Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford Voltage Regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Ford Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Well it's working now but not the way I expected. I rewired everything to match Z-11 (except for the OVM, it's on its way) and started the engine, no juice: Battery volts only. Further investigation revealed that the builder thought the current limiter base was the actual current limiter. Installed the current limiter and everything now works fine.

Which leads me to wonder, while the engine was running and there was no current load on the alternator, what were the regulator and alternator doing? I assume that the regulator seeing a constant 12 V would be driving the alternator to maximum voltage in order to try to raise the bus voltage. How high a voltage can one of these alternators produce at 2000 RPM?
On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 8:53 AM Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
So for any VR166 regulator and Ford type alternator combination wire as per Z-11.
Thank you Bob.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 08:46 Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com) wrote:

Quote:
At 09:18 PM 11/24/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Z-11 shows the S wire of the Ford regulator tied in to the A terminal. Our Hartzell alternator has a dedicated Sta terminal so I'm guessing that the S terminal of the regulator should go to the Sta terminal on the alternator instead of being tied into the alternator switch going to the A terminal? Can anyone please confirm if this makes sense or not?

The "s" terminal did go to the stator
  winding in cars . . . but is best
  paralleled with "a" in airplanes.
  Ignore the aux, n or s terminals on
  the alternator.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Reference_Docs/Alternator_Data/Legacy_EM_Regulator_(Ford).pdf

This is because the solid state replacement
  for the Ford E-M regulator is NOT a
  strictly functional replacement. The "S"
  terminal does not behave in the same
  manner as it did on the E-M products.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

No personal experience, but from what I have read, an alternator can put out well over 100 volts when lightly loaded and field current at maximum.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Ford Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

At 11:39 AM 12/10/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Well it's working now but not the way I expected. I rewired everything to match Z-11 (except for the OVM, it's on its way) and started the engine, no juice: Battery volts only. Further investigation revealed that the builder thought the current limiter base was the actual current limiter. Installed the current limiter and everything now works fine.

Which leads me to wonder, while the engine was running and there was no current load on the alternator, what were the regulator and alternator doing? I assume that the regulator seeing a constant 12 V would be driving the alternator to maximum voltage in order to try to raise the bus voltage. How high a voltage can one of these alternators produce at 2000 RPM?

Without knowing the alternator's minimum rpm
for regulation value, it cannot be predicted
accurately . . . but it IS pretty high. A
runaway alternator on a Lycoming (hi ratio
belt drive) at cruise rpm can be spectacular.
Probably over 200 volts.

Fortunately, the only risk for no-load
operation is to the rectifiers. If everything
seems normal after the critter was properly
wired, then the rectifiers are probably
okay.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: