Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator without internal regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daren263(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Alternator without internal regulator Reply with quote

New to the forum.  My alternator is on the blink and needs to be replaced.  I read Aero Electric and want to go with an alternator with external regulator.  I would be adding an OV module.  From my understanding if the alternator is taken off line in flight by the OV module you can destroy the alternator, but maybe it doesn't matter since the regulator failed and the alternator needs to be replaced anyways.  I wouldn't be opposed to using an internal regulator if someone can explain.  

If I can get a reliable alternator and add the ext. regulator and OV protection and spend $200, why pay $600 for an aircraft alternator?  I know most alternators have internal regulators but don't know any that have external.  Google search for alternators isn't very good plus I wouldn't know what size would fit.  Also I saw Aircraft Spruce sells B&C OV modules for $50 and I've seen others for much less, $10, but don't know if it's an equal to B&C OV module?
So if someone can direct me to an alternator, external regulator and OV module that would be great.  50A alternator would be plenty.  I don't know if there is a 50 or 60A on there now but there is a 35A breaker and I've never had it pop until recently when the alternator acted up.
Thanks,
Daren

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
vanceksh(at)xcelco.on.ca

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Alternator without internal regulator Reply with quote

Hi Daren,
The builder used a nippondenso, 14684 55 amp with internal reg. on my rv. I replaced it from parts source here in canada with a 14824 couple of years ago for not much over $100 canadian. I believe autozone has them but under the old 14684 number. I think they originally were for a 87 suzuki.

I can't comment as to whether or not it would fit your aircraft, but if you have the old one off you could take it to the store and compare with the new one.

I have over 1400 hours on aircraft, no electrical problems.....but with heat bearings and brushes may need to be done every 500-1000 hours. Hope this helps.
Gary

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 14:59, Daren Busciglio <daren263(at)gmail.com (daren263(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
New to the forum.  My alternator is on the blink and needs to be replaced.  I read Aero Electric and want to go with an alternator with external regulator.  I would be adding an OV module.  From my understanding if the alternator is taken off line in flight by the OV module you can destroy the alternator, but maybe it doesn't matter since the regulator failed and the alternator needs to be replaced anyways.  I wouldn't be opposed to using an internal regulator if someone can explain.  

If I can get a reliable alternator and add the ext. regulator and OV protection and spend $200, why pay $600 for an aircraft alternator?  I know most alternators have internal regulators but don't know any that have external.  Google search for alternators isn't very good plus I wouldn't know what size would fit.  Also I saw Aircraft Spruce sells B&C OV modules for $50 and I've seen others for much less, $10, but don't know if it's an equal to B&C OV module?
So if someone can direct me to an alternator, external regulator and OV module that would be great.  50A alternator would be plenty.  I don't know if there is a 50 or 60A on there now but there is a 35A breaker and I've never had it pop until recently when the alternator acted up.
Thanks,
Daren

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: