Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surprise, surprise surprise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fougapilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Surprise, surprise surprise Reply with quote

Well,

After 21 hard flying seasons and over 1000hrs hauling me in the sky, I decided it was time to send my engine to overhaul. So early December I shipped it to Romania and I had a big surprise when they dismantled it!

It would seem my engine had a hydraulic lock somewhere in its life. Luckily for me, although the #5 connecting rod was bent, the engine did not fail on us.

The picture clearly shows the #5 rod bent!

I am told by the factory that although rare, they do discover bent connecting rods when then engines are opened.

I am also told that it is nearly impossible to know when this happened. It could be on the very last flight, or it could be on the very first flight.

We purchased the engine in 1998 and installed it on the airplane. The engine has an intake drain kit and we have been very meticulous with pulling it through on every start.

There are a few assumptions out there as to why the engine didn't quit on us. One is that although it was bent, the rod was not damaged enough to break. The other is that the rod was not bent enough for the piston to come out of the cylinder at the bottom dead center point. But these are simply assumptions and with w few bucks they will help you get a warm cup of coffee...

In any case, I am counting my blessings as I have flown 99% of the houres on that engine myself.

The bent rod will come back with the engine and I will put it on a plaque overhead the hangar door as a reminder.

Be careful out there kids.

Dan

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

DF1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.59 KB
 Viewed:  3236 Time(s)

DF1.jpg

AlaskaChang801

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Surprise, surprise surprise Reply with quote

WOW!! Every time I see one of these I get more paranoid about hydro-lock. Can't get my drain kit installed fast enough and will be even more cautious about any felt resistance in the pull through's.

Glad you managed to fly as long as you did without failure.!

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: