Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sky-Tec starters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Sky-Tec starters Reply with quote

time to overhaul the starter; anybody got a good and economical shop recommendation for the overhaul?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
partner14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Sky-Tec starters Reply with quote

A few friends here in Granbury TX (pecan Plantation) used to own both Sky Tech (starters) and Plane Power (alternators), but were bought out by Hartzell.... and they don't repair anything.

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 03:37:44 PM CDT, dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com> wrote:

time to overhaul the starter; anybody got a good and economical shop recommendation for the overhaul?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kellym

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Sky-Tec starters Reply with quote

Dave,
Sorry, Skytec AFAIK has not released overhaul data, so only they can
overhaul. I last had one done about 10 years ago. Service was like 1 day
turnaround. At the time price was about $160. No clue what it is today.
IIRC, it was about 50% of price of new one for certified aircraft.
Kelly

On 10/15/2020 1:20 PM, dlm wrote:
Quote:
time to overhaul the starter; anybody got a good and economical shop
recommendation for the overhaul?

dmasys2(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Sky-Tec starters Reply with quote

My OEM "flyweight" Skytec starter froze its front bearing and died in 2018, and I found as others have noted that no overhaul was available.  The Skytec replacement design (called the 'high torque inline Lycoming starter') is fundamentally a better engineering solution and worth the price of admission.  Make sure you know the number of teeth on your ring gear before ordering, since there are several different variants of the basic design.  

I think that part of the no overhaul policy is just to get the older, seizure-prone design out of the installed base.  The new design spins the IO-540 noticeably faster, and on my -10 that starter plus the SureFly electronic ignition makes for pretty much instant starts hot or cold.  Even my Toyota is jealous.
-Dan Masys
N104LD 1200hrs TTSN

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 1:29 PM dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Coop85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Sky-Tec starters Reply with quote

I had a similar experience. After a kickback my initial starter sheared the protective shaft killing the start. I sent it in to upgrade to the high torque starter with kickback reset so that won’t happen again. It’s been excellent for a few years now, well worth it.
Marcus
40286 1060 hoursOn Oct 16, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Dan Masys <dmasys2(at)gmail.com (dmasys2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
My OEM "flyweight" Skytec starter froze its front bearing and died in 2018, and I found as others have noted that no overhaul was available. The Skytec replacement design (called the 'high torque inline Lycoming starter') is fundamentally a better engineering solution and worth the price of admission. Make sure you know the number of teeth on your ring gear before ordering, since there are several different variants of the basic design.
I think that part of the no overhaul policy is just to get the older, seizure-prone design out of the installed base. The new design spins the IO-540 noticeably faster, and on my -10 that starter plus the SureFly electronic ignition makes for pretty much instant starts hot or cold. Even my Toyota is jealous.

-Dan Masys
N104LD 1200hrs TTSN

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 1:29 PM dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Sky-Tec starters Reply with quote

It I had to buy a new one I would get he B&C starter. They take better care of their customers.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On Oct 16, 2020, at 2:01 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

Dave,
Sorry, Skytec AFAIK has not released overhaul data, so only they can overhaul. I last had one done about 10 years ago. Service was like 1 day turnaround. At the time price was about $160. No clue what it is today. IIRC, it was about 50% of price of new one for certified aircraft.
Kelly

>> On 10/15/2020 1:20 PM, dlm wrote:
> time to overhaul the starter; anybody got a good and economical shop recommendation for the overhaul?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: