Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GNS 480 problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saolesen(at)sirentel.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: GNS 480 problems Reply with quote

My GNS 480 won’t turn on. I’ve checked the wiring to the radio tray and there is the proper voltage at the proper pins. I also attached the 480 to a bench power supply and it turned on just fine. Sliding the radio back in the tray and turning it on there was nothing. So my question is: If I replace the female power and ground pins in the 37 pin dsub will that take care of the problem? I am thinking there is wear at the pin-socket junction. Is there something else I should look at? I have had no problems with the tray and the radio prior to this, so I am looking for some one who has solved the problem before. The plane and radio have 902 hours of use.

I also had transmission problems recently which were resolved by switching from the Bose Lemo plug to the standard jacks and Dave Clarks. I have since switched back and everything is working normally again.

Sheldon Olesen

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: GNS 480 problems Reply with quote

If it works on the bench - I would say there's nothing wrong with the 480.
The pins in the tray would be my next investigation point. Make sure you have good power and ground in the tray!

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

skywagon185(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: GNS 480 problems Reply with quote

Sheldon,
If I recall the 480 was not a Garmin product but, is owned by Garmin so I what I will explain is really aimed at GNS430's but, maybe also the 480.
The 430 chassis box is/was very sensitive when installed a bit too far back in the aircraft panel.  And, what has happened, is when the 430 is slid into the chassis, some of the pins would not make 100% contact with the chassis pin sockets.
Fix is to loosen the chassis mounting screws and pull it forward such that it's forward edge is even with the instrument panel surface.  And, thus, the 430 can now slide a bit further back into chassis and the failing pins will make contact with the chassis socket pin receivers.
Dave

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:53 AM saolesen <saolesen(at)sirentel.net (saolesen(at)sirentel.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: saolesen <saolesen(at)sirentel.net (saolesen(at)sirentel.net)>

My GNS 480 won’t turn on.  I’ve checked the wiring to the radio tray and there is the proper voltage at the proper pins.  I also attached the 480 to a bench power supply and it turned on just fine.  Sliding the radio back in the tray and turning it on there was nothing.  So my question is:  If I replace the female power and ground pins in the 37 pin dsub will that take care of the problem?  I am thinking there is wear at the pin-socket junction.  Is there something else I should look at?  I have had no problems with the tray and the radio prior to this, so I am looking for some one who has solved the problem before.  The plane and radio have 902 hours of use.

I also had transmission problems recently which were resolved by switching from the Bose Lemo plug to the standard jacks and Dave Clarks.  I have since switched back and everything is working normally again. 

Sheldon Olesen

Sent from my iPad

===========
-
Electric-List" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
lank" rel="noreferrer">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: GNS 480 problems Reply with quote

What Dave said, and also check both the pins and their mating socket terminals, to be sure none have backed out of the housing slightly. I really like subD connectors, but failure to fully seat and pins/sockets backing out slightly (often almost undetectable with the naked eye) can both cause problems. I had a similar problem with an old Narco 810, a couple of decades ago.

Charlie

On 8/26/2019 2:58 PM, skywagon185guy . wrote:

Quote:
Sheldon,
If I recall the 480 was not a Garmin product but, is owned by Garmin so I what I will explain is really aimed at GNS430's but, maybe also the 480.
The 430 chassis box is/was very sensitive when installed a bit too far back in the aircraft panel.  And, what has happened, is when the 430 is slid into the chassis, some of the pins would not make 100% contact with the chassis pin sockets.
Fix is to loosen the chassis mounting screws and pull it forward such that it's forward edge is even with the instrument panel surface.  And, thus, the 430 can now slide a bit further back into chassis and the failing pins will make contact with the chassis socket pin receivers.
Dave

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:53 AM saolesen <saolesen(at)sirentel.net (saolesen(at)sirentel.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: saolesen <saolesen(at)sirentel.net (saolesen(at)sirentel.net)>

My GNS 480 won’t turn on.  I’ve checked the wiring to the radio tray and there is the proper voltage at the proper pins.  I also attached the 480 to a bench power supply and it turned on just fine.  Sliding the radio back in the tray and turning it on there was nothing.  So my question is:  If I replace the female power and ground pins in the 37 pin dsub will that take care of the problem?  I am thinking there is wear at the pin-socket junction.  Is there something else I should look at?  I have had no problems with the tray and the radio prior to this, so I am looking for some one who has solved the problem before.  The plane and radio have 902 hours of use.

I also had transmission problems recently which were resolved by switching from the Bose Lemo plug to the standard jacks and Dave Clarks.  I have since switched back and everything is working normally again. 

Sheldon Olesen

Sent from my iPad

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

saolesen(at)sirentel.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: GNS 480 problems Reply with quote

Thanks Dave and Charlie. I had a chance to go to the hangar briefly, so I checked the where the tray is placed. It is actually slightly proud on one side and even on the other. I noticed the panel screw was slightly loose so I tightened it , but that didn’t fix the problem. I’ll have more time tomorrow so I’ll check out the pin depth placement. I had the back of the tray off to get a pin in for the position source for the ADS-B out transponder. That may have have moved the pins adversely.

Thanks again!

Sheldon Olesen

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2019, at 1:53 PM, saolesen <saolesen(at)sirentel.net> wrote:

My GNS 480 won’t turn on. I’ve checked the wiring to the radio tray and there is the proper voltage at the proper pins. I also attached the 480 to a bench power supply and it turned on just fine. Sliding the radio back in the tray and turning it on there was nothing. So my question is: If I replace the female power and ground pins in the 37 pin dsub will that take care of the problem? I am thinking there is wear at the pin-socket junction. Is there something else I should look at? I have had no problems with the tray and the radio prior to this, so I am looking for some one who has solved the problem before. The plane and radio have 902 hours of use.

I also had transmission problems recently which were resolved by switching from the Bose Lemo plug to the standard jacks and Dave Clarks. I have since switched back and everything is working normally again.

Sheldon Olesen

Sent from my iPad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: