Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surplus Wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMC_Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

I have a bunch of surplus BMS13-48 ETFE wire, 5 nickle-plated 24ga conductors, shielded.

Reading the AEC it seems an ok practice to bundle these conductors for larger currents, so I could use them together as a 18ga substitute from the table in Figure 8-3.

I'm wondering what I should do with the shield though? Is it useful to connect it to anything?

Any other advice/cautions about using nickle-plated BMS? My work let me dig through the scrap bin and I have hundreds of feet of this stuff. Thanks.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

On 6/13/2020 8:22 PM, BMC_Dave wrote:
Quote:

I have a bunch of surplus BMS13-48 ETFE wire, 5 nickle-plated 24ga conductors, shielded.

Reading the AEC it seems an ok practice to bundle these conductors for larger currents, so I could use them together as a 18ga substitute from the table in Figure 8-3.

I'm wondering what I should do with the shield though? Is it useful to connect it to anything?

Any other advice/cautions about using nickle-plated BMS? My work let me dig through the scrap bin and I have hundreds of feet of this stuff. Thanks.
I might be speaking out of the wrong orifice, but IIRC, nickel plated is

intended only for crimping, and is not solder friendly. If you're only
crimping, should be good to go. Just quite a bit of extra weight for the
equivalent wire gauge.

Have you thought about selling it off to other builders, to use for
intercom wiring, trim servos, etc, and using the money to purchase
appropriate gauges for various devices?

Charlie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BMC_Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

Unfortunately I won't be selling it.

I have harnesses for several things, so this will be at most two dozen circuits. Of which I can carry power and ground through one cable. So hey each one gets a wire for future use and a shield...

BMC_Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

The shield is sized for the combined current of the wires right? I'd like to use it for the other current conductor if I can.

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 4:23 PM BMC_Dave <bmcdave85(at)gmail.com (bmcdave85(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "BMC_Dave" <bmcdave85(at)gmail.com (bmcdave85(at)gmail.com)>

The shield is sized for the combined current of the wires right? I'd like to use it for the other current conductor if I can.

*In general*, that's not a bet I'd make, because shields are, well, shields. You don't normally see them carrying serious current, in the sense of actual power (RF transmission lines obviously excepted).  Having said that, if we're still talking about 24 awg wire, it's extremely unlikely that the shield would be any smaller than that. If you're talking about using the shield for a single circuit's ground return, it sounds reasonable, but check for yourself by stripping a conductor, measuring approx. dia. with calipers, and then do the same with the shield 'drain' wire, assuming that it's a foil style shield. If it's braided copper strands, then the effective gauge might well be much larger than the combination of all 5 conductors combined. Just check it. Compute cross sectional area for a bare 24 awg wire, and do the same for the shield drain, using the basic pi * r^2 formula for the area of a circle.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

At 04:12 PM 6/17/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "BMC_Dave" <bmcdave85(at)gmail.com>

NO . . . it's for conducting the products of electro-static
coupling. Essentially zero current. Run AMPs through
a known length of shield, measure voltage drop through
that segment. Compute the AWG equivalent from the
resistance values in a wire table.

Bob . . .

BMC_Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

Looking at the BMS13-48 spec the flat shield is tin coated copper, 0.0015" +-.0004 thk and 0.020" wide. I counted 16 strands in the braid I disassembled.

So 0.02"x.0011"x16 is 0.000352 sqin area, which is between 13-14ga (13.6, apparently). So that's what, 20ish Amps conservatively?

So the 5x 24ga conductors, slightly de-rated to 10A, seems the shield would be more than up to it.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

At 09:55 PM 6/17/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "BMC_Dave" <bmcdave85(at)gmail.com>

Looking at the BMS13-48 spec the flat shield is tin coated copper, 0.0015" +-.0004 thk and 0.020" wide. I counted 16 strands in the braid I disassembled.

So 0.02"x.0011"x16 is 0.000352 sqin area, which is between 13-14ga (13.6, apparently). So that's what, 20ish Amps conservatively?

So the 5x 24ga conductors, slightly de-rated to 10A, seems the shield would be more than up to it.

Not sure about your numbers. 14AWG solid wire is .065" diam. 3.14 x (.065/2)^2 = 0.0033 sq"

so I think your shield cross section compared to 14 AWG is off by a factor of 10?

24AWG is .02" diameter for a cross section of 3.14 x (.02/2)^2 = 0.000314 sq" x 5 strands
is a total of 0.00157 sq". Working backwards I get a diameter of 0.0447 which is
pretty close to 17AWG wire for equivalent resistance of the bundled strands.

I get 0.00048 sq" total cross section for the shield which works back to a
0.0247" diameter wire - just a tad smaller than 22AWG.

Keep in mind also that when the shield is a power path for
currents in central conductors, temperature rise is promoted
by BOTH current pathways under a single jacket.

I've used shields as return paths for countless, low
power or signal pathways but I'd have to think long
and carefully about pushing that combination of
conductor/insulation to its thermal limits.

What application are you considering where you find an
advantage in using the shield for this wire as a power-path?

Bob . . .

BMC_Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Surplus Wire Reply with quote

Yeah I got my zeros mixed up there. The shield is equivalent to a single 24ga wire, so that kills the idea. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: