinal wise.

Not unlike the early Maule and Pilatus with their forward placed gear, the planes were reluctant to wheel land nicely.
The mono I have discussed before. There are problems with a low stance fully flapped plane approaching ground effect so as one would expect just looking at the aircraft. It will be reluctant to wheel land easily as the CG to gear to MAC places the gear a bit forward. At a point where the downwash on the tail plane is diminished by the runway, this causes the nose to drop (many folks just never see this effect), the main wheel then contacts the surface first. As the main wheel contacts, the tail drops due to momentum of the CG to main wheel distance, the tail drops increasing the angle of attack and the springiness of the gear shoots the plane back to a flying attitude again and the prudent pilot will go around. My reflexes aren’t quick enough to stop this near landing speed. With a lot of speed it can be done but then there are other problems being at speed on the ground in the mono.

The mono will delightfully obey a tail wheel first landing if the pilot anticipates the stab unloading due to downwash. It is not happy being stalled and dropped in, especially if slightly askew to the alignment. I’ve written how I land the mono. That method works for me. I have access to a long runway and use it to slow flight my way to feel my way to a nose high three point (two point) landing tail wheel first. Others, on short runways, come in slow I’m told (at about 55 Kts) and are able to round out tail wheel first and as the plane “settles” they hold the nose up and stick it. This requires deft skill and comfort in their aircraft.

In testing with the stall strips, this was an irritant to me as the wing would unzip and quit flying just as I needed a bit more lift to stick the tail wheel first. Lee Ohlmernick was patient with me and allowed me to work on my slow flight down the runway until I could see the point where the stab lost its power due to ground effect causing the nose to drop. Keeping the pitch attitude for landing (not allowing the nose to drop) then was just a slow flight technique in ground effect to be mastered. Once I had the motor skill to add the right amount of stick just as ground effect took away a bit of stab authority (keep the landing attitude) touchdowns suddenly became routine. I still go through a ritual on downwind of warming up my toes by quickly adding small amounts of rudder back and forth to prepare my stiff old ankles for the small amounts of movement necessary to maintain precise directional control.

I am not a gifted pilot. It took practice. It took flying often. It took patience.

Do not neglect the importance of takeoff control either. I have sat through a number of hair raising events in the Mono. All on takeoff. Tail wheel control is essential. Keep the stick back on power application and be disciplined on directional control. Do not allow any deviation from the centerline. Once above 35-40 Kts relax the death grip on the aft stick and concentrate on the takeoff attitude (landing attitude) and maintain the pitch attitude until safely slow flighted off the runway and accelerating. Never allow the nose to rise quickly as a stall may occur, maintain the pitch attitude. One can bring the tail up on the main above about 35 Kts, but remember, you are now in a not quite ready to fly airplane and you will need all your flight controls to maintain pitch and alignment until flight speed. I prefer to just slow flight the plane off the ground. Just as the main wheel begins to extend, hold that pitch attitude and it is delightful even with an 80HP engine and fixed prop. Once off the ground, simply lower the nose a bit to increase acceleration. Never put in full aileron on crosswind takeoffs as the plane will roll quite quickly at the stall. Practice your slow flight at altitude and see for yourself. Cross winds in the Europa Mono are a bit strange to most because it takes virtually no aileron to kick out the crab on landing. Hence on takeoff, full aileron into the wind gives the pilot no feel of the speed and once the nose comes off the ground, the down aileron wing can stall. Slow flight is the key for me. Practicing slow flight at altitude and then again down the runway is how I relearn my mono feel. If I can fly 1000 feet down the runway in the slow flight attitude and speed, I can land.

Keep it straight, and the stick back.
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Pete
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly

Bud,

Cheers and thx,

Pete

Quote:

On Jan 18, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

From history Paul.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Thanks and regards, Paul

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

As I approach the point were the first flight of my Europa will happen I really appreciate the information you posted in your last message.

Unfortunately for me my taildragger (a Kolb Firestar) is not a three point landing aircraft since in the ground it's attitude is well beyond the stall point (and the high drag to low weight ratio of the plane killing the speed in a second). Trying to three point my Kolb always results in very hard landings.

When I got my endorsement I was trained by a CFI that absolutely hated two point landings (he flew Pitts and discouraged landing that airplane two point). When I used to fly gliders it was very common and a joy to plant the tail first in the ground before the main touched. But this was so because there was such a good margin between the attitude that allowed the tailwheel to be lower than the main before the airplane stalled. I was hoping for that to be the case for the Europa but per your posting I guess that may not be the case although I have to say I have seen pictures of Europas landing with a significant tail low attitude on short final. I guess that is as you refer to some people coming in slow on approach but I can see why that would not be the ideal case on a first flight. Well, I'm getting ahead of myself since not quite ready to fly yet. Good posting though. I will for sure talk to you when the time comes.

I include a picture of my plane when I took it out for some engine running and taxi test this weekend. I'm so happy its getting there!

Chris

210119_ChrisM Europa.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  942.58 KB
 Viewed:  3354 Time(s)

210119_ChrisM Europa.jpg

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Aerodynamicist question - Bud Yerly Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
FWIW,

For sure it is very possible to land tailwheel first.  My landings are typically TW first, and If I'm not too high I won't bounce the main too much.  ... it just seems to work out that way when I'm holding it off.
Cheers,
Pete

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:39 AM n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "n7188u" <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)>

As I approach the point were the first flight of my Europa will happen I really appreciate the information you posted in your last message.

Unfortunately for me my taildragger (a Kolb Firestar) is not a three point landing aircraft since in the ground it's attitude is well beyond the stall point (and the high drag to low weight ratio of the plane killing the speed in a second). Trying to three point my Kolb always results in very hard landings.

When I got my endorsement I was trained by a CFI that absolutedly hated two point landings (he flew Pitts and discouraged landing that airplane two point).  When I used to fly gliders it was very common and a joy to plant the tail first in the ground before the main touched. But this was so because there was such a good margin between the attitude that allowed the tailwheel to be lower than the main before the airplane stalled. I was hoping for that to be the case for the Europa but per your posting I guess that may not be the case although I have to say I have seen pictures of Europas landing with a significant tail low attitude on short final. I guess that is as you refer to some people coming in slow on approach but I can see why that would not be the ideal case on a first flight. Well, I'm getting ahead of myself since not quite ready to fly yet. Good posting though. I will for sure talk to you when the time comes.

I include a picture of my plane when I took it out for some engine running and taxi test this weekend. I'm so happy its getting there!

Chris

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=500354#500354

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/210119_chrism_europa_186.jpg

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: