Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z14 with SDS EM5 ENG BUS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Z14 with SDS EM5 ENG BUS Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not Jeff, but I plan on having the engine bus switch on whenever the engine is running, with the alternate power path coming through a diode from the main bus. My *logic* is that the dual active power paths minimize any potential 'operational issues' (failures in power delivery to the engine bus, for reasons ranging from device failure to inadvertent switch movement) that could come up at times when options/reaction time are limited, like shortly after takeoff or being forced to remain at low altitude due to 'airliner pattern' approaches flown by leading traffic. The core driver is to not based on calculated odds, but on being prepared as well as possible for what *can* happen.

Another motivator is that 'switchology' (actually, procedures), while unavoidably different from traditional a/c engine installations, will be as close as possible to decades of training, where in certain emergencies we're trained to shut down everything except the engine. Again, not probability driven, but for what *can* happen.

Obviously, proper functionality will be checked before takeoff.

Charlie

Point well taken sir . . .

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Z14 with SDS EM5 ENG BUS Reply with quote

Jeff and Charlie,

Why don't you guys work up a preflight checklist for a
full-up Z101 and publish it here. After due opportunity
for critical review, I'll add it to the Z101 notes

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ceengland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Z14 with SDS EM5 ENG BUS Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me. I wish I had one to offer, but I'm far enough from flying that I have not yet created an actual checklist. I did give operations a lot of thought while laying out the architecture, though, and I suspect that I'll end up with something very similar to Jeff's.

Jeff, the one thing I noticed was:
"Aux ALT ON Check Bus amps"

Mine will almost certainly say 'check bus volts', because the low volts warning will instantly show up, and seems an easy  method of detecting alternator operation, to me. Perhaps my decision to use a 'traditional' SLA battery influences this, since an inactive alternator will show up as a quite obvious voltage drop. I don't know if the lithium tech batteries will have as obvious a voltage drop without the alternator(s) on line.

FWIW,

Charlie

On 11/11/2020 4:40 PM, Foghorn Inc wrote:

Quote:
Here is what I have for my RV8 project. 

Fire away!

Jeff Parker

Quote:
On 11Nov, 2020, at 10:24, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Jeff and Charlie, Why don't you guys work up a preflight checklist for a full-up Z101 and publish it here. After due opportunity for critical review, I'll add it to the Z101 notes  
  Bob . . .   Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes   survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane   out of that stuff?"

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: