Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV10 Electrical Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbs80

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: RV10 Electrical Issue Reply with quote

It’s been suggested to change the current diode to a Schottky diode to use less power and less heat?? Schottky diode part number: DSS2X61-0045A available from Mouser or Digikey. I think the current one is a 70amp diode with a very large heat sink.

Also it has been suggested to remove the diode jumper to prevent a possible current path to the starter from the aux batteries wired in parallel; but why is the jumper there in the first place? There is some sort of reason it was designed into the system and I assume it’s a protection feature. So what am I losing?

BTW it implies in the electrical schematic that there are two diodes; to me at least. But I have only found one.

I’m going to try to review the Z systems diagram and first try to identify which design the builder used under the assumption he was thorough and knowledgeable. My phone conversation with a BandC technician thought it was an 110X? plan vice an xxxZ plan. Im not sure of the 110 number but I am sure he said it ended in an X.

I’m sure to have more questions.

William Booth

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: RV10 Electrical Issue Reply with quote

At 03:41 PM 1/13/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: WILLIAM BOOTH <rbs80(at)aol.com>

It’s been suggested to change the current diode to a Schottky diode to use less power and less heat?? Schottky diode part number: DSS2X61-0045A available from Mouser or Digikey. I think the current one is a 70amp diode with a very large heat sink.

Unless you KNOW how much heat and how much
power . . . and discover a return on investment
for the effort . . . don't make any changes.

Elegant engineering stands on properties of
materials, management of energy and refinement
of process. The silicon diode bridge has been
uses successfully in Z-figures for decades.

Quote:
Also it has been suggested to remove the diode jumper to
prevent a possible current path to the starter from the
aux batteries wired in parallel; but why is the jumper
there in the first place? There is some sort of reason
it was designed into the system and I assume it’s a
protection feature. So what am I losing?

The jumper depicted on the drawing you posted
shorts around the diode bridge thus eliminating
its functionality.

Quote:
BTW it implies in the electrical schematic that there are
two diodes; to me at least. But I have only found one.

There are 4 diodes in the bridge rectifier of
which we generally use only one. That component
was selected for its MECHANICAL installation
conveniences; leaving 3 of the diodes unused
is of no significance to functionality of
the design.

Quote:
I’m going to try to review the Z systems diagram and first try to identify which design the builder used under the assumption he was thorough and knowledgeable. My phone conversation with a BandC technician thought it was an 110X? plan vice an xxxZ plan. Im not sure of the 110 number but I am sure he said it ended in an X.

I’m sure to have more questions.

Relax for a bit. Give me some time to
publish a recommended Z101 tailored to
your project.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: