Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BendixKing KX-155 repair help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdubner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: BendixKing KX-155 repair help Reply with quote

My ancient KX-155 quit suddenly and it's not just the display -- the unit went totally dead while in use.

Opening it up I found a blown 10A fuse but replacing it did no good. The unit tries to draw enough current to blow a replacement fuse (but I'm limiting the input current to prevent that).

The four large electrolytic capacitors look good (not physically puffed out) and there's no sign of a smoked component.

IMO it's not worth putting more than $100 into it so taking it to an avionics shop is not an attractive option. But perhaps I can repair it myself assuming it doesn't need a part made of Unobtanium (like the display).

I have a connector wiring diagram but no schematic or service manual.

So my question is where do I go from here? Has anyone on this forum poked around in a KX-155 and can offer some suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe,
Independence, OR

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: BendixKing KX-155 repair help Reply with quote

At 06:30 PM 1/29/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "jdubner" <jdubner(at)yahoo.com>

My ancient KX-155 quit suddenly and it's not just the display -- the unit went totally dead while in use.

Opening it up I found a blown 10A fuse but replacing it did no good. The unit tries to draw enough current to blow a replacement fuse (but I'm limiting the input current to prevent that).

The four large electrolytic capacitors look good (not physically puffed out) and there's no sign of a smoked component.

IMO it's not worth putting more than $100 into it so taking it to an avionics shop is not an attractive option. But perhaps I can repair it myself assuming it doesn't need a part made of Unobtanium (like the display).

So my question is where do I go from here? Has anyone on this forum poked around in a KX-155 and can offer some suggestions?

I've not had the pleasure of adding the KX155 service
manual to the archives on AeroElectric.com but there
is a manual for the KX165 . . . have no idea how
much similarity might exist between these two
radios but you a welcome to dowload

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Installation_Data/Bendix-King/KX165A_SM.pdf

and compare with what you have in hand.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: BendixKing KX-155 repair help Reply with quote

eFlightmanuals.com has the manual for the 155 for $104 as a download.

On Jan 30, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

Quote:

Bob . . .

jdubner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: BendixKing KX-155 repair help Reply with quote

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 7:48:25 AM PST, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "jdubner" <jdubner(at)yahoo.com>

Bob . . .

Thank you, Bob. I did download the KX165 maintenance manual and alas, the innards of the radio are quite different, especially in the physical layout and power supply area.

I've come to learn there are differences in the various KX-155s out there too: KX155, KX155 TSO, KX155A, and differences by serial number.
As an aside, the KX165 is newer than my KX155 but even so, it references DOS for software updates and a 68HC16 microcontroller. Takes me back!

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: BendixKing KX-155 repair help Reply with quote

Quote:

Thank you, Bob. I did download the KX165 maintenance manual and alas, the innards of the radio are quite different, especially in the physical layout and power supply area.

I've come to learn there are differences in the various KX-155s out there too: KX155, KX155 TSO, KX155A, and differences by serial number.

Well . . . fooey . . .

Quote:
As an aside, the KX165 is newer than my KX155 but even so, it references DOS for software updates and a 68HC16 microcontroller. Takes me back!

Yeah. Cut my assembler teeth on an AIM65 (6500)
which offered an easy transition to 6800 series
devices.

Wrote the code for a number of $killo$ projects
on the AIM then moved to Motorola assemblers
running in MSDos . . . those were heady days!
I've still got a home brew glass-top eprom cleaner
around here somewhere.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: