Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EGT, CHT wires and alternator B-lead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvtach

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: EGT, CHT wires and alternator B-lead Reply with quote

Hello all-

I am in the final throes of wiring my RV-7A and one of the last tasks is to route the CHT and EGT leads from the engine to the firewall. My questions is- how much clearance, if any, do I need to provide between these temperature wires and the alternator B-lead?

I made a really neat, out of the way, bundle with CHT and EGT wires and the B-lead cable (4 AWG welding cable) and then began to wonder what "noise" i might get in my engine monitor. Way easier and less frustrating to correct now if needed than later but I can't find any guidance in the Connection book or in the Matronics archives.

Thank you to everyone on this list. I really appreciate all the education I've gotten from this group over the years.

-Jim

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

web(at)79ft.net

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: EGT, CHT wires and alternator B-lead Reply with quote

... I know this ain't helping _much_ but when I installed a CGR30P on my Cheetah, I did not notice the note to _not_ run probes along the ignition wires, and did so. You can look at the pictures here: http://79ft.net/entries/misccheetah-cgr-30/. No problems. I asked EI and they said "boo, but keep it - it worked for years for you after all". 

On my current plane with Gem G2; I think the wires were ran along the B-lead. I'll double check later today. Regardless, I haven't heard of issues from the gentleman who installed it and flown with it for years. I will confirm where the wires run later tonight and reply along with a pic or three. 

Fedor 'Fidot' Fomichev. 
Chickenhouse Charger
http://79ft.net

----

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: EGT, CHT wires and alternator B-lead Reply with quote

At 11:13 PM 5/7/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "rvtach" <rvtach(at)msn.com>

Hello all-

I am in the final throes of wiring my RV-7A and one of the last tasks is to route the CHT and EGT leads from the engine to the firewall. My questions is- how much clearance, if any, do I need to provide between these temperature wires and the alternator B-lead?

None. This presumes that there are no
installation instructions for your instrumentation
recommending such separation. If instructions DO
call for separation, I would see if you can get
you money back on it and purchase a system
designed to work in aircraft (or any other
vehicle for that matter!).

Quote:
I made a really neat, out of the way, bundle with CHT and EGT wires and the B-lead cable (4 AWG welding cable) and then began to wonder what "noise" i might get in my engine monitor. Way easier and less frustrating to correct now if needed than later but I can't find any guidance in the Connection book or in the Matronics archives.

Thank you to everyone on this list. I really appreciate all the education I've gotten from this group over the years.

I'm pleased that you've benefited from
your participation here . . . spread the
word . . . share your own knowledge and
help promote the List. Nothing suppresses
the value of knowledge more than a failure
to skillfully exploit it.

Bob . . .

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: EGT, CHT wires and alternator B-lead Reply with quote

At 02:06 PM 5/8/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
... I know this ain't helping _much_ but when I installed a CGR30P on my Cheetah, I did not notice the note to _not_ run probes along the ignition wires, and did so. You can look at the pictures here: http://79ft.net/entries/misccheetah-cgr-30/. No problems. I asked EI and they said "boo, but keep it - it worked for years for you after all".Â

On my current plane with Gem G2; I think the wires were ran along the B-lead. I'll double check later today. Regardless, I haven't heard of issues from the gentleman who installed it and flown with it for years. I will confirm where the wires run later tonight and reply along with a pic or three.Â
Quote:

Actually a big help. The dreaded stresses
conducted along such wires are really easy
to accommodate in the design of engine
instrumentation . . . because if they
couple from one wire to another, the
coupling is weak. Further the electro-
magnetic spectrum of such noises are
far outside the signals of interest
coming in from engine sensors. Standing
them off with a bit of simple filtering
is a trivial task.

Your experience shared supports this
notion.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: