Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

metric threaded switches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnoffs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

hi all,
i am looking for a momentary push button switch to use in a panel hole meant for a breaker. 1/4'' and 1/2'' switches are common but i thought if there is a source for switches calling for metric sized holes i might find something.
mouser and digikey are kind of daunting with 200,000 choices . i don't know how to sort for barrel size if there was such a thing.
thanks for any help. any sources would be appreciated.
bob noffs

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

At 06:10 AM 4/19/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bobnoffs" <icubob(at)gmail.com>

hi all,
i am looking for a momentary push button switch to use in a panel hole meant for a breaker. 1/4' and 1/2' switches are common but i thought if there is a source for switches calling for metric sized holes i might find something.
mouser and digikey are kind of daunting with 200,000 choices . i don't know how to sort for barrel size if there was such a thing.

How much current? How thick the panel?
If a 1/4" switch is electrically suitable,
then I'd cut a shoulder washer to keep
it centered in the oversized hole.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

Quote:

What is the diameter of your present
hole?

Bob . . .

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

panel is .062 and current is less than 1 amp. placard is already cut to surround 6 holes so i would rather not overlay a washer on another overlay. bob noffs
On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 11:41 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 06:10 AM 4/19/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bobnoffs" <icubob(at)gmail.com (icubob(at)gmail.com)>

hi all,
 i am looking for a momentary push button switch to use in a panel hole meant for a breaker. 1/4' and 1/2' switches are common but i thought if there is a source for switches calling for metric sized holes i might find something.

Bob . . .

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

What is the diameter of the existing hole that you intend to mount a switch in?

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

Bob,
Have you thought about simply up-sizing the hole to fit the push button switch that you want to install?

-- Art Z.
On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 6:24 AM bobnoffs <icubob(at)gmail.com (icubob(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bobnoffs" <icubob(at)gmail.com (icubob(at)gmail.com)>

hi all,
 bob noffs

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"Love wins. Love always wins." Morrie Schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

At 11:56 AM 4/19/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
panel is .062 and current is less than 1 amp. placard is already cut to surround 6 holes so i would rather not overlay a washer on another overlay.
bob noffs

The shoulder washer would be bonded on the back side,
the 'bushing in the hole would be flush with
the front surface. I think I've got a 1/4-40
tap around here somewhere. It would be about
a 10m job on the lathe . . .

Do you care about the size of the button? Push
buttons with 1/4" barrels are pretty small.

[img]cid:.0[/img]

C&K 8121SHZGE SWITCH PUSHBUTTON SPDT 1A 120V

Bob . . .

a15bc70.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.62 KB
 Viewed:  11205 Time(s)

a15bc70.jpg

hairy_kiwi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Without knowing the exact panel hole size for the CB (or the CB part number) you wish to replace with a switch, this is a bit of a stab in the dark...

Short answer
I can recommend a couple of APEM series pushbutton switches I used in an aircraft rewire job last year:
- APEM IM series
https://www.apem.com/us/im-series-13.html
RS Stock No. 864-4475 | Mfr. Part No. IMR7Z422104UL
12.0mm (0.472”) mounting bushing.
These have a really nice tactile and audible feedback click - ideal for PTT switches. They’re rated IP67 (front seal) and designed “for use in harsh, noisy environments, including those with vibration”. Additionally, the terminals can either accept 2.8mm (0.11”) spade receptacle terminals, such as TE 165565-1, or they can be soldered.

- APEM 8000 series
https://www.apem.com/us/8000-series-354.html
RS Stock No. 103-5732 | Mfr Part No. 8632A
Either 6.35mm (1/4”) or 10.9mm (15/32”) mounting bushing sizes. The actuation force is higher than the IM series and more of a snap-clunk than a click. You’ll probably also want a snap on pushbutton top for this switch - available in various colours and typically in bags of 5.
Longer answer
Neither of the above suggestions are possibly exactly what you’re looking for, so:
Visit the APEM website - other manufacturers offer similar, but I like the build quality and features available in APEM products.
In the parametric search ‘CONFIGURATOR’, select:
Actuator: Pushbutton,
Bushing dimensions: acceptable panel hole sizes, min-thru-max inclusive,
Leave all the other options blank, at least initially.

Then, from the data sheets of those product ranges you find able to meet your minimum requirements AND superficially/functionally appealing, see if your other required/desirable features are available as options.
You’ll discover most switches have features that can be tailored to a particular requirement by tweaking the part number. After that, it’s a matter of plugging your newly determined part number into the search bar on your preferred supplier’s website. Better still, plug it into Octopart.com to see if any of the global suppliers stock it - and the smallest MOQ in which it’s actually available for purchase. If that process turns up nothing, try using the basic part number (i.e. the part number describing the highest level features, without all the suffix options, eg APEM 8632) to try to discover if what you seek is actually available to buy in unit quantities. Rinse and repeat.

Sourcing parts is, by its nature a tedious and often disappointing process. Having not done any aircraft wiring work for some years, for last year’s project I ended up ordering a number of styles and types of switches in order to find the most suitable and appealing - from both ease of installation and end use perspectives. For ease of installation while ensuring excellent wire strain relief, I particularly like switch / LED indicator / CB products designed to accept TE PIDG FASTON terminals, either in the 0.25” or 0.11” widths.

The suppliers’ parametric search engines can indeed be daunting and give less than useful, or downright erroneous results - especially with the vast number of options available within a product range. Nevertheless, they can be a useful starting point. From there, I’d download the manufacturer’s data sheet, rinse and repeat - as above.

Tell us your current panel hole size and the max size you’d consider enlarging it to, and I or others might be able to give better recommendations.

Hamish
Ledbury, UK

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

size of the button doesn't matter.it is used to reset an ovm if it trips. probably only used for testing. if ovm trips in the air i think i wouldn't be touching anything if the prop is still turning and i would be wanting a runway! bob noffs
On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:34 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 11:56 AM 4/19/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
panel is .062 and current is less than 1 amp. placard is already cut to surround 6 holes so i would rather not overlay a washer on another overlay.
 bob noffs

The shoulder washer would be bonded on the back side,
 the 'bushing in the hole would be flush with
 the front surface. I think I've got a 1/4-40
 tap around here somewhere. It would be about
 a 10m job on the lathe . . .

Do you care about the size of the button? Push
 buttons with 1/4" barrels are pretty small.

[img]cid:16a40f561c678b2ec121[/img]

C&K 8121SHZGE SWITCH PUSHBUTTON SPDT 1A 120V

Bob . . .

a15bc70.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.62 KB
 Viewed:  11192 Time(s)

a15bc70.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

At 12:38 PM 4/21/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
size of the button doesn't matter.it is used to reset an ovm if it trips. probably only used for testing. if ovm trips in the air i think i wouldn't be touching anything if the prop is still turning and i would be wanting a runway!

Alternator failure, while vexing, should
NOT be an emergency. Your battery should
be a reliable source of energy for
comfortable arrival with the earth.

But okay, what size is your existing
hole and what is the total panel
thickness (.062 plus overlay)?

Bob . . .

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

hi bob, panel is .062. overlay is .02 and panel hole is .433. while an alternator failure would  not be an emergency for me the thought of it with this honda engine gets my attention more than it would with the jabiru, my last engine. i do have 2 batteries independent of each other, 2 fuel pumps, and  2 ecu's but a failed alternator would really change my priorities. not having  ov protection on the output of the alternator  could make it an emergency if the ''impossible'' did happen. i have gotten a lot of good input from this forum about this.
On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 4:00 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 12:38 PM 4/21/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
size of the button doesn't matter.it is used to reset an ovm if it trips. probably only used for testing. if ovm trips in the air i think i wouldn't be touching anything if the prop is still turning and i would be wanting a runway!

Alternator failure, while vexing, should
  NOT be an emergency. Your battery should
  be a reliable source of energy for
  comfortable arrival with the earth.

But okay, what size is your existing
  hole and what is the total panel
  thickness (.062 plus overlay)?

Bob . . .

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

Digikey has a search function with one of the parameters being mounting hole diameter. The hole in your panel is 11mm. I could not find a push button switch with a diameter less than 11mm. But there are several with a diameter between 11.8 and 12mm. The panel hole would need to be enlarged 1mm.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/switches/pushbutton-switches/199?FV=c3c00ef%2Cc3c00f7%2Cc3c0107%2Cc3c013d%2Cc3c017e%2Cc3c0051%2Cffe000c7&quantity=0&ColumnSort=783&page=3&stock=1&pageSize=25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

At 08:39 PM 4/21/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
hi bob, panel is .062. overlay is .02 and panel hole is .433.

Yeah, the miniature breakers are 7/16-32 thread.

Here's what I was trying to describe:

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20190421225936.05eb0db8(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img]

I think I've got some alum rod stock
and a 1/4-40 tap around here. Could
probably cut this out for you in the
not too distant future.

The C&K push button would
thread in from the back with enough
protrusion to install one of the nuts.

You could probably assemble the washer
and nut onto the switch and then bond
it into place.

Bob . . .

cb17724.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.99 KB
 Viewed:  11178 Time(s)

cb17724.jpg

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

hi bob, i  appreciate your offer but it just isn't worth your time and energy to do all this. the panel isn't mounted and it will take me a minute to ream/drill the panel and overlay to a larger diameter to accommodate an existing switch. wasn't my first choice but it will be fine.
 thank you for the offer.
 bob noffs
On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:43 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 08:39 PM 4/21/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
hi bob, panel is .062. overlay is .02 and panel hole is .433.

Yeah, the miniature breakers are 7/16-32 thread.

Here's what I was trying to describe:

[img]cid:16a454d62c180c4a6c71[/img]

I think I've got some alum rod stock
  and a 1/4-40 tap around here. Could
  probably cut this out for you in the
  not too distant future.

The C&K push button would
  thread in from the back with enough
  protrusion to install one of the nuts.

You could probably assemble the washer
  and nut onto the switch and then bond
  it into place.

Bob . . .

cb17724.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.99 KB
 Viewed:  11169 Time(s)

cb17724.jpg

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: metric threaded switches Reply with quote

thanks hamish, i will look into it. looking at digikey or mouser i always get the feeling i better have the afternoon free.
 bob noffs
On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:56 AM hairy_kiwi <hamish.mead(at)gmail.com (hamish.mead(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "hairy_kiwi" <hamish.mead(at)gmail.com (hamish.mead(at)gmail.com)>

Hi Bob,

Without knowing the exact panel hole size for the CB (or the CB part number) you wish to replace with a switch, this is a bit of a stab in the dark...

Short answer
I can recommend a couple of APEM series pushbutton switches I used in an aircraft rewire job last year:
- APEM IM series
https://www.apem.com/us/im-series-13.html
RS Stock No. 864-4475 | Mfr. Part No. IMR7Z422104UL
12.0mm (0.472”) mounting bushing.
These have a really nice tactile and audible feedback click - ideal for PTT switches. They’re rated IP67 (front seal) and designed “for use in harsh, noisy environments, including those with vibration”. Additionally, the terminals can either accept 2.8mm (0.11”) spade receptacle terminals, such as TE 165565-1, or they can be soldered.

- APEM 8000 series
https://www.apem.com/us/8000-series-354.html
RS Stock No. 103-5732 | Mfr Part No. 8632A
Either 6.35mm (1/4”) or 10.9mm (15/32”) mounting bushing sizes. The actuation force is higher than the IM series and more of a snap-clunk than a click. You’ll probably also want a snap on pushbutton top for this switch - available in various colours and typically in bags of 5.

Longer answer
Neither of the above suggestions are possibly exactly what you’re looking for, so:
Visit the APEM website - other manufacturers offer similar, but I like the build quality and features available in APEM products.
In the parametric search ‘CONFIGURATOR’, select:
Actuator: Pushbutton,
Bushing dimensions: acceptable panel hole sizes, min-thru-max inclusive,
Leave all the other options blank, at least initially.

Then, from the data sheets of those product ranges you find able to meet your minimum requirements AND superficially/functionally appealing, see if your other required/desirable features are available as options.
You’ll discover most switches have features that can be tailored to a particular requirement by tweaking the part number. After that, it’s a matter of plugging your newly determined part number into the search bar on your preferred supplier’s website. Better still, plug it into Octopart.com to see if any of the global suppliers stock it - and the smallest MOQ in which it’s actually available for purchase. If that process turns up nothing, try using the basic part number (i.e. the part number describing the highest level features, without all the suffix options, eg APEM 8632) to try to discover if what you seek is actually available to buy in unit quantities. Rinse and repeat.

Sourcing parts is, by its nature a tedious and often disappointing process. Having not done any aircraft wiring work for some years, for last year’s project I ended up ordering a number of styles and types of switches in order to find the most suitable and appealing - from both ease of installation and end use perspectives. For ease of installation while ensuring excellent wire strain relief, I particularly like switch / LED indicator / CB products designed to accept TE PIDG FASTON terminals, either in the 0.25” or 0.11” widths.

The suppliers’ parametric search engines can indeed be daunting and give less than useful, or downright erroneous results - especially with the vast number of options available within a product range. Nevertheless, they can be a useful starting point. From there, I’d download the manufacturer’s data sheet, rinse and repeat - as above.

Tell us your current panel hole size and the max size you’d consider enlarging it to, and I or others might be able to give better recommendations.

Hamish
Ledbury, UK

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=488845#488845

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: