Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small wires running with big wires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFleming

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Small wires running with big wires Reply with quote

I searched though the list but didn't find anything related to this. If it's here, my apologies.

My master and stater solenoids got installed along with an ANL fuse and shunt on the firewall today.

My RV-7 plans show the main buss wire (6 AWG), master switch and starter switch wires going through the same firewall penetration.
In addition I have a clearance delivery buss wire (14 AWG) and the 2 shunt sensor wires I would like to have go through the same penetration. additionally all these wires would be bundled together for about 2.5' before the big wires split off from the little wires.

I'm not worried about having the master and starter switch wires following this route but I'm unsure if the shunt wires would be adversely affected by the proximity to the big power wires.

Of course I could reroute the shunt wires but the most efficient route is as mentioned above.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

user9253

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Small wires running with big wires Reply with quote

All of the wires that you mentioned can be run together without worry of interference.
The wires that are most vulnerable are audio wires, especially those whose signals get amplified.
Do not let the metallic parts of audio jacks touch metal airframe parts.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Small wires running with big wires Reply with quote

At 06:34 AM 11/23/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

All of the wires that you mentioned can be run together without worry of interference.
The wires that are most vulnerable are audio wires, especially those whose signals get amplified.

and even then . . . the system designers will call out
shielded wire where appropriate along with how those
shields are to be terminated.

There is no good reason to separate bundles of
wires for the various systems as a hedge against
noise.

Back before they learned better, ADF installations
in a single engine Cessna came with a kit for adding
shields to alternator wiring . . . later the shields
became 'standard'. I could never find anyone in the
SE Electrical Group that could point to any empirical
testing or analysis of the physics that justified
this non-trivial expense. This wiring diagram
is an excerpt from a C172 service manual.

Short answer is: route wires as appropriate to
construction goals.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

Circa_1975_Cessna_SE_Alternator_Wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.48 KB
 Viewed:  1600 Time(s)

Circa_1975_Cessna_SE_Alternator_Wiring.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: