Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvel Mystery oil
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clouddog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Marvel Mystery oil Reply with quote

MMO, the saga continues........

I was introduced to MMO  over 35 years ago. A friend of mine owned a small airport and had a small fleet of Cubs, Luscombs,  Taylor Craft and an Apache. They used MMO religously, did their own maintenance and engine teardowns. They absolutely  swore by it.
I had a IO520 on my Debonair with 83 hours when I bought the aircraft. At every 50 hour oil change I put in a quart of MMO. Years later with 850 hours on the engine, I sold the aircraft. I got a call from the new owner during the next annual and his mechanic after the boreroscope inspection asked what I had done to the engine. Bottom line, the mechanic stated it was the cleanest engine he had ever seen with that number of hours and  whatever or however I treated that engine, the new owner should continue. All I can say is MMO!
Fast forward to present day. I use MMO in my gas  and during my oil change. Since we burn a quart an hour, I toss another one in 5 hours before my next oil change.
Someone said we are wasting money using MMO. We own aircraft. I don't think a quart of MMO is breaking the bank because the bank is always broke! Great thing, it's a choice and personally I choose MMO.
SAFE AND HAPPY FLYING
Greg
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019, 16:49 motoadve <motoadve(at)racsa.co.cr (motoadve(at)racsa.co.cr)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "motoadve" <motoadve(at)racsa.co.cr (motoadve(at)racsa.co.cr)>

threein60 wrote:
> I use it all n both oil and gas.  No valve or plug carbon issues.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>
> >  On Jul 30, 2019, at 1:12 PM, motoadve  wrote:
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >  Some like it some say its a waste.
> >  Never tried it.
> > 
> >  Bought some, for the ones who use it.
> >  How much to put in the oil, how much to put in the fuel?
> > 
> >  What are the benefits?
> >  Cons? Apart from money wasted? Very Happy
> > 
> >  --------
> >  www.Backcountry182.com
> >  Cessna 182 P
> >  CJ -6
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >  Read this topic online here:
> > 
> >  http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=490595#490595
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >
>

How much Mistery oil you put on your fuel and how much on your oil?

--------
www.Backcountry182.com
Cessna 182 P
CJ -6

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=490601#490601

===========
List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
stephen.hayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Marvel Mystery oil Reply with quote

markbitterlich(at)embarqm wrote:
...immediately
draining it all out and adding brand new clean oil. You're draining all
that bad crap out of the engine.

Doing this the first time with an engine that has lots and lots of hours on
it should be approached with caution. Kind of like adding High Thermal
Stability oil to a turbine for the first time.
--

As I've written here before, this is my issue/concern. With my sortof unknown but seems to be first run based on case stamp, well-pickled from China, Housai (no logbooks), I had lots of carbon clog the sump screen about 20 hours into first flying (I installed a oil filter that had almost NO carbon flecks, and the other screens were clear). Yes, I know now that I should have been watching that sump screen like a hawk - it is easy to check/clean just about anytime.

For the last 100 hours, I've checked the sump screen every 10-15 hours, and started out with about 1 teaspoon of carbon, now down to about 1/2 teaspoon. And before anyone gets bent about the photo - that is less than 1/2 teaspoon at the bottom of a 100 micron paint filter. Smile

I am reluctant to add MMO, in case it shakes loose even more carbon, "quickly". But, before this next oil change, I will probably add a couple quarts and fly for 1-2 hours. Boroscopes of valves, etc., all look good, btw.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

IMG_20190510_182250.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  463.24 KB
 Viewed:  2599 Time(s)

IMG_20190510_182250.jpg

http://selfsynchronize.com/hayne/plane/cj6.asp
Viperdoc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Marvel Mystery oil Reply with quote

Marvel Mystery Oil logo
Marvel Mystery Oil is a product of the Marvel Oil Company, founded by Burt Pierce.[1] It is used as a fuel additive, oil additive, corrosion inhibitor, penetrating oil, and transmission leak stopper and seal relubricator.

It is composed primarily of petroleum distillates, including mineral oil (60-100%), mineral spirits {10-30%}, tricresyl phosphate (an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants, 0.1-1.0%), ortho dichlorobenzene (a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%), and para dichlorobenzene (a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%).

Contents
Origin
Edit

After World War I, the Marvel Carburetor Company (Marvel-Schebler Carburetors since 1928) produced carburetors for automobiles and aircraft. Some of these encountered problems with clogged jets, prompting Pierce to formulate a blend of chemicals and petroleum to clean and maintain them. Marvel claims the oil creates a top ring seal producing higher compression, preventing blow-by on power strokes, resulting in more power.[1] Supporting evidence is not provided.

The Marvel Oil Company was initially based in Chicago, moved to New York in 1941 and was purchased by Turtle Wax Inc. in 1999, returning to Chicago.[1]

According to the company, the name Mystery Oil comes from Pierce's answer to the question, "what kind of oil is this?" to which Pierce would respond, "It's a mystery!"[1]

Composition
Edit

According to the company's 2015 safety data sheet Marvel Mystery Oil is composed of:[2]

Petroleum Distillates (Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic) also known as mineral oil, 60-100%[2]
Petroleum Distillates (Stoddard Solvent) also known as white spirit, 10-30%[2]
Tricresyl phosphate, an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants 0.1-1.0%[2]
Ortho Dichlorobenzene, a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%[2]
Para Dichlorobenzene, a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%[2]
In an NTSB post aircraft accident investigation published in 2003, it was reported that Marvel Mystery Oil was composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.[3], but failed to mention any other trace chemical components.

Claims
Edit

Marvel Mystery Oil marketing literature claims benefits which include improved lubricating qualities, primarily cleaning and friction reduction capabilities. The product has previously been marketed as a fuel additive in all kinds of engines, including aircraft (although the company no longer markets it for the latter application on their website). It has also been used as an oil additive, corrosion inhibitor, penetrating oil, and in automatic transmissions as a leak stopper and seal relubricator.[4]Supporting evidence for claimed benefits is not provided by the manufacturer.

The lubricant was used as a fuel additive in a Lycoming aircraft engine which was specifically cautioned against oil additives (Service Instruction No. 1014M, which also stated its use would void the warranty) which suffered catastrophic damage during take-off. The NTSB listed the probable cause of the accident as "The improper use of [a] fuel additive which resulted in a power loss."[3][5]

Auto manufacturers Ford[6] and GM[7] recommend against using engine oil additives, stating they are unnecessary in their contemporary engine designs and may void their warranties.

Ortho dichlorobenzene is the agent that binds the carbon deposited on the valve guides.

I have used it since 2001 in my YAKs. Without it the engine does run rougher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: