Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnetos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efraim.otero(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

Dear All:I wanted to see if I could get inputs to understand an issue I am having with my Bendix magnetos.
My biplane, an O 200 powered Fisher Celebrity has what I call a partial Electric system. One 12 V 18 Ah battery that connects directly to a skytec starter. This starter has a switch that in turn leads to a starter pushbutton. 
It also has a key switch for the magnetos: Off, Left, right, both.
I tried to start the engine and it motors while pushing the starter pushbutton, with the starter switch on and magnetos on both. However the engine does not catch. 
Also, if I turn the mags off, the engine also motors but obviously does not ignite.
What might be going on? 
-Battery issues? not enough charge/power?
-Mag issues? not getting any spark (Should the engine be turning at some specific revs on cranking for it to generate a spark?
-Ignition harness?
-Spark plugs?
Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot?
I am getting fuel to the engine as I can smell it. It has no fuel pump, justgravit feed. Starter motors slowly, although it does not "seem un normal" (purely perception of mine!)
Please advise,
Efraim 

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

Possible magneto impulse coupling failure?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

My advice would be to have a mechanic troubleshoot.

In the meantime, is this a new installation that has never run or is this a new problem? 
On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 9:37 AM Efraim Otero <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com (efraim.otero(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Dear All:I wanted to see if I could get inputs to understand an issue I am having with my Bendix magnetos.
My biplane, an O 200 powered Fisher Celebrity has what I call a partial Electric system. One 12 V 18 Ah battery that connects directly to a skytec starter. This starter has a switch that in turn leads to a starter pushbutton. 
I tried to start the engine and it motors while pushing the starter pushbutton, with the starter switch on and magnetos on both. However the engine does not catch. 
Also, if I turn the mags off, the engine also motors but obviously does not ignite.
What might be going on? 
-Mag issues? not getting any spark (Should the engine be turning at some specific revs on cranking for it to generate a spark?
-Ignition harness?
-Spark plugs?
I am getting fuel to the engine as I can smell it. It has no fuel pump, justgravit feed. Starter motors slowly, although it does not "seem un normal" (purely perception of mine!)
Please advise,
Efraim 

Ceengland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:37 AM Efraim Otero <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com (efraim.otero(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
What might be going on? 
-Ignition harness?
-Spark plugs?
Please advise,
Efraim 

If the impulse coupler is working, and you have a combustible mixture in the cylinder, the engine should fire as the piston passes top dead center, even if the prop is barely moving. You can troubleshoot the impulse-coupled mag by: 
1. remove ALL the spark plug wires, and at least one plug from each cylinder (safety)
2. screw the plugs onto the plug wires for the impulse mag, and make sure the shell of the plugs is touching the engine.
3. switch on the impulse mag. if you're not absolutely sure which side is the impulse mag, turn the mag switch to 'both' to ensure that the impulse coupled mag is hot.
4. rotate the prop, and watch the plugs each time the impulse coupler fires (makes a sharp 'clack' sound). 
One plug should spark each time the impulse coupler fires. Continue to rotate the prop, watching the plugs, until you've heard at least 8 'clacks' (enough to fire each plug twice).
If you get no spark on any of the plugs attached to the impulse mag, either the mag is grounded, or something inside the mag is defective. It's remotely possible that all 4 plug wires are bad, or all 4 plugs are bad, but that's not where I'd start.
All the above assumes that this is a 'new' problem; that the engine has recently been running OK. If you're running mogas (at least here in the USA), know that if fuel has been sitting in the fuel bowl of the carb for more than a couple of weeks, the engine will be very hard to start until all the stale fuel is pumped out of the bowl, and fresh gas fills the bowl. (Ask me how I know this....)
Charlie

Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

All good advice. The left mag is normally the impulse mag. So for the
test only activate the left mag. If nothing try again with only right
mag on. Note, engine will crank faster with a plug out of each cylinder.
Voltage only matters to starter, not to mags, as they don't get any
battery power. If you hear noticeable slowing in the cranking, time to
recharge the battery.

On 11/3/2020 12:21 PM, Charlie England wrote:
Quote:

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:37 AM Efraim Otero <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com
<mailto:efraim.otero(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

Dear All:
I wanted to see if I could get inputs to understand an issue I am
having with my Bendix magnetos.
My biplane, an O 200 powered Fisher Celebrity has what I call a
partial Electric system. One 12 V 18 Ah battery that connects
directly to a skytec starter. This starter has a switch that in turn
leads to a starter pushbutton.
I tried to start the engine and it motors while pushing the starter
pushbutton, with the starter switch on and magnetos on both. However
the engine does not catch.
Also, if I turn the mags off, the engine also motors but obviously
does not ignite.
What might be going on?
-Mag issues? not getting any spark (Should the engine be turning at
some specific revs on cranking for it to generate a spark?
-Ignition harness?
-Spark plugs?
I am getting fuel to the engine as I can smell it. It has no fuel
pump, justgravit feed. Starter motors slowly, although it does not
"seem un normal" (purely perception of mine!)

Please advise,
Efraim

If the impulse coupler is working, and you have a combustible mixture in
the cylinder, the engine should fire as the piston passes top dead
center, even if the prop is barely moving. You can troubleshoot the
impulse-coupled mag by:

1. remove ALL the spark plug wires, and at least one plug from each
cylinder (safety)
2. screw the plugs onto the plug wires for the impulse mag, and make
sure the shell of the plugs is touching the engine.
3. switch on the impulse mag. if you're not absolutely sure which side
is the impulse mag, turn the mag switch to 'both' to ensure that the
impulse coupled mag is hot.
4. rotate the prop, and watch the plugs each time the impulse coupler
fires (makes a sharp 'clack' sound).

One plug should spark each time the impulse coupler fires. Continue to
rotate the prop, watching the plugs, until you've heard at least 8
'clacks' (enough to fire each plug twice).

If you get no spark on any of the plugs attached to the impulse mag,
either the mag is grounded, or something inside the mag is defective.
It's remotely possible that all 4 plug wires are bad, or all 4 plugs are
bad, but that's not where I'd start.

All the above assumes that this is a 'new' problem; that the engine has
recently been running OK. If you're running mogas (at least here in the
USA), know that if fuel has been sitting in the fuel bowl of the carb
for more than a couple of weeks, the engine will be very hard to start
until all the stale fuel is pumped out of the bowl, and fresh gas fills
the bowl. (Ask me how I know this....)

Charlie

stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

For safety’s sake, I think it’s worth clarifying some potential aspects of your setup Efraim.

Normally a rotary Off, Left, Right, Both switch also has a Start position, which momentarily grounds the Right magneto as long as the switch is in the ’Start’ position. I you have a separate start button (which is not likely to ground the Right magneto), then be very certain whether or not your Right magneto also has an impulse coupling to retard the spark(s). If it does, then by all means start on Both. If not, you only ever want to be starting the engine on Left magneto. This ensures the Right magneto is grounded and cannot fire the plugs well before Top Dead Centre (TDC), which can cause engine kick-back and damage the gearbox and accessories or worse, you if you happen to be hand-swinging the engine. Some Bendix magnetos have a tab inside the capacitor cover that grounds the magneto when the P-lead is removed, but if you disconnect the magnetos P-leads for any reason there is real potential for the magnetos to be LIVE and dangerous. Don’t forget that magnetos generate their own spark independent of whether the electrical system is on or off, so the only way to stop them working is by grounding the magneto circuit via the 'P-lead’ and switch, which must be maintained in good condition for obvious reasons.

V/r Stuart
Quote:
On 4 Nov 2020, at 7:48 am, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

All good advice. The left mag is normally the impulse mag. So for the test only activate the left mag. If nothing try again with only right mag on. Note, engine will crank faster with a plug out of each cylinder.
Voltage only matters to starter, not to mags, as they don't get any battery power. If you hear noticeable slowing in the cranking, time to recharge the battery.

On 11/3/2020 12:21 PM, Charlie England wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:37 AM Efraim Otero <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com <mailto:efraim.otero(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
> Dear All:
> I wanted to see if I could get inputs to understand an issue I am
> having with my Bendix magnetos.
> My biplane, an O 200 powered Fisher Celebrity has what I call a
> partial Electric system. One 12 V 18 Ah battery that connects
> directly to a skytec starter. This starter has a switch that in turn
> leads to a starter pushbutton.
> It also has a key switch for the magnetos: Off, Left, right, both.
> I tried to start the engine and it motors while pushing the starter
> pushbutton, with the starter switch on and magnetos on both. However
> the engine does not catch.
> Also, if I turn the mags off, the engine also motors but obviously
> does not ignite.
> What might be going on?
> -Battery issues? not enough charge/power?
> -Mag issues? not getting any spark (Should the engine be turning at
> some specific revs on cranking for it to generate a spark?
> -Ignition harness?
> -Spark plugs?
> Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot?
> I am getting fuel to the engine as I can smell it. It has no fuel
> pump, justgravit feed. Starter motors slowly, although it does not
> "seem un normal" (purely perception of mine!)
> Please advise,
> Efraim If the impulse coupler is working, and you have a combustible mixture in the cylinder, the engine should fire as the piston passes top dead center, even if the prop is barely moving. You can troubleshoot the impulse-coupled mag by:
> 1. remove ALL the spark plug wires, and at least one plug from each cylinder (safety)
> 2. screw the plugs onto the plug wires for the impulse mag, and make sure the shell of the plugs is touching the engine.
> 3. switch on the impulse mag. if you're not absolutely sure which side is the impulse mag, turn the mag switch to 'both' to ensure that the impulse coupled mag is hot.
> 4. rotate the prop, and watch the plugs each time the impulse coupler fires (makes a sharp 'clack' sound).
> One plug should spark each time the impulse coupler fires. Continue to rotate the prop, watching the plugs, until you've heard at least 8 'clacks' (enough to fire each plug twice).
> If you get no spark on any of the plugs attached to the impulse mag, either the mag is grounded, or something inside the mag is defective. It's remotely possible that all 4 plug wires are bad, or all 4 plugs are bad, but that's not where I'd start.
> All the above assumes that this is a 'new' problem; that the engine has recently been running OK. If you're running mogas (at least here in the USA), know that if fuel has been sitting in the fuel bowl of the carb for more than a couple of weeks, the engine will be very hard to start until all the stale fuel is pumped out of the bowl, and fresh gas fills the bowl. (Ask me how I know this....)
> Charlie

EfraimOtero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

cluros(at)gmail.com wrote:
My advice would be to have a mechanic troubleshoot.

In the meantime, is this a new installation that has never run or is this a new problem? 

It is an old setup. With a new/charged battery it fired easily. I have to point out that I live in the Andes mountains at 8,535 feet field elevation!

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 9:37 AM Efraim Otero <efraim> wrote:

Quote:
What might be going on? 
-Ignition harness?
-Spark plugs?
Please advise,
Efraim 

EfraimOtero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Many thanks for the input. I will give these tests a shot. For now, I have ordered a new battery to have enough cranking power. I hope this is the case.
I apologize for answering so late but I forgot my old username and had to unsubscribe and re subscribe.
You can now reach me at username EfraimOtero.

When I get my new earthX battery I will crank and let you know my findings.
Ordered from Aircraft Spruce and should get it soon down here!
Cheers

E

EfraimOtero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

It’s me again! I got my earthX battery and it really cranks! I also bought and installed new REM 40 spark plugs but again, no engine start! I will try the test suggested by Charlie England and see nor that goes!removing spark plugs and cranking with them toiuching the engine. I suspect the wire harness because I do hear the sharp clacking sound...
We’ll see...

racerjerry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

Efraim, I hear your frustration.

Once upon a time, when an elusive ignition problem was plaguing me, I got pissed and made a spark test fixture out of a section of aluminum angle material with (6) 18mm tapped holes to which (4) old spare spark plugs were installed. Magneto leads were temporarily removed from upper spark plugs and installed on the test fixture spark plugs.

The aluminum angle & plugs were grounded to the engine and situated where I could easily observe sparks with the business end of the plugs pointing directly at me. Remember that you are only going to see a spark if it comes from a magneto that has an impulse coupling.

As was said, you only need three things for combustion: FUEL / COMPRESSION / IGNITION. On old cars, it was easy to check for a fuel problem with a squirt of starting ether down the carburetor. I don't recommend that unless extreme frustration sets in. Just prime the heck out of the carburetor and if you can smell fuel, you can assume fuel supply is good.

ALSO, since this is an experimental airplane, you may be using a non-standard ignition switch(s). "ON" in a normal switch usually means continuity across the switch, which would ground out the magnetos, disabling them. I suggest, for test purposes, temporarily remove the magneto grounding leads. BE CAREFUL - ASSUME THE ENGINE WILL FIRE UP AT FULL POWER. Make sure the tail is SECURELY tied down and that you can easily shut down the engine by turning off fuel supply. CHOCKS are USELESS here.

Hope this helps.

Jerry King

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

At 10:32 PM 12/26/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "EfraimOtero" <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com>

It’s me again! I got my earthX battery and it really cranks! I also bought and installed new REM 40 spark plugs but again, no engine start! I will try the test suggested by Charlie England and see nor that goes!removing spark plugs and cranking with them toiuching the engine. I suspect the wire harness because I do hear the sharp clacking sound...
We’ll see...

It's unlikely that a whole harness bad . . . and
one or two bad wires would still give you some
activity on the remaining cylinders.

There are other maladies that can befall a magento
rendering it completely silent: There are points
that require proper continuity and gap. There
is a coil. There is a capacitor.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

racerjerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

Efraim,
In order to simplify things, lets try to isolate the magnetos to see if they are EVER actually producing a spark. First, pull all the top spark plugs to insure there is NO COMPRESSION and no possibility of injury with the engine suddenly coming to life. With all spark plugs removed, reconnect all ignition leads and lay the plugs on top of each cylinder and insure that each plug is electrically grounded to the engine. Try to aim the sparking end of the plugs outward and to each side, so that a relatively weak spark can be easily observed.

View one side or one bank of cylinders at a time. That way you don't have to completely remove and reroute the magneto ignition leads for the test.

At this point, since there is no compression in any cylinder, you can easily and with complete safety turn the propeller by hand OR by the starter if you wish.

If you rotate the propeller TWO turns in the normal direction of rotation, a spark should be observed at each sparkplug sometime during the two-turn rotation at the instant you hear the loud click of the impulse coupling snapping free. In other words, a spark should occur once every other propeller rotation at the click.

Jerry King

EfraimOtero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

Bob, Jerry, Firstly may you have a happy and safe new year!

many thanks for your input! I will try Jerry's suggestion to test for sparks. I have to say I am not quite electrically savvy. I changed the spark plugs to brand new REM 40E and I will try the spark test.
I have also been looking for the proper P/N to replace the harness if necessary. Anyone know what this would be?
Again, thanks!

Ef

neal.george(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

Ef - Assuming your O-200 is fitted with Continental mags, the harness is P/N: 10-821471-17.
Neal
=================On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:34 PM, EfraimOtero <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com (efraim.otero(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "EfraimOtero" <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com (efraim.otero(at)gmail.com)>Bob, Jerry, Firstly may you have a happy and safe new year!many thanks for your input! I will try Jerry's suggestion to test for sparks. I have to say I am not quite electrically savvy. I changed the spark plugs to brand new REM 40E and I will try the spark test.I have also been looking for the proper P/N to replace the harness if necessary. Anyone know what this would be?Again, thanks!Ef--------EfraimOteroFisher Celebrity EX N500BCO200 COntinental

EfraimOtero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetos Reply with quote

Neal, thanks for the prompt response.
Mine are Bendix S4 LN -21 mags, P/N 10-51360-30. Are these the same as Continental? Gues not...? Shocked Embarassed

IMG_1555.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.91 KB
 Viewed:  6554 Time(s)

IMG_1555.jpg

neal.george(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Magnetos Reply with quote

Yes, they are the same. Continental bought the Bendix ignition line about 35 years ago…

Neal

==================

On Jan 12, 2021, at 4:25 PM, EfraimOtero <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Neal, thanks for the prompt response.
Mine are Bendix S4 LN -21 mags, P/N 10-51360-30. Are these the same as Continental? Gues not...? [Shocked] [Embarassed]

--------
EfraimOtero
Fisher Celebrity EX N500BC
O200 COntinental

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: