Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

evolution of lithium technologies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: evolution of lithium technologies Reply with quote

I've been studying current options for lithium
cells on the market. Discovered some interesting
things. For example . . . this excerpt from the
engineering data sheet on an 18650 cell cited
as suitable for battery powered tools:

----------------------------
9.0. Safety

9.1 Overcharge test
Test method: To charge with 20A-20V at 25Ž for 3hr.

Criteria: No fire, and no explosion.

9.2 External short-circuit test

Test method: To short-circuit the standard charged cell (or 50% discharged cell)
by connecting positive and negative terminal by 80mOhm wire for 10min.

9.3 Reverse charge test

Test method: To charge the standard charged cell with charge current 10A
By 20V for 2.5 hours.

9.4 Heating test

Test method: To heat up the standard charged cell at heating rate 5Ž per minute up to
130Ž and keep the cell in oven for 10 minutes.

-------------------------------
What insults might these cells endure if
incorporated into a flight system? Any worse
than those cited above? Just thinking . . .

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: evolution of lithium technologies Reply with quote

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:

[snippped]

Ā  Bob . . .
That got me thinking (and searching).
A wade into the shallow end of the data pool yields only damp feet when it comes to actual *power* capacity. The highest 'continuous current' rating I could find on 18650 cells is around 30A. That would imply, at 1st glance, at least 10 parallel cells per link in the serial chain. Many were limited to around 2A continuous. I couldn't find any specsĀ on peak current, either on the bigger vendor sites, or on actual mfgr data sheet pdfs. Descriptions of, and differences among, the various chemistries and naming conventions, are all over the map, depending on which interweb 'authority' you choose to accept. Obviously more going on than I can see in the normal data sheets, since there are dozens of functional examples of starting batteries on the market.
I'd certainly be game for rolling my own battery, but picking the right cell seems a task not suited to mere mortals.
Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: evolution of lithium technologies Reply with quote

On 9/21/2020 11:03 AM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:

[snippped]

Ā  Bob . . .
That got me thinking (and searching).
A wade into the shallow end of the data pool yields only damp feet when it comes to actual *power* capacity. The highest 'continuous current' rating I could find on 18650 cells is around 30A. That would imply, at 1st glance, at least 10 parallel cells per link in the serial chain. Many were limited to around 2A continuous. I couldn't find any specsĀ on peak current, either on the bigger vendor sites, or on actual mfgr data sheet pdfs. Descriptions of, and differences among, the various chemistries and naming conventions, are all over the map, depending on which interweb 'authority' you choose to accept. Obviously more going on than I can see in the normal data sheets, since there are dozens of functional examples of starting batteries on the market.

I'd certainly be game for rolling my own battery, but picking the right cell seems a task not suited to mere mortals.

Charlie

As a followup,
Do LiFePO4 batteries used for starting have altered chemistry or cell size, as compared to the 'deep cycle' versions? What about charging profiles? If not,
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Battery-Miady-Rechargeable-Maintenance-Free/dp/B07X7MD2JK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=12V+LiFePO4&qid=1601260110&sr=8-3
Looks interesting as the starting point for the DIY battery idea Bob mentioned earlier. The terminals are obviously inadequate as made, but it would be interesting to see what it looks like inside. If larger terminals could be installed...
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: evolution of lithium technologies Reply with quote

Quote:
As a followup,
Do LiFePO4 batteries used for starting have altered chemistry or cell size, as compared to the 'deep cycle' versions? What about charging profiles?

Probably. The no-iron lithium products
demonstrate performance all over the map.
I suspect there are similar variations on the
LiFe theme

Quote:
If not,
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Battery-Miady-Rechargeable-Maintenance-Free/dp/B07X7MD2JK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=12V+LiFePO4&qid=1601260110&sr=8-3
Looks interesting as the starting point for the DIY battery idea Bob mentioned earlier. The terminals are obviously inadequate as made, but it would be interesting to see what it looks like inside. If larger terminals could be installed...

Interesting product. Q&A's seem forthright.

He says it's got a BMS that current limits
so upsizing terminals is not likely to let
it crank engines.

It sold with free returns . . . i've ordered one
to shake out.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: