Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DB pin crimper question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbean6(at)optimum.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

Bob,

Many years ago you supplied some crimpers for sale. I am still using mine.

I seem to remember (it is nearly 20 years) that you had to make some
adjustments before selling them. 
I see that Newark is advertising the same crimper today.

I am interested to know if these crimpers need the same adjustments.
If so I would like to know what it is before recommending them to a friend.

cheers Jim

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

At 04:43 PM 6/1/2020, you wrote:

Quote:
Bob,

Those tools are commonly sold for crimping 20AWG
pins. I discovered that they would also apply
22AWG pins if a new positioner were crafted to
lift the smaller pin about 0.040" in the pocket.

I sold about 150 of the 22AWG adapters to Steinair.
Unmodified tools perform as expected with
20AWG pins.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dj_theis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

Is this the crimper y’all speak of?

https://www.steinair.com/product/4-way-indent-crimper/

Steinair indicates for small jobs it is sufficient but for larger projects the high buck DMC is encouraged.

20 years seems to be a pretty reasonably long description of a “small job” and if I can do quality work with the more modest tool, I’d be inclined to use the savings for other tools and toys.

Dan Theis

Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
n520tx(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

Yep - that's it.

The DMC one is awesome, but that little red one is decent for it's
price. Takes a couple of squeezes to get the right "feel" and not over
crimp.

--Ron

On 6/2/20 12:02 PM, dj_theis wrote:
Quote:

Steinair indicates for small jobs it is sufficient but for larger projects the high buck DMC is encouraged.

20 years seems to be a pretty reasonably long description of a “small job” and if I can do quality work with the more modest tool, I’d be inclined to use the savings for other tools and toys.

Dan Theis

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

I actually wrote up my experience with this tool back in 2010.

I never did get a high dollar crimper and still consider this little tool to create very reliable crimps. These barrel type d-sub pins are the way to go.

Bill Watson Kitlog Entry

On 6/1/2020 11:08 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
At 04:43 PM 6/1/2020, you wrote:

Quote:
Bob,

Those tools are commonly sold for crimping 20AWG
pins. I discovered that they would also apply
22AWG pins if a new positioner were crafted to
lift the smaller pin about 0.040" in the pocket.

I sold about 150 of the 22AWG adapters to Steinair.
Unmodified tools perform as expected with
20AWG pins.

Bob . . .

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

I bought the similar looking one from B&C and it works great, first squeeze every time. I bought an identical one from ebay so that I could tweak the adjustment knob for the tiny pins in high-density connectors. It was a couple dollars less expensive.

--Rick
On 6/2/2020 1:34 PM, Ron Walker wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ron Walker <n520tx(at)gmail.com> (n520tx(at)gmail.com)

Yep -  that's it.

The DMC one is awesome, but that little red one is decent for it's price. Takes a couple of squeezes to get the right "feel" and not over crimp.

--Ron

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com> (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)

Dan Theis

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

Someone mentioned earlier about an adapter that controls the amount of squeeze for #22 wire, vs #20. Perhaps there is more than one type of inexpensive dSub crimper out there, but the red handled one I have (looks identical to the pics posted earlier) uses a different insert for *high density* pins. As near as I can tell, the insert only controls how deep the pin inserts into the tool, which controls the point on the barrel that is crimped. On mine, the actual crimp action is unaffected by changing the insert. I rarely change the insert when crimping the occasional hi density pin; I just manually keep the pin from going too deep in the crimper. I've never noticed any quality difference in #20 vs #22 wire.

One of my favorite scifi authors, who also wrote for Byte Magazine back when personal computers were a new thing, used to say that 'better is the enemy of good enough'. It's really hard to imagine justifying a $300+ tool for a job that a $30 tool does just fine, short of a true production environment. But that's just me....

Charlie

On 6/2/2020 6:44 PM, Rick Beebe wrote:

Quote:

I bought the similar looking one from B&C and it works great, first squeeze every time. I bought an identical one from ebay so that I could tweak the adjustment knob for the tiny pins in high-density connectors. It was a couple dollars less expensive.

--Rick

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ron Walker <n520tx(at)gmail.com> (n520tx(at)gmail.com)

Yep -  that's it.

The DMC one is awesome, but that little red one is decent for it's price. Takes a couple of squeezes to get the right "feel" and not over crimp.

--Ron

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com> (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)

Dan Theis

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

I looked forward to Jerry Pournelle's column every month. Even after Byte went all digital.

A guru in the EV world uses a variant on that saying that I like better. "Perfect is the enemy of progress."
I just finished a 6 month project re-wiring my entire panel so having the two crimpers was a time-saver. The adjustment is just how far the pin goes in. But I'm with you, I can't see the point of spending $300 on a tool like that.
--RIck
On 6/2/2020 8:21 PM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:
Someone mentioned earlier about an adapter that controls the amount of squeeze for #22 wire, vs #20. Perhaps there is more than one type of inexpensive dSub crimper out there, but the red handled one I have (looks identical to the pics posted earlier) uses a different insert for *high density* pins. As near as I can tell, the insert only controls how deep the pin inserts into the tool, which controls the point on the barrel that is crimped. On mine, the actual crimp action is unaffected by changing the insert. I rarely change the insert when crimping the occasional hi density pin; I just manually keep the pin from going too deep in the crimper. I've never noticed any quality difference in #20 vs #22 wire.

One of my favorite scifi authors, who also wrote for Byte Magazine back when personal computers were a new thing, used to say that 'better is the enemy of good enough'. It's really hard to imagine justifying a $300+ tool for a job that a $30 tool does just fine, short of a true production environment. But that's just me....

[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

This discussion is helping my memory.

To put a finer point on my previously posted Kitlog entries, the problem was that the insert I had allowed the standard density pin to be inserted too far.  I had to stuff it with 'something' so that the pin would stop at the right height to get the crimps in the right place consistently..

Interestingly, if the only difference between the standard and high density pin inserts is the depth, then the batch of 'bad' crimpers might have just had the high density insert. 

that would be consistent with Charlie England's observations (I thought the difference may have been diameter but have zero experience with the HD pins).

Agree that AWG20 and 22 wire work fine.  AWG24 benefits from a 2X strip and being doubled over.  ( I recall that some of the electric trim or AP products user #24)

In the end, the red handled crimper is a cost effective and reliable tool in my 10+ years of off and on usage.

Quote:

Charlie

Quote:

--Rick

Quote:

Yep -  that's it.

--Ron

Quote:

Dan Theis

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: DB pin crimper question Reply with quote

I'd suspect that you just got a defective positioner. The HD pins don't go into the tool as deep as the standard pins; that's how I'm able to do HD pins without swapping the positioner.

Agree on doubling #24, on the rare occasions I've used it (typically stuff with fly leads, where you don't have a choice).

Charlie

On 6/4/2020 9:12 AM, Bill Watson wrote:

Quote:
This discussion is helping my memory.

To put a finer point on my previously posted Kitlog entries, the problem was that the insert I had allowed the standard density pin to be inserted too far.  I had to stuff it with 'something' so that the pin would stop at the right height to get the crimps in the right place consistently..

Interestingly, if the only difference between the standard and high density pin inserts is the depth, then the batch of 'bad' crimpers might have just had the high density insert. 

that would be consistent with Charlie England's observations (I thought the difference may have been diameter but have zero experience with the HD pins).

Agree that AWG20 and 22 wire work fine.  AWG24 benefits from a 2X strip and being doubled over.  ( I recall that some of the electric trim or AP products user #24)

In the end, the red handled crimper is a cost effective and reliable tool in my 10+ years of off and on usage.

Quote:

Charlie

Quote:

--Rick

Quote:

Yep -  that's it.

--Ron

Quote:

Dan Theis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: