Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Bottle Ground Compressor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

TGIF, Red Stars!

As Summer reluctantly embraces we aviators of the north, my latest dilemma involves my Bauer 7,000lb compressor that I've used for years to fill my scuba tanks. Regrettably, it has decided to ride the pine. (It was no surprise...I noticed it spending considerable time after curfew with some RV guys.) Anyway, I can't even find a shop that will consider options for repair, as apparently these high psi compressors are beyond the scope of many techs. A suitable replacement would practically necessitate a less-informed version of "Breaking Bad" on my part. I was just wondering what options are out there that I haven't considered or thought-of. 'Not fond of the ol' bi-weekly trip to the dive shop to fill up.

Thank you for any input!!

Tailwinds, healthy mags and tight pneumatics to all!!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.
Wausau, WI. 54401
//
1969 Cessna 150J ^/---//-X
N61333 // Hangar #35 / AUW
//
1992 Yakovlev Yak 52 ^/---//-X
N21YK //
Hangar #21 / AUW

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Viperdoc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

The real question Rico is why do you have to do biweekly dive shop trips for scuba tank refills. How tight is your air system?
I may fill my scuba tanks once every 6 months.
Now I have noticed that if by some freak brain fart the I left my main air valve partially closed that by the end of that week of said brain fart, my main system will have leaked down to 1 ATM. Seems brain farts are becoming more frequently these past few years. Just hope the brain farts and the compressor stall grafts don’t merge anytime soon. If so I’ll be shitting and forgetting where or why!
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 7, 2019, at 7:53 AM, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
TGIF, Red Stars!

As Summer reluctantly embraces we aviators of the north, my latest dilemma involves my Bauer 7,000lb compressor that I've used for years to fill my scuba tanks. Regrettably, it has decided to ride the pine. (It was no surprise...I noticed it spending considerable time after curfew with some RV guys.) Anyway, I can't even find a shop that will consider options for repair, as apparently these high psi compressors are beyond the scope of many techs. A suitable replacement would practically necessitate a less-informed version of "Breaking Bad" on my part. I was just wondering what options are out there that I haven't considered or thought-of. 'Not fond of the ol' bi-weekly trip to the dive shop to fill up.

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.
Wausau, WI. 54401
//
//
N21YK //
Hangar #21 / AUW

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

One option is to contact your local welding shop supplier. They will rent you a dry, compressed air medium (called a “200”) size or large (called a “300”) size tank which they will typically exchange for a fresh tank when you need it. Usually they will pick up and deliver.

I found this better than driving to the scuba shop for refills.
Hope this helps.
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:53 AM, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
TGIF, Red Stars!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.
Wausau, WI. 54401
//
//
N21YK //
Hangar #21 / AUW

LawnDart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323806995999

I have one of these, worth the entry fee.

marcusbates(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

Compressor from a refrigerator will put up approx 450-500 psi."
Sent from my iPad

On Jun 7, 2019, at 7:53 AM, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
TGIF, Red Stars!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.
Wausau, WI. 54401
//
//
N21YK //
Hangar #21 / AUW

Clouddog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

Believe it or not but I take mine to the local fire station that fills the air bottles for the fire fighters Scott bottles. I found an adapter online that connects to the scuba bottle but they already have them for their scuba rescue team. They fill my scuba bottles  all the time for me. 

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019, 09:01 Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
TGIF, Red Stars!

Thank you for any input!! 

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.                  
Wausau, WI. 54401     
                                                                    //
1969 Cessna 150J                            ^/---//-X
N61333                                                  // Hangar #35 / AUW
                                                  //              
1992 Yakovlev Yak 52    ^/---//-X
N21YK                                   //
Hangar #21 / AUW

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

Best bet is a Cornelius compressor, WWII surplus.24volt DC, 1500 PSI.
I have two of them which I use for shop air in testing overhauled actuators, valves, etc.  I paid $250.00 each for mine, found then on the internet.  

Doug
On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 10:27 AM Marcus Bates <marcusbates(at)att.net (marcusbates(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Compressor from a refrigerator will put up approx 450-500 psi."
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
TGIF, Red Stars!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.                  
Wausau, WI. 54401     
                                                                    //
                                                  //              
Hangar #21 / AUW

Ttail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

I and a number of others have gone for a Paintball type system Small bottle can be punped to 4500psi. Will get around 37Kgcm2 from an empty tank. Also portable so you can take it away with you. Compressor was a Chinese one bought on line for around US$500 on Ali baba. Uses Stauf fittings to connect it all up. I know of a couple of people have connected the compressor direct to the aircraft as well.

pennington.construction.i

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

Rico

I use the large 300 size bottle in my hanger like Dennis had mentioned.  The company is ARC gasses and welding supply.  They are a national company.  I rent the bottle for 19 dollars a year.  They deliver a new bottle when I call and the total cost for that is 45 dollars.
I have owned my CJ for three years and to date I have only used one bottle a calendar year.  My heaviest use was when I was changing landing gear actuators and I used an entire bottle.
So my total out of pocket to have high pressure (2000 psi) dry air in the hangar is 65 bucks a year.
Cheaper than a compressor unless you can find a deal like Doug got on his WWII 24 volt unit.  Then your still making wet air.
Mark
N621CJ

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 11:08 AM Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com (f16viperdoc(at)me.com)> wrote:

Quote:
The real question Rico is why do you have to do biweekly dive shop trips for scuba tank refills. How tight is your air system? 
Now I have noticed that if by some freak brain fart the I left my main air valve partially closed that by the end of that week of said brain fart, my main system will have leaked down to 1 ATM. Seems brain farts are becoming more frequently these past few years. Just hope the brain farts and the compressor stall grafts don’t merge anytime soon. If so I’ll be shitting and forgetting where or why! 
Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
TGIF, Red Stars!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.                  
Wausau, WI. 54401     
                                                                    //
                                                  //              
Hangar #21 / AUW

JB Soar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in a Cornelius 24 volt compressor, I have one for sale.  It works beautifully.  Contact me off-list, if you are interested.
Thank you!
John B 
On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 3:23 PM Mark Pennington <pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com (pennington.construction.inc.1(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Rico

I use the large 300 size bottle in my hanger like Dennis had mentioned.  The company is ARC gasses and welding supply.  They are a national company.  I rent the bottle for 19 dollars a year.  They deliver a new bottle when I call and the total cost for that is 45 dollars.
I have owned my CJ for three years and to date I have only used one bottle a calendar year.  My heaviest use was when I was changing landing gear actuators and I used an entire bottle.
So my total out of pocket to have high pressure (2000 psi) dry air in the hangar is 65 bucks a year.
Cheaper than a compressor unless you can find a deal like Doug got on his WWII 24 volt unit.  Then your still making wet air.
Mark
N621CJ

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 11:08 AM Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com (f16viperdoc(at)me.com)> wrote:

Quote:
The real question Rico is why do you have to do biweekly dive shop trips for scuba tank refills. How tight is your air system? 
Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
TGIF, Red Stars!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.                  
Wausau, WI. 54401     
                                                                    //
                                                  //              
Hangar #21 / AUW

michaelrorth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

Rico,
I have a Cornelius compressor for sale.
$200 USD plus postage.
Michael
719-238-4298
mosurf(at)xplornet.com (mosurf(at)xplornet.com)

On 6/7/2019 6:53 AM, Rico Jaeger wrote:

Quote:
P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} TGIF, Red Stars!

Thank youfor any input!!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.
Wausau, WI. 54401
//
//
1992 Yakovlev Yak 52^/---//-X
N21YK //
Hangar #21 / AUW

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Snazpappy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

I’ve got the bottle thanks to a recommendation from Dennis.

I am Wondering where I can get a high pressure regulator that delivers 800 psi, that is less than $600

Thanks

Snazpappy

markbitterlich(at)embarqm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

That is a very good question. I paid more than $1000 for mine, which is connected to a 3000 PSI bottle. Possibly you might get lucky with something paintball related?

Lots of people just open the valve very slowly, and watch their pressure gage while they're doing it. Then listen for the pop-off valve to open. Is this safe? Well... in a word... no. That being said, in order to avoid being labeled a total hypocrite, I must say that I've done it myself many times using a scuba tank. I cringe just saying it. There is a very real potential there for causing an explosion that would be ... life threatening.

Mark
--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

I found Todd one and forwarded him the link to it.
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 8/26/2019 10:05 PM, Mark Bitterlich wrote:
[quote]

That is a very good question. I paid more than $1000 for mine, which is connected to a 3000 PSI bottle. Possibly you might get lucky with something paintball related?

Lots of people just open the valve very slowly, and watch their pressure gage while they're doing it. Then listen for the pop-off valve to open. Is this safe? Well... in a word... no. That being said, in order to avoid being labeled a total hypocrite, I must say that I've done it myself many times using a scuba tank. I cringe just saying it. There is a very real potential there for causing an explosion that would be ... life threatening.

Mark
--

markbitterlich(at)embarqm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Air Bottle Ground Compressor Reply with quote

Heck, send it to me too! 😁

-------- Original message --------
From: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>
Date: 8/26/19 22:15 (GMT-05:00)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Re: Air Bottle Ground Compressor

--> Yak-List message posted by: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>

I found Todd one and forwarded him the link to it.
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 8/26/2019 10:05 PM, Mark Bitterlich wrote:
[quote] --> Yak-List message posted by: "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com>

Mark
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: