Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LG frame cracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: LG frame cracks Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I am in process of removing my gear frame to repair/replace the bent bottom gear pivot tube (present since my purchase, and likely made worse with my side-loading since), and short of replacing the frame, would like to strip and inspect the entire frame.

How did you get the frame to un-bond from the epoxy tunnel “bedding”?

What method did you use to strip the paint/powdercoating?

Can you tell me if the Tubes are all 4130?

Thanks for your detailed pdf report of the cracks, added to my inspection/reenforcing list.

Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, at 2:52 PM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

We discovered a potential safety issue and wanted to share this so others become aware of the situation and can inspect their aircraft.

We are in the process of our annual condition inspection on our mono wheel. This year is extensive since motor mounts and bungee cord need replaced. After being alerted by John Wigney of possible cracks in the lower tubes of the LG frame, we inspected and discovered our frame is cracked like his. The cracks are very difficult to find as they are somewhat hidden by the firewall and behind the vertical tubes of the frame. Using John’s photos, a strong light, and magnifying glass, we were able to see a crack in the starboard tube. A photo with our iPad actually gave the best indication of a crack. A dye penetrant test confirmed the crack. The crack in the port tube wasn’t evident until the powder coat was removed. The attached document has good photos of John’s cracks.

We removed the frame and had it repaired by an experienced A&P (FAA mechanic) using techniques called out in AC 43-13. We reamed out the tubes and machined a tube to be a tight fit similar to Mod 72 for the upper tubes except the insert is the full length of the tube. The insert is welded to the original tube with rosette welds, and the cracks were stop drilled prior to welding. One bolt hole was elongated so we changed it to AN4.

A side note, when we started to remove the LG frame, we found that some of the mounting bolts were no longer tight. When doing your inspection, we suggest you check these nuts and if any are at all loose, inspect very carefully for cracks.

Our mono wheel kit was purchased April 2000, kit A185 and has 975 hours.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=484894#484894

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/181001a_photo_summary_of_landing_gear_frame_cracks_131.pdf

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: