Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS-B Successful Flight Test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronko(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: ADS-B Successful Flight Test Reply with quote

Pulsar Friends,

Finally got my instructor and I to sync up for my BFR. During the BFR we did all of the requirements per the flight requirements for the FAA ADS-B Performance Report.
Upon landing and back to the hanger, I went on line and went to the site and filled in the on-line form and submitted my PAPR (Performance ADS-B Performance Report) Within about 5 minutes I got the email response. Nothing in the PAPR was highlighted red. But, being new to this, I expected to see allot more information about my flight like especially since the test requirements includes 2 360 degree turns to the right and the same to the left. Afterwards, it made sense to me that what they wanted was a bit of complexity to generate transmission data errors.
I did have a few errors in the report, but after referencing the PAPR User's Guide https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprusersguide.pdf they were predominantly in "fringe of ADS-B coverage". In general, out of 37 data fields they look at, only 9 had an error ranging from 9 to 2 (out of 27,440 reports). Worse indicating 0.1% fail, which is still passing (I don't know what the minimal to get a red highlighted failure).
A couple of things I learned:
They measure failures in MCF (maximum number of consecutive received ADS-B messages)
Apparently at my Class D airport where I departed and returned after a touch and go at a Class E airport, no Surface detection was performed (report only contained Airborn UAT
  Report is essentially data analysis (transmission information integrity) and the only flight specific details the report supplies is start and end time and the Baro Alt (ft) during the flight.
My uAvionix Echo UAT, SkyFx WAAS GPS, and 978 Antenna installation work.
Ronko
N1038L

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
lwheat2083

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Successful Flight Test Reply with quote

Ron, could you give me specifics on the install. I am currently installing the same equipment as you in a Jab J250. Yes ground planes are a bitch. Anyway any info or pics would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, at 11:59 AM, Ronald Koval <ronko(at)att.net (ronko(at)att.net)> wrote:
Pulsar Friends,
Finally got my instructor and I to sync up for my BFR. During the BFR we did all of the requirements per the flight requirements for the FAA ADS-B Performance Report.

Upon landing and back to the hanger, I went on line and went to the site and filled in the on-line form and submitted my PAPR (Performance ADS-B Performance Report) Within about 5 minutes I got the email response. Nothing in the PAPR was highlighted red. But, being new to this, I expected to see allot more information about my flight like especially since the test requirements includes 2 360 degree turns to the right and the same to the left. Afterwards, it made sense to me that what they wanted was a bit of complexity to generate transmission data errors.

I did have a few errors in the report, but after referencing the PAPR User's Guide https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprusersguide.pdf they were predominantly in "fringe of ADS-B coverage". In general, out of 37 data fields they look at, only 9 had an error ranging from 9 to 2 (out of 27,440 reports). Worse indicating 0.1% fail, which is still passing (I don't know what the minimal to get a red highlighted failure).

They measure failures in MCF (maximum number of consecutive received ADS-B messages)
Apparently at my Class D airport where I departed and returned after a touch and go at a Class E airport, no Surface detection was performed (report only contained Airborn UAT
Report is essentially data analysis (transmission information integrity) and the only flight specific details the report supplies is start and end time and the Baro Alt (ft) during the flight.

Ronko
N1038L

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gregsmi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Successful Flight Test Reply with quote

Great news Ron. One question, during your flight were you in contact with center? Also, does the unit use data from the transponder?

Greg

--

lwheat2083

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Successful Flight Test Reply with quote

Appreciate the info. I am crawling along. It is NOT an easy install in the Jab. Taking all the RG58 coax and installing RG400 on everything. Better insertion losses should improve the reception and transmission. Cheers and thanks again.
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Ronald Koval <ronko(at)att.net (ronko(at)att.net)> wrote:

Larry,

I uploaded 5 pictures of various parts of my uAvionix installation. Attached (below) is a close up view of the added 978MHz ground plan with the BNC connector (bottom side of the antenna, cable disconnected) shown. Next time I am out at the airport, I will measure its dimensions. It is recommended to have 120mm, or 4.7" radial. The whip is 3-1/8" so essentially trying to stay over that as your radial is fine, but where you can longer is better and it does not have to be symmetrical (just better signal output in the directions where the radial exceeds 3-1/8").

Note also, the location I chose, the whip is clear, underneath line of sight metal parts (i.e. it is below the metal push rod, cables and rudder crank arms) that would interfere with signal in those directions (nice that composite/fiberglass is near RF transparent. Also putting it in the tail of the Pulsar is about as far away from my existing 1080MHz transponder antenna, without leaving the aircraft and lastly, I did all of this antenna installation via the inspection panel and didn't have to make any cuts into fuselage (just a tiny hole to hold a tie wrap for the coax cable in the tail section wall heading to the front of the aircraft; already one big hole for the push rod). I could have done a similar thing in one of the wings, but couldn't figure out how to get cabling routed and I would need another set of connectors to deal with when removing a wing.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Fortunately everything about this systems ADS-B out is power up automatic and running. ADS-B In, is a different story. Currently, what I need to do is get my tablet upon applying external power (my preference verses depending on tablet's battery and the on/off switch), the tablet would automatically power up, stay powered up, keep the screen on, connect to the uAvionx wifi, and run the 2 apps for ADS-B in. Even though I can do most of this on the ground, it is a procedure and parts of what runs, go to sleep and need my attention (an added distraction). I just want to look at it, and it be there, similar to my portable GPS (that has only one button that needs to be pressed for acknowledgement during power up (most likely a legal thing Garmin does to satisfy compliance and/or lawyers). Grant it, I do extremely like knowing about other aircraft out there they I haven't spotted (and the weather stuff, many TFRs show up around events in my area to avoid) that is a considerable benefit, but I do not want to fly with a heavier eye/hand work load.

Ronko

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 3:18:47 PM CDT, Larry Wheat <lwheat2083(at)gmail.com (lwheat2083(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Ron, could you give me specifics on the install. I am currently installing the same equipment as you in a Jab J250. Yes ground planes are a bitch. Anyway any info or pics would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, at 11:59 AM, Ronald Koval <ronko(at)att.net (ronko(at)att.net)> wrote:
Pulsar Friends,

I did have a few errors in the report, but after referencing the PAPR User's Guide https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprusersguide.pdf  they were predominantly in "fringe of ADS-B coverage". In general, out of 37 data fields they look at, only 9 had an error ranging from 9 to 2 (out of 27,440 reports). Worse indicating 0.1% fail, which is still passing (I don't know what the minimal to get a red highlighted failure).

Ronko
N1038L

<20190112_161631.jpg>

pilot623(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: ADS-B Successful Flight Test Reply with quote

Is anyone else getting tired of this guy's continuous spamming for his
product? How many times can he "just stumble upon your blog"? Maybe the
Matronics administrator can ban him.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: