Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Imbalance (Re: Yak 52TW Fuel Starvation at near zero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Fuel Imbalance (Re: Yak 52TW Fuel Starvation at near zero Reply with quote

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth here.  I've tried a number of the different suggestions put forth here.  When I put the long tanks in my CJ over 10 years I ran the vent lines out to the wing tips thinking along the lines that placement of belly vent and its distance from the left tank caused the imbalance.  No change.  I also filed the flapper valves in the header tank.  That was some improvement but not much.  
Talking with the T-34 guys - they had the same problem with their aircraft as our fuel system is almost identical to ours.  They came up with the problems answer was yaw trim.  They have adjustable rudder trim and they found if improperly trim they would get an imbalance. 
Also if you do any formation flying and you are heavy on one foot you will get an out of balance fuel level.  You might notice that the left tank gets lower first, normally we hold a lot of left rudder to offset right yaw due to P factor and torque.  We also have to hold some this during a long climb out.  If there is not quite enough input, she starts feeding out of that tank.  
I believe the reason the CJ seems to be very susceptible to the yaw compared to the 52 is the header tank is somewhat further behind the vertical line of the center of pressure (being under the back seat) thus more moment.
At this point, I've had added shutoff valves to the individual vent lines of the main tanks.  This helps a lot but quite frankly I believe adding a rudder trim or making sure the fixed trim is right on would be the answer.  BUT just crossing controlling for a minute with the heavy tank high should get the fuel flowing the correct way.Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: