Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Kolb History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhauck36(at)outlook.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: More Kolb History Reply with quote

I flew my Firestar from Alabama to OSH 1989 via Homer Kolb's in PA, Bert Howland's, Maryland, NY, The Flight Farm, Monterey, NY, Niagara Falls, Sault St Marie, Canada, down the west side of Lake Michigan to OSH. Dick Rahill and I had a lot of fun flying at OSH. We had been flying the UL traffic pattern a while trying to outdo each other until the last landing. We were landing to the south. In 1989 we had to make a hard right hook, right before touchdown, to land. Dick and I were making that turn tighter and tighter. This photo shows Dick flying the Kolb Factory Firestar, the 1985 Oshkosh Grand Champion UL just prior to it being totaled. I had just landed, pulled off the airstrip, turned around and caught Dick in full stall just prior to impact. He rolled it up in a ball. Homer kept the wreckage for many, many years before he rebuilt it. I had flown this Firestar at Sun and Fun 1985 before they took it to OSH. The last trip to PA to visit Homer I got to fly the FS with a DC 503. It was a high performer and fun to fly. Rest in peace, Homer and Clara.

john h
Titus, Alabama

[img]cid:D0727DC791F79E4B83369C689D67E198(at)eop-nam02.prod.protection.outlook.com[/img]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Kolb_OSH_UL_Grand_Champ_1985_(1989)-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.84 KB
 Viewed:  5335 Time(s)

Kolb_OSH_UL_Grand_Champ_1985_(1989)-1.jpg

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: More Kolb History Reply with quote

John, did that airplane have a normal gap seal? Just looking at the picture it is hard to see it.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
johngilpin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: More Kolb History Reply with quote

This story just reminds us that we are still waiting for JH's history of his adventures with Kolb. We'd really like to read it an have it recorded. It's aviation history that'll never be repeated......
JG

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: More Kolb History Reply with quote

Richard/Kolbers:

I don't remember for sure. I imagine it was the standard white nylon gap
seal that came with the FS kits at the time.

You are referring to the "center section" I am assuming.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: More Kolb History Reply with quote

Hi John G/Kolbers:

You are absolutely right, John G.  I don't think it will be repeated.  As I look back 35 years ago, this month, when I bought my first Kolb kit, every day was a new day of building, modifying, experimenting, and making mistakes.  The cross country flights were virgin territory everywhere I went.  Most important the lasting friendships from people I met along the way.  Most of the people I know, I met through these little airplanes.

I have one more adventure to get under my belt before I settle down.  Next month I turn 80.  I plan to celebrate my 80th year by cruising the Great Loop https://www.greatloop.org/ .  It is an approximately 6,000 mile route along the waterways of the Tombigbee and Mobile Rivers, Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic Coast, Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lakes Erie, Huron, and Michigan, the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee Rivers, and finally the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway back to Demopolis, Alabama, where I plan to start my trip.  I'm also going to try to visit Fort Hamilton, where John Wilkes Booth was imprisoned, on the Dry Tortugas, 75 miles out of Key West, Florida, while I am in that area.  Entire cruise should take about 2 to 3 months depending on the situation.  I do not have a schedule to follow or dead lines to meet.  I may make this an annual affair until I get too old to enjoy.  Wink

Then I should have time to get started on the Memories of a Retired Army Aviator.  In fact, writing would be a good pass time for the days, maybe weeks, of getting weathered in with nothing to do but polish Grumpy, my 25 foot Rosborough RF-246.  Should have plenty time.  I don't plan on doing too much polishing on Grumpy.

To keep this Kolb oriented, I plan on meeting Marcus Kolb when I am in the Philadelphia, PA, area.  I have a lot of Army and airplane friends that live along this route that I plan to visit.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of JC Gilpin
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 2:00 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: More Kolb History

This story just reminds us that we are still waiting for JH's history of his adventures with Kolb. We'd really like to read it an have it recorded. It's aviation history that'll never be repeated......

JG

Titus, Alabama
lambdinwilliam(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: More Kolb History Reply with quote

You are pretty amazing, John! Hope I am still flying when I hit 80 , much less
planning a trip such as yours!
Best of weather to you,
Lanny Lambdin

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 7, 2019, at 8:46 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi John G/Kolbers:

You are absolutely right, John G.  I don't think it will be repeated. As I look back 35 years ago, this month, when I bought my first Kolb kit, every day was a new day of building, modifying, experimenting, and making mistakes. The cross country flights were virgin territory everywhere I went. Most important the lasting friendships from people I met along the way. Most of the people I know, I met through these little airplanes.

I have one more adventure to get under my belt before I settle down. Next month I turn 80. I plan to celebrate my 80th year by cruising the Great Loop https://www.greatloop.org/ . It is an approximately 6,000 mile route along the waterways of the Tombigbee and Mobile Rivers, Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic Coast, Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lakes Erie, Huron, and Michigan, the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee Rivers, and finally the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway back to Demopolis, Alabama, where I plan to start my trip. I'm also going to try to visit Fort Hamilton, where John Wilkes Booth was imprisoned, on the Dry Tortugas, 75 miles out of Key West, Florida, while I am in that area. Entire cruise should take about 2 to 3 months depending on the situation. I do not have a schedule to follow or dead lines to meet. I may make this an annual affair until I get too old to enjoy. Wink

Then I should have time to get started on the Memories of a Retired Army Aviator. In fact, writing would be a good pass time for the days, maybe weeks, of getting weathered in with nothing to do but polish Grumpy, my 25 foot Rosborough RF-246. Should have plenty time.  I don't plan on doing too much polishing on Grumpy.

To keep this Kolb oriented, I plan on meeting Marcus Kolb when I am in the Philadelphia, PA, area. I have a lot of Army and airplane friends that live along this route that I plan to visit.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of JC Gilpin
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 2:00 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: More Kolb History

JG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: