Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stratux alternative ADS-B antennas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmrjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Stratux alternative ADS-B antennas? Reply with quote

Hi, new to the list. I'm interested in a Stratux for ADS-B in but would prefer a less visible antenna array for the ADS-B. Are there alternatives? I'm planning on powering the unit via aircraft power/USB cable and not using it as a portable.
John

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
farmrjohn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stratux alternative ADS-B antennas? Reply with quote

I have received the components and assembled the Stratux. Is the reason it uses two separate antennas for the two ADS-B frequencies because the computer board takes two USB receivers, one for each frequency. Some other integrated ADS-B in receivers can utilize a single antenna which can be remote. Would that be due to different circuitry inside the unit? It would be nice to get rid of the “rabbit ear” antennas I the cockpit. Any help/comments appreciated. John

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Stratux alternative ADS-B antennas? Reply with quote

Yes, there are two different receivers in there, each with its own antenna. You could use a tee to tie one antenna to both receivers I guess. Personally I like that each receiver gets an antenna optimized for its particular frequency. You can certainly remote mount the two antennas. Open Flight Solutions sells a plastic holder with a suction cup to hold them in a rear window, for instance. I've also seen some 3D printed versions on, probably, thingiverse.
The Stratux is built on a Raspberry Pi single board computer and a couple software defined radios. I'm pretty sure every other ADS-B receiver has custom receiver and decoder circuitry inside it.

--Rick
On 1/5/2019 6:34 PM, farmrjohn wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "farmrjohn" <faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com> (faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com)

I have received the components and assembled the Stratux. Is the reason it uses two separate antennas for the two ADS-B frequencies because the computer board takes two USB receivers, one for each frequency. Some other integrated ADS-B in receivers can utilize a single antenna which can be remote. Would that be due to different circuitry inside the unit? It would be nice to get rid of the “rabbit ear” antennas I the cockpit. Any help/comments appreciated. John

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=486750#486750

farmrjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stratux alternative ADS-B antennas? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the remote mount. Now I'm also considering switching to the remote gps antenna. That way the stratux could be mounted in the shade vs. in direct sunlight even though it has a built in fan. John

rick(at)beebe.org wrote:
Yes, there are two different receivers in there, each with its own antenna. You could use a tee to tie one antenna to both receivers I guess. Personally I like that each receiver gets an antenna optimized for its particular frequency. You can certainly remote mount the two antennas. Open Flight Solutions sells a plastic holder with a suction cup to hold them in a rear window, for instance. I've also seen some 3D printed versions on, probably, thingiverse.
The Stratux is built on a Raspberry Pi single board computer and a couple software defined radios. I'm pretty sure every other ADS-B receiver has custom receiver and decoder circuitry inside it.

--Rick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: