Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/4HP Belt Sander Motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsmith52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: 3/4HP Belt Sander Motor Reply with quote

Not directly aircraft related but a tool that I use extensively in construction of my Bearhawk for shaping metal parts. The motor is now spooling up very slowly and when a load is placed on it, slows down considerably. As far as I can tell, it is brushless, It's described as Type: TEFC Capacitor-Start Induction and does have a large external capacitor. Any ideas on repairing instead of replacing this?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: 3/4HP Belt Sander Motor Reply with quote

At 02:46 PM 4/13/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
Not directly aircraft related but a tool that I use extensively in construction of my Bearhawk for shaping metal parts. The motor is now spooling up very slowly and when a load is placed on it, slows down considerably. As far as I can tell, it is brushless, It's described as Type: TEFC Capacitor-Start Induction and does have a large external capacitor. Any ideas on repairing instead of replacing this?

Hmmm . . only one capacitor? If so, the capacitor
is significant only for starting. If it spools up
slowly -AND- lugs down under load, I'm thinking
the motor has hurt windings . . . not good if
this is the case.

There is a centrifugal switch that disconnects
the start winding and its companion capacitor
after the motor reaches some fraction of
nameplate rpm. If that switch is burned, then
it wouldn't start at all. The fact that
it is 'sluggish' at all times does not bode well.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

barp99(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: 3/4HP Belt Sander Motor Reply with quote

On 14/04/2020 10:05 am, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Not directly aircraft related but a tool that I use extensively in construction of my Bearhawk for shaping metal parts. The motor is now spooling up very slowly and when a load is placed on it, slows down considerably. As far as I can tell, it is brushless, It's described as Type:  TEFC Capacitor-Start Induction and does have a large external capacitor. Any ideas on repairing instead of replacing this?

Hmmm . . only one capacitor? If so, the capacitor
 is significant only for starting. If it spools up
 slowly -AND- lugs down under load, I'm thinking
 the motor has hurt windings . . . not good if
 this is the case.

There is a centrifugal switch that disconnects
 the start winding and its companion capacitor
 after the motor reaches some fraction of
 nameplate rpm. If that switch is burned, then
 it wouldn't start at all. The fact that
 it is 'sluggish' at all times does not bode well.

Bob . . .
There is a small chance it is a capacitor run motor. A capacitor run motor has no centrifugal switch, and the second winding stays in circuit. If your capacitor starts to fail, its capacitance will drop, reducing the phase angle between the two magnetic fluxes, reducing start and run torque. If no centrifugal switch, check the capacitor for correct capacitance, and replace if low, this may be an easy and cheap fix. 

Brian Phillips. 

stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: 3/4HP Belt Sander Motor Reply with quote

I have a recurring problem with the start circuit on my heavy duty cold saw, but it’s an easy fix.
I started by changing the capacitor, but it wasn’t that.  Turns out that periodically I need to use a small file to clean the centrifugally-controlled points that keep the start capacitor in circuit until the motor spools up.  Otherwise it stays slow, bogs down and starts making smoke after about 30 seconds.  I get a season or two out of it before cleaning again.

Cheers, Stu
Quote:
On 14 Apr 2020, at 10:53 am, Brian Phillips <barp99(at)gmail.com (barp99(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
On 14/04/2020 10:05 am, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not directly aircraft related but a tool that I use extensively in construction of my Bearhawk for shaping metal parts. The motor is now spooling up very slowly and when a load is placed on it, slows down considerably. As far as I can tell, it is brushless, It's described as Type:  TEFC Capacitor-Start Induction and does have a large external capacitor. Any ideas on repairing instead of replacing this?
 Hmmm . . only one capacitor? If so, the capacitor  is significant only for starting. If it spools up  slowly -AND- lugs down under load, I'm thinking  the motor has hurt windings . . . not good if  this is the case.  There is a centrifugal switch that disconnects  the start winding and its companion capacitor  after the motor reaches some fraction of  nameplate rpm. If that switch is burned, then  it wouldn't start at all. The fact that  it is 'sluggish' at all times does not bode well.
  Bob . . .
There is a small chance it is a capacitor run motor. A capacitor run motor has no centrifugal switch, and the second winding stays in circuit. If your capacitor starts to fail, its capacitance will drop, reducing the phase angle between the two magnetic fluxes, reducing start and run torque. If no centrifugal switch, check the capacitor for correct capacitance, and replace if low, this may be an easy and cheap fix.  Brian Phillips. 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: