Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B lead circuit breaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronburnett(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: B lead circuit breaker Reply with quote

Follow up on field Cb:
Now the 5 amp Field CB blew after take off yesterday and could not be reset. A few days before it blew shortly after takeoff and reset and I read 16 colts briefly.

I removed thePlane Power alternator and will send to Montgomery for exchange (hopefully) or repair. It was purchased from Vans in December 2014 but not flying until August 2017 with less than 120 hours. Hope it is under warranty.
Will call them tomorrow morning.
Ron Burnett
May you have the Lord's blessings today!Sent from my iPad
On Oct 9, 2018, at 8:32 PM, Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Bob is correct in that it is the 5 amp Field CB that pops. First time was a year ago, once. Then 3 times on an 8 hour 4 leg cross country. First time Wig wags and strobe was on. Turns wig wags off, left strobes on, repopped a few minutes later, reset and landed. This was at the end of nearly four hours of flight.

Four days later took off with strobes on and CB popped. Turned strobe off and flew 4 hours home with no issues. Will check connection on Field wire to CB.
The voltage regulator is obviously built in the alternator.
That is all I know, which isn’t much.
Thanks,
Ron Burnett

On Oct 9, 2018, at 8:02 AM, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Do circuit breakers trip due to high voltage, or due to current overload?

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 10:30 PM Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Art,

Yes, the volt meter shows 14.2 to 14.3 range in flight, unless it spikes I guess?
Ron Burnett

On Oct 8, 2018, at 8:51 PM, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Quote:
Ron,
Do you have a voltmeter in the plane? I am guessing that the circuit breaker is popping because the voltage is going too high. Maybe a voltage regulator problem.
-- Art Z.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 8:34 PM Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)>

I have a Plane Power Alternator on my RV-6A and lately with the Aero Flash strobes on at some point the B lead CB will pop. It does reset.  Today I flew a 2 leg cross country for 4 hours total, all with the strobes off after the popping event 2 minutes into the flight. How would I determine if their is a problem with the strobes that might cause this problem?

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"We do not see the world as it is. We see the world as we are."

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
argoldman(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: B lead circuit breaker Reply with quote

Not an expert on “alternator facts” but my understanding is that the alternator can put out large voltages and it is the purpose of the VOLTAGE regulator to in effect regulate the output voltage to that useable by the plane, boat or auto. It does this by controlling the field through the protective breaker, which, in your case, seems to be breaking.

The increased voltage you temporarily saw might be perfectly normal if your voltage regulator was in its death throes and not regulating properly after which it gave up the ghost and would only blow the field breaker
All of this is to say that your voltage regulator may be the culprit not the alternator.
Keep us apprised about this breaking news
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2018, at 2:15 PM, Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Follow up on field Cb:
Now the 5 amp Field CB blew after take off yesterday and could not be reset. A few days before it blew shortly after takeoff and reset and I read 16 colts briefly.

I removed thePlane Power alternator and will send to Montgomery for exchange (hopefully) or repair. It was purchased from Vans in December 2014 but not flying until August 2017 with less than 120 hours. Hope it is under warranty.
Will call them tomorrow morning.
Ron Burnett
On Oct 9, 2018, at 8:32 PM, Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Bob is correct in that it is the 5 amp Field CB that pops. First time was a year ago, once.  Then 3 times on an 8 hour 4 leg cross country. First time Wig wags and strobe was on. Turns wig wags off, left strobes on, repopped a few minutes later, reset and landed. This was at the end of nearly four hours of flight.

Four days later took off with strobes on and CB popped. Turned strobe off and flew 4 hours home with no issues.  Will check connection on Field wire to CB.
The voltage regulator is obviously built in the alternator.
That is all I know, which isn’t much.
Thanks,
Ron Burnett

On Oct 9, 2018, at 8:02 AM, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Do circuit breakers trip due to high voltage, or due to current overload?

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 10:30 PM Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Art,

Yes, the volt meter shows 14.2 to 14.3 range in flight, unless it spikes I guess?
Ron Burnett

On Oct 8, 2018, at 8:51 PM, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Quote:
Ron,
Do you have a voltmeter in the plane? I am guessing that the circuit breaker is popping because the voltage is going too high. Maybe a voltage regulator problem.
-- Art Z.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 8:34 PM Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)>

I have a Plane Power Alternator on my RV-6A and lately with the Aero Flash strobes on at some point the B lead CB will pop. It does reset.  Today I flew a 2 leg cross country for 4 hours total, all with the strobes off after the popping event 2 minutes into the flight. How would I determine if their is a problem with the strobes that might cause this problem?

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"We do not see the world as it is. We see the world as we are."

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: B lead circuit breaker Reply with quote

Quote:

All of this is to say that your voltage regulator may be the culprit not the alternator.

PlanePower uses the stock, INTERNAL votlage
regulator in their automotive->airplane
conversions. So in this case, the whole
alternator assembly needs to be returned
for evaluation.

In this instance, it appears that the PlanePower
added, crowbar ov management system was doing its
job.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: B lead circuit breaker Reply with quote

Here is the update on my Plane Power alternator. It was tested at PP and failed internally not related to the voltage regulator. A new replacement will arrive tomorrow under warranty.

Thank all of you for your ideas and help during this process when the alternator still operated but kept tripping the field, but would reset and operate normally.
Ron Burnett RV-6A
L 0360 dual EFII

On Nov 25, 2018, at 8:28 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

for evaluation.

job.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: B lead circuit breaker Reply with quote

My new alternator arrived today and I was able to flight test it. The old PP alternator produced 14.2 volts while now I see 14.5. They also blessed me by sending the 70 amp while my return was the 60 amp. I feel that Allen at Hartzell/Plane Power treated me very well.

Thanks to all.
Ron Burnett

On Nov 28, 2018, at 4:35 PM, Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Here is the update on my Plane Power alternator. It was tested at PP and failed internally not related to the voltage regulator. A new replacement will arrive tomorrow under warranty.

Thank all of you for your ideas and help during this process when the alternator still operated but kept tripping the field, but would reset and operate normally.
Ron Burnett RV-6A
L 0360 dual EFII

On Nov 25, 2018, at 8:28 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

for evaluation.

job.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: