Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bose Headset Replacement Plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Greetings Ya’All,

I am still trying to find out what color wire connects to the phone jack lugs of the Bose A20 “GA wire harness”…

From the recommendations you gave from my last post on this subject I tried to do a continuity check of the wires to the phone plug so as to determine what color wires went to the jack lugs however the wires were broken inside. I then tried to dig out the plastic molded on cable end and trace the wire colors to the plug however as the molded on plastic was removed it pulled off the colored insulation from the wires so now I…and my headset…are dead in the water because I do not know what wire is supposed to go where.

So I need to know what color wires (red/black/white/blue/green) are supposed to be soldered on to the replacement Neutrik NP3X plug’s three lugs (tip/center/ring) and

If you can help I would be greatly appreciative since Bose wants 300 bucks for a replacement cable.

THANKS!!!!

Bill

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Eric Page

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Red (positive) and black (ground) will almost certainly be power to the headset electronics. White, blue and green are probably left, right and ground for audio. The correlation of those colors is anyone's guess, but they're easy to figure out.
You may be able to determine audio ground by a continuity check with power ground (black). Left and right are easily determined by experimentation with a 1.5V AA or AAA battery (do NOT use a 9V!).  Put the headset on, then hold one wire on the "-" pole of the battery and tap another wire on the "+" pole. You'll hear a scratching noise in the ear that's fed by that wire.
Eric

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 11:02:28 AM PDT, <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> wrote:
I am still trying to find out what color wire connects to the phone jack lugs of the Bose A20 “GA wire harness”…

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Eric Page

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Right after posting that last suggestion, I opened the weekly email from Kitplanes magazine and found this article about repairing the cable on Bose headsets!
https://www.kitplanes.com/crimping-style/

Eric

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 11:02:28 AM PDT, <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Whilst doing my research on how to replace the phone plug on my Bose A20 headset, I ran across an article by Matt Dralle who modified a Bose A20 headset to make it to automatically turn on. In the article he took the Bose electronics all apart and did the modification…and he was able to put it all back together again so I figure that he must be pretty smart and he would be the guy to know what color wires to solder to the headphone plug for my replacement Neutrix NP3X plug.

Does anyone out there know how to get a hold of Matt and can you please ask him the question:

What color wires (red/black/white/blue/green) are supposed to be soldered on to the replacement Neutrik NP3X plug’s three lugs (tip/center/ring)?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 10:35 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug

Greetings Ya’All,

From the recommendations you gave from my last post on this subject I tried to do a continuity check of the wires to the phone plug so as to determine what color wires went to the jack lugs however the wires were broken inside. I then tried to dig out the plastic molded on cable end and trace the wire colors to the plug however as the molded on plastic was removed it pulled off the colored insulation from the wires so now I…and my headset…are dead in the water because I do not know what wire is supposed to go where.

So I need to know what color wires (red/black/white/blue/green) are supposed to be soldered on to the replacement Neutrik NP3X plug’s three lugs (tip/center/ring) and

If you can help I would be greatly appreciative since Bose wants 300 bucks for a replacement cable.

THANKS!!!!

Bill

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Bill,

Did you see my post on how to ID the leads using a 1 1/2 Volt flashlight battery?

On 4/24/2020 12:52 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Whilst doing my research on how to replace the phone plug on my Bose A20 headset, I ran across an article by Matt Dralle who modified a Bose A20 headset to make it to automatically turn on.  In the article he took the Bose electronics all apart and did the modification…and he was able to put it all back together again so I figure that he must be pretty smart and he would be the guy to know what color wires to solder to the headphone plug for my replacement Neutrix NP3X plug.

Does anyone out there know how to get a hold of Matt and can you please ask him the question:

What color wires (red/black/white/blue/green) are supposed to be soldered on to the replacement Neutrik NP3X plug’s three lugs (tip/center/ring)?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) On Behalf Of billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)

Greetings Ya’All,

From the recommendations you gave from my last post on this subject I tried to do a continuity check of the wires to the phone plug so as to determine what color wires went to the jack lugs however the wires were broken inside.  I then tried to dig out the plastic molded on cable end and trace the wire colors to the plug however as the molded on plastic was removed it pulled off the colored insulation from the wires so now I…and my headset…are dead in the water because I do not know what wire is supposed to go where.

THANKS!!!!

Bill

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you see my post on how to ID the leads using a 1 1/2 Volt flashlight battery?

Sorry not when you initially posted it…just read it now.

Would it be safe to assume that the black wire is the ground? I am so close I do not want try fry anything.

I was hoping to find someone on this forum who has done this repair and knew the exact colors to place where. I was really surprised that the phone plug had 5 wires as I just assumed that it would have only three.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: Bose Headset Replacement Plug

Bill,

On 4/24/2020 12:52 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:
Quote:

Whilst doing my research on how to replace the phone plug on my Bose A20 headset, I ran across an article by Matt Dralle who modified a Bose A20 headset to make it to automatically turn on. In the article he took the Bose electronics all apart and did the modification…and he was able to put it all back together again so I figure that he must be pretty smart and he would be the guy to know what color wires to solder to the headphone plug for my replacement Neutrix NP3X plug.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) On Behalf Of billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)

Greetings Ya’All,

THANKS!!!!

Bill

Virus-free. www.avast.com

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

To cover all bases, you can power up the headset and check all combinations of wire pairs for *voltage* before doing anything else. Black is *likely* to be ground/common, but you just need to check for yourself.

I agree that it's odd to have 5 wires going to a 3 terminal plug, but maybe they just used the same cable for everything, & didn't hook up the extra conductors in the cable for the phones plug. I've seen similar stuff in things like USB and serial cables.

Does (did...) the headset work in non-noise-cancelling mode if the batteries are dead or removed? If so, you could do the battery trick even without it being powered up.

Another option, if you haven't tried it yet, is to take an exacto knife to the old plug. Cut along the molded housing (not across) a little depth at a time, trying to peel it away from the conductors before going a little deeper. You might be able to get past the broken spot in the wires so you can check wire colors with an ohm meter. I've had good luck doing this with molded connectors on other products.

Charlie

On 4/24/2020 6:15 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Quote:

Would it be safe to assume that the black wire is the ground?  I am so close I do not want try fry anything.

I was hoping to find someone on this forum who has done this repair and knew the exact colors to place where.  I was really surprised that the phone plug had 5 wires as I just assumed that it would have only three.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) On Behalf Of Charlie England

Bill,

Quote:

Whilst doing my research on how to replace the phone plug on my Bose A20 headset, I ran across an article by Matt Dralle who modified a Bose A20 headset to make it to automatically turn on.  In the article he took the Bose electronics all apart and did the modification…and he was able to put it all back together again so I figure that he must be pretty smart and he would be the guy to know what color wires to solder to the headphone plug for my replacement Neutrix NP3X plug.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Greetings Ya’All,

From the recommendations you gave from my last post on this subject I tried to do a continuity check of the wires to the phone plug so as to determine what color wires went to the jack lugs however the wires were broken inside.  I then tried to dig out the plastic molded on cable end and trace the wire colors to the plug however as the molded on plastic was removed it pulled off the colored insulation from the wires so now I…and my headset…are dead in the water because I do not know what wire is supposed to go where.

THANKS!!!!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Quote:
Does (did...) the headset work in non-noise-cancelling mode if the batteries are dead or removed? If so, you could do the battery trick even without it being powered up.

Yes it did so I will try that first.

Quote:
Another option, if you haven't tried it yet, is to take an exacto knife to the old plug. Cut along the molded housing (not across) a little depth at a time, trying to peel it away from the conductors before going a little deeper. You might be able to get past the broken spot in the wires so you can check wire colors with an ohm meter. I've had good luck doing this with molded connectors on other products.

That is how I screwed it up. I tried to slowly cut down and peel the plastic back however that plastic was molded on very tight and as I peeled away the wire insulation came off and all I found was three wire conductors connected to the three rings of the plug.

Thanks Charlie

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 5:09 PM

To cover all bases, you can power up the headset and check all combinations of wire pairs for *voltage* before doing anything else. Black is *likely* to be ground/common, but you just need to check for yourself.

I agree that it's odd to have 5 wires going to a 3 terminal plug, but maybe they just used the same cable for everything, & didn't hook up the extra conductors in the cable for the phones plug. I've seen similar stuff in things like USB and serial cables.

Charlie

On 4/24/2020 6:15 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Would it be safe to assume that the black wire is the ground? I am so close I do not want try fry anything.

I was hoping to find someone on this forum who has done this repair and knew the exact colors to place where. I was really surprised that the phone plug had 5 wires as I just assumed that it would have only three.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) On Behalf Of Charlie England

Bill,

Quote:

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Greetings Ya’All,

THANKS!!!!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Still striking out on my headset plug replacement…cant believe this is so dang complicated…

I did as Charlie recommended, I stripped all six wire ends and used a 1.5 volt battery to see if I could hear the headset speakers click hoping to find the mystery three wires.

Instead, only when the black and green wires are touched together will both speakers click.

No matter what other combination of wires are touched together there will be no sound at all out of the speakers.

There are six colored wires (ORANGE/GREEN/ BLUE/ YELLOW/ WHITE/ BLACK) and the braided shield…

Why would a plug that has only three conductors have six wires routed to it. When I broke the plastic molded end off there were only three conductors soldered to the plug lugs and sadly the colored wire insulation came off with the plastic.

I even tried opening up the plastic electronics housing and I was kinda hoping to find three wires going to one connector and three to a second conductor as a hint however the six wires all go to one 6pin connector.

So any suggestions other than paying 300 bucks to buy a new one?

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com

Greetings Ya’All,

THANKS!!!!

Bill

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

I don’t remember you saying if it was an A20 or X model but if it’s an A20, maybe this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dual-Plug-Cable-for-Bose-A20-series-Aviation-Headset-HH/163901594462?pageci=77c40890-b9cb-40d0-975c-a7a7630c5f1b

Quote:
On Apr 25, 2020, at 12:59 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com wrote:

Still striking out on my headset plug replacement…cant believe this is so dang complicated…

I did as Charlie recommended, I stripped all six wire ends and used a 1.5 volt battery to see if I could hear the headset speakers click hoping to find the mystery three wires.

Instead, only when the black and green wires are touched together will both speakers click.

No matter what other combination of wires are touched together there will be no sound at all out of the speakers.

There are six colored wires (ORANGE/GREEN/ BLUE/ YELLOW/ WHITE/ BLACK) and the braided shield…

Why would a plug that has only three conductors have six wires routed to it. When I broke the plastic molded end off there were only three conductors soldered to the plug lugs and sadly the colored wire insulation came off with the plastic.

I even tried opening up the plastic electronics housing and I was kinda hoping to find three wires going to one connector and three to a second conductor as a hint however the six wires all go to one 6pin connector.

Greetings Ya’All,

THANKS!!!!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Tim,

Thanks for the link.

Great minds think alike as I had found this replacement on eBay and that was the inspiration for me opening up the electronics/battery compartment.

There is a super small six conductor plug that connects the wires to the PC board and it seems that the replacement cable does not have the plug so I would have to use the very small telephone cord butt splices to splice it to the electronics/battery box.  This might be a cheap option and I could make it less ugly if I staggered the splices and used heavy wall heat shrink tubing to cover the splices.

There is a guy on another forum who fixes headsets and I reached out to him to see if he could provide me the three color wires for the plug so I will report back.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Tim Olson
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 11:11 AM

I don’t remember you saying if it was an A20 or X model but if it’s an A20, maybe this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dual-Plug-Cable-for-Bose-A20-series-Aviation-Headset-HH/163901594462?pageci=77c40890-b9cb-40d0-975c-a7a7630c5f1b

Quote:

On Apr 25, 2020, at 12:59 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)

Greetings Ya’All,

THANKS!!!!

Bill

rnadms(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

might this Google search be of any help?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=opera&hs=ne&sxsrf=ALeKk02FDjIzcNjwLE9EuLguvkDPXxdNNw%3A1587928058120&ei=-tulXpDjBsW2ggf-kK7ICw&q=bose+headset+wiring+diagram&oq=Bose+Headset+wiring+digram&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgQIABANMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMggIABAIEA0QHjIICAAQCBANEB46BAgAEEc6BwgAEBQQhwI6AggAOgQIABBDOgUIABDEAjoECAAQClCgHljjQWC1XGgAcAJ4AIABugGIAaUNkgEEMC4xNJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 7:01 PM <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] Tim,

Thanks for the link.

Great minds think alike as I had found this replacement on eBay and that
was the inspiration for me opening up the electronics/battery compartment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks R Adams the Google search link however sadly I was unable to find what I needed.

Like when I did the Google search before I posted on AeroElectric I found lots of wire diagrams for aircraft receptacles that accept the Bose headset plugs and these used different wire colors and I also found a number of wire diagrams for other model Bose headsets however the wire colors on those diagrams were also different than the ORANGE/GREEN/ BLUE/ YELLOW/ WHITE/ BLACK wires in my headset plug end.

Does somebody know somebody who would know…

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of R Adams
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 12:11 PM

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=opera&hs=ne&sxsrf=ALeKk02FDjIzcNjwLE9EuLguvkDPXxdNNw%3A1587928058120&ei=-tulXpDjBsW2ggf-kK7ICw&q=bose+headset+wiring+diagram&oq=Bose+Headset+wiring+digram&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgQIABANMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMggIABAIEA0QHjIICAAQCBANEB46BAgAEEc6BwgAEBQQhwI6AggAOgQIABBDOgUIABDEAjoECAAQClCgHljjQWC1XGgAcAJ4AIABugGIAaUNkgEEMC4xNJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 7:01 PM <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Tim,

Thanks for the link.

Great minds think alike as I had found this replacement on eBay and that was the inspiration for me opening up the electronics/battery compartment.

There is a super small six conductor plug that connects the wires to the PC board and it seems that the replacement cable does not have the plug so I would have to use the very small telephone cord butt splices to splice it to the electronics/battery box. This might be a cheap option and I could make it less ugly if I staggered the splices and used heavy wall heat shrink tubing to cover the splices.

There is a guy on another forum who fixes headsets and I reached out to him to see if he could provide me the three color wires for the plug so I will report back.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Tim Olson

Quote:

On Apr 25, 2020, at 12:59 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)

Greetings Ya’All,

THANKS!!!!

Bill

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Replacement Plug Reply with quote

on the manual page 32:

[img]cid:part1.6EC10994.0D8337C8(at)gmx.net[/img]

On 27.04.2020 00:21, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks R Adams the Google search link however sadly I was unable to find what I needed.

Like when I did the Google search before I posted on AeroElectric I found lots of wire diagrams for aircraft receptacles that accept the Bose headset plugs and these used different wire colors and I also found a number of wire diagrams for other model Bose headsets however the wire colors on those diagrams were also different than the ORANGE/GREEN/ BLUE/ YELLOW/ WHITE/ BLACK wires in my headset plug end.

Does somebody know somebody who would know…

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) On Behalf Of R Adams
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 12:11 PM

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 7:01 PM <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Tim,

Thanks for the link.

There is a super small six conductor plug that connects the wires to the PC board and it seems that the replacement cable does not have the plug so I would have to use the very small telephone cord butt splices to splice it to the electronics/battery box.  This might be a cheap option and I could make it less ugly if I staggered the splices and used heavy wall heat shrink tubing to cover the splices.

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Tim Olson

Quote:

Why would a plug that has only three conductors have six wires routed to it.  When I broke the plastic molded end off there were only three conductors soldered to the plug lugs and sadly the colored wire insulation came off with the plastic.

Greetings Ya’All,

THANKS!!!!

Bill

obmmpdfgffdjjghp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.8 KB
 Viewed:  5494 Time(s)

obmmpdfgffdjjghp.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: