Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repeated alternator failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argonaut36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Repeated alternator failure Reply with quote

The alternator in my Lycoming AEIO-360 engine is a Kelly Aerospace ALY 8520 formerly known as ALY 8420. The alternator fails every 80-100 hours. Replacing the brushes and the brush holder (P/N 08-13833) brings back the alternator to work.
The alternator does not fail suddenly. There is a period of time prior to each failure during which the alternator works intermittently, sometimes it is on and sometimes is off. Then it stops working completely.
On the removed brushes there is a black fluid (engine oil plus brush dust?). I don’t know up to what extent this is normal.
Any advice on how to proceed to fix this problem permanently?
Thanks

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Repeated alternator failure Reply with quote

Argonaut,

I don't know much about alternators but I have never seen one that needs
(or is supposed to have) any fluid inside, including motor oil. I would
look for, and eliminate, the engine oil leak and see if that preserves your
alternator.

Now I'm going to sit back and see if my guess aligns with what the truly
knowledgeable people suggest.

Cheers,
-- Art Z.
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 10:59 PM Argonaut36 <fmlibrino(at)msn.com> wrote:

[quote]

The alternator in my Lycoming AEIO-360 engine is a Kelly Aerospace ALY
8520 formerly known as ALY 8420. The alternator fails every 80-100 hours

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Repeated alternator failure Reply with quote

At 10:43 PM 7/30/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Argonaut36" <fmlibrino(at)msn.com>

The alternator in my Lycoming AEIO-360 engine is a Kelly Aerospace ALY 8520 formerly known as ALY 8420. The alternator fails every 80-100 hours. Replacing the brushes and the brush holder (P/N 08-13833) brings back the alternator to work.
The alternator does not fail suddenly. There is a period of time prior to each failure during which the alternator works intermittently, sometimes it is on and sometimes is off. Then it stops working completely.
On the removed brushes there is a black fluid (engine oil plus brush dust?). I don’t know up to what extent this is normal.
Thanks

I there are no obvious sources of oil
external to the alternator (engine
leaks) then the next best guess i
the rear alternator bearing. These
are normally sealed and factory loaded
with the appropriate grease. If the
seal is leaking, the grease can migrate
out and onto the slip rings.

Bearings come in all manner of pedigree
but verifying seal quality and sometimes
type of grease can be problematic. Next
time you replace brushes, replace the
bearing too . . . and let us know how
it goes.

Bob . . .

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Repeated alternator failure Reply with quote

At 10:43 PM 7/30/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Argonaut36" <fmlibrino(at)msn.com>

Thanks

I there are no obvious sources of oil
external to the alternator (engine
leaks) then the next best guess i
the rear alternator bearing. These
are normally sealed and factory loaded
with the appropriate grease. If the
seal is leaking, the grease can migrate
out and onto the slip rings.

Bearings come in all manner of pedigree
but verifying seal quality and sometimes
type of grease can be problematic. Next
time you replace brushes, replace the
bearing too . . . and let us know how
it goes.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: