Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arplast PV50 Propeller Motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Arplast PV50 Propeller Motor Reply with quote

The 6V Electric Motor on the Arplast PV50 propeller on my Europa has failed. Having researched the forums, there has been talk about replacing the 6V Motor with the 12V model, and I am putting together a MOD request to the UK LAA to do this. It seems sensible, as the aircraft provides 12V to the motor. However, I am not well versed in the skills required to compare the two models, so I hope someone here can look at the attached spec sheet for the motors, and let me know if they can find any reason not to do this. Conversely, any reasons why it may be a good idea would help with my submission to the LAA

The current model is 2224U006SR, and I am looking at replacing this with a 2224U012SR

I also wonder why the original Propeller manufacturer (no longer in business) would use a 6V motor on a 12V system (unless the 12V option wasn't available at the time)?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

EN_2224_SR_DFF.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  EN_2224_SR_DFF.pdf
 Filesize:  311.77 KB
 Downloaded:  321 Time(s)

jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Arplast PV50 Propeller Motor Reply with quote

If I read this correctly the 6V item has

nominally:
stall current 3.1A (6 / 1.94)
stall torque 21.2 mNm

as used:
stall current 7.2A (14 / 1.94)
stall torque about 50 mNm

The 6V motor will only survive if used infrequently for short periods.
There is a thermal time constant of 6.8 seconds that is of interest in
this regard.

For the 12V item the nominal values and the proposed 'as used' values
are close together. That leads to good reliability, but also to less
than half the torque Arplast apparently wanted.

So. Most likely the 6V item must be used with care and the 12V item is
probably not up to the task.

IMHO.

Jan de Jong
#461 'back to building'

On 2/9/2019 10:39 AM, BobD wrote:
Quote:

The 6V Electric Motor on the Arplast PV50 propeller on my Europa has failed. Having researched the forums, there has been talk about replacing the 6V Motor with the 12V model, and I am putting together a MOD request to the UK LAA to do this. It seems sensible, as the aircraft provides 12V to the motor. However, I am not well versed in the skills required to compare the two models, so I hope someone here can look at the attached spec sheet for the motors, and let me know if they can find any reason not to do this. Conversely, any reasons why it may be a good idea would help with my submission to the LAA

The current model is 2224U006SR, and I am looking at replacing this with a 2224U012SR

I also wonder why the original Propeller manufacturer (no longer in business) would use a 6V motor on a 12V system (unless the 12V option wasn't available at the time)?

--------
Bob Dawson
Europa XS TG || 912 ULS || G-NHRJ || Dynon Skyview || PilotAware || SmartAss3

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=487487#487487

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/en_2224_sr_dff_206.pdf

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Arplast PV50 Propeller Motor Reply with quote

Bob,

Jan is quite correct to warn that you are unlikely to get the stall torque needed to move the blades under flight loads with a 12v rated version of the fitted 6v motor. When visiting the factory of another VP prop manufacturer in 2000, I asked the same question: "Why are you using a 6v motor in a 12v electrical system" and was told that they needed to overdrive the 6v motor to get the torque necessary, but the duty cycle was low and the back-EMF reduced the current as soon as the motor was running.

A number of things need to operate properly for this 6v motor to be reliable in service, in particular:

- The flight loads must not cause the motor to struggle, so that the high starting current lasts for long enough to overheat the motor - this will depend on airspeed, blade shape, lubrication, etc.

- The controller should not cause the system to hunt, i.e. make frequent movements to adjust the blade pitch, especially in the cruise, which can increase the duty cycle well beyond the design limit. The increased temperature and brush wear will be likely to cause premature failure.

- To avoid hunting in the cruise, switching the controller to manual can help, but you then need to keep a check and make adjustments, or switch back to auto when the flight mode changes.

- To find out if the motor is being overloaded, monitoring the drive current would indicate whether it was struggling whenever the controller was demanding a change in pitch, and the frequency of changes would readily show hunting. The controller may well have an indicator light to show when the motor is running.

In short, I would not recommend changing from the 6v motor without knowing that the replacement would cope with the loads, and in any case not before exploring the operation of the controller and propeller in your aeroplane and the flight profiles you follow.

Good luck!

Mike

--

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Arplast PV50 Propeller Motor Reply with quote

At 05:14 AM 2/9/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Jan de Jong <jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl>

<snip>

Quote:
So. Most likely the 6V item must be used with care and the 12V item is probably not up to the task.

IMHO.

Jan de Jong
#461 'back to building'

Agreed . . .

Bob . . .

jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Arplast PV50 Propeller Motor Reply with quote

Maybe good to mention also that heat production goes with the square of
the current...

BobD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Arplast PV50 Propeller Motor Reply with quote

Jan, Mike, Bob,

Thanks for your input. It appears perceived wisdom is to stick with the 6V motor, so that is what I shall do.

I have spoken to a very helpful lady at the U.K. Distributor (www.ems-limited.co.uk), and I am just waiting to hear about lead times. She did explain that the part number 2224U0006SR of my failed motor is not the original part number provided for the Arplast PV50 and "The 2224U0006SR isn’t a like for like replacement for the 2224U006SR-59, due to the special option “59”, which means that the motor has coils for end/commutator seg secured with special adhesive ". The non-59 has been used by some due to the sometimes lengthy lead time for the -59 (and the price which is £149.33 + VAT, as against "£71.11 + VAT). She says the -59 is likely to have a longer life than the non-59 variant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: