Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere Generator pulses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: John Deere Generator pulses Reply with quote

I'm using the pulses from my John Deere generator for my tack signal into my EIS. Everything is working fine, and I've got a good solid signal. However, I'm not positive that I have it calibrated correctly. If someone with a JD generator that isn't mounted could tell me how many pulses it makes for each revolution, I'd be very thankful.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Generator pulses Reply with quote

What kind of engine?
Is the generator gear driven or belt driven?
How about using an optical tachometer to compare to the EIS?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: John Deere Generator pulses Reply with quote

At 08:27 PM 2/2/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

What kind of engine?
Is the generator gear driven or belt driven?
How about using an optical tachometer to compare to the EIS?

Agreed. There are a number of low-cost,
laser tachs that are quite accurate. Here
is one example.

https://tinyurl.com/y76qb9w6

This one's sensing distance is rated at
500mm (about 20") but it can be a lot
greater. Put strips of aluminum
duct tape on the back side of the blades
and use the tach on a dark ramp. I think
you find that you can read the blade passes
quite well.

You only need to check at one speed . . .
digital sensing is exceedingly linear!
Engine idle would suffice.

Bob . . .

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: John Deere Generator pulses Reply with quote

I have designed and built an optical tach for checking prop speed, using a PIC, a photodiode, and a four digit LED display. You point it out of the window through the prop disc as you fly along It’s the size of (and runs from) a pair of AA batteries. You can use it for checking a drill speed too if you put two pieces of silver tape on the chuck.Total part cost is about $7. It shows what you can start to do with a $1 micro controller.

Do you think the list would like it as a build-it-yourself project? It’s a good intro to SMT soldering.

[img]cid:E93B23F4-3514-4422-87EE-A434156ED0DE(at)home[/img]
On Feb 3, 2019, at 1:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:At 08:27 PM 2/2/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)>What kind of engine?Is the generator gear driven or belt driven?How about using an optical tachometer to compare to the EIS?
Agreed. There are a number of low-cost, laser tachs that are quite accurate. Here is one example.https://tinyurl.com/y76qb9w6 This one's sensing distance is rated at 500mm (about 20") but it can be a lot greater. Put strips of aluminum duct tape on the back side of the blades and use the tach on a dark ramp. I think you find that you can read the blade passes quite well. You only need to check at one speed . . . digital sensing is exceedingly linear! Engine idle would suffice. Bob . . .

IMG_0707.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.33 KB
 Viewed:  3304 Time(s)

IMG_0707.jpeg

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: John Deere Generator pulses Reply with quote

I have the JD generator driven directly by the crank. One crank rotation equals one generator rotation. I found a video of someone repairing the generator, and it is obvious that there are 12 stators. So, six pulses per rev it is.
Doing more tuning today, and got the engine running smoother. I've convinced myself that my tack is correct. Smile

On Sunday, February 3, 2019, 2:34:46 PM EST, Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com> wrote:

I have designed and built an optical tach for checking prop speed, using a PIC, a photodiode, and a four digit LED display. You point it out of the window through the prop disc as you fly along It’s the size of (and runs from) a pair of AA batteries. You can use it for checking a drill speed too if you put two pieces of silver tape on the chuck.Total part cost is about $7. It shows what you can start to do with a $1 micro controller.

Do you think the list would like it as a build-it-yourself project? It’s a good intro to SMT soldering.

[img]cid:Ee0auL4KhsHkG5op84lp[/img]
On Feb 3, 2019, at 1:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:At 08:27 PM 2/2/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)>What kind of engine?Is the generator gear driven or belt driven?How about using an optical tachometer to compare to the EIS?
Agreed. There are a number of low-cost, laser tachs that are quite accurate. Here is one example.https://tinyurl.com/y76qb9w6 This one's sensing distance is rated at 500mm (about 20") but it can be a lot greater. Put strips of aluminum duct tape on the back side of the blades and use the tach on a dark ramp. I think you find that you can read the blade passes quite well. You only need to check at one speed . . . digital sensing is exceedingly linear! Engine idle would suffice. Bob . . .

IMG_0707.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  3300 Time(s)

IMG_0707.jpeg

paulf(at)hughes.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: John Deere Generator pulses Reply with quote

This sounds like a fun DIY project.  I'd like to try it if you don't mind putting together the instructions.  Thanks!

- Paul Fisher

On 2/3/2019 1:23 PM, Alec Myers wrote:

Quote:
I have designed and built an optical tach for checking prop speed, using a PIC, a photodiode, and a four digit LED display. You point it out of the window through the prop disc as you fly along It’s the size of (and runs from) a pair of AA batteries. You can use it for checking a drill speed too if you put two pieces of silver tape on the chuck. Total part cost is about $7. It shows what you can start to do with a $1 micro controller.

[img]cid:part1.CDF367EA.CABBBEA4(at)hughes.net[/img]
On Feb 3, 2019, at 1:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote: At 08:27 PM 2/2/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)> What kind of engine? Is the generator gear driven or belt driven? How about using an optical tachometer to compare to the EIS?
  Agreed. There are a number of low-cost,   laser tachs that are quite accurate. Here   is one example. https://tinyurl.com/y76qb9w6   This one's sensing distance is rated at   500mm (about 20") but it can be a lot   greater.  Put strips of aluminum   duct tape on the back side of the blades   and use the tach on a dark ramp. I think   you find that you can read the blade passes   quite well.   You only need to check at one speed . . .   digital sensing is exceedingly linear!   Engine idle would suffice.   Bob . . .

IMG_0707.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  3287 Time(s)

IMG_0707.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: