Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap bench supply?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the recent ebay offerings for cheap lab supplies? Example below. I tried searching my old AEC emails, but the most recent reference I found was for a much more expensive model. It'll get minimal use; just final checkout of my project's wiring and then rare uses after that, so don't want to spend $hundreds. 
0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,
Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Looks very much like the onei bought from mpja.com. mine works perfectly.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Quote:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Charlie England
<ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone have experience with the recent ebay offerings for cheap lab supplies? Example below. I tried searching my old AEC emails, but the most recent reference I found was for a much more expensive model. It'll get minimal use; just final checkout of my project's wiring and then rare uses after that, so don't want to spend $hundreds.
0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,
Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Thanks, Ernest. Anyone else?

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
<ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,
Charlie

brian.lester(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

A bit more expensive but I got this from amazon. DC Power Supply Variable,0-30 V / 0-10 A Eventek KPS3010D Adjustable Switching Regulated Power Supply Digital
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TW8H2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qY16BbT9P9Y2P

But honestly the stuff on eBay looks about the same at a better price.
-Brian
On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,
Charlie

Eric Page

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Charlie,

I’ve had a 0-60V 5A unit very similar to that one for several years. The electrolytic on its output once sizzled and smoked, but was easy to replace with a good Rubycon. You can expect any of the Chinese PSUs to have dubious caps from brands you’ve never heard of (CapXon, anyone?).

The adjustment pots aren’t from the ALPS catalog, so it’s not what I’d call a precision instrument, but if you’re not designing medical devices, it’ll probably get the job done, cheaply.

Eric

rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Charlie, this is the one I bought on Amazon. . 

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-Single-Output-Switchable-Alligator-included/dp/B07D4FQ4CP/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1542159852&sr=8-17&keywords=bench+power+supply

Rick Girard

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:29 PM Brian Lester <brian.lester(at)gmail.com (brian.lester(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
A bit more expensive but I got this from amazon. DC Power Supply Variable,0-30 V / 0-10 A Eventek KPS3010D Adjustable Switching Regulated Power Supply Digital

-Brian
On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,
Charlie

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

At 04:54 PM 11/13/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
0-30v/0-10a bench supply

That one is an excellent value.
I paid 3x that for a 0-30, 3A supply
15 years ago.

Bob . . .

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Thanks, to Richard, Earnest and Bob. Looks like I need to go ahead & pull the trigger. I'll report when it comes in.

Charlie

On 11/13/2018 7:47 PM, Richard Girard wrote:

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-Single-Output-Switchable-Alligator-included/dp/B07D4FQ4CP/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1542159852&sr=8-17&keywords=bench+power+supply

Rick Girard

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:29 PM Brian Lester <brian.lester(at)gmail.com (brian.lester(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

-Brian

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,

Charlie

--

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

John M Tipton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

What’s wrong with a ‘cb’ type radio power supply, 13.8 volts, 3-5 amps, why do you need something giving variable volts/amps, are you really going to test your expensive electronics by playing around with varying these outputs —-

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----
On 14 Nov 2018, at 3:11 am, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, to Richard, Earnest and Bob. Looks like I need to go ahead & pull the trigger. I'll report when it comes in.

Charlie

Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:

-Brian

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,

Charlie

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Several reasons, John.
1) Powering avionics will not be the only reason I ever need a power supply. I've used the one I bought for several other electronics projects that required different voltages.
2) You can ramp down the voltage to see where a particular instrument stops working. Useful for planning alternator out situations.
3) The ability to limit current allows you to safely test "experimental" electronics. Apply voltage at 1/2 an amp will let you test a circuit that may have a short.

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 4:03:06 AM EST, John Tipton <john(at)tiptonuk.eu> wrote:

What’s wrong with a ‘cb’ type radio power supply, 13.8 volts, 3-5 amps, why do you need something giving variable volts/amps, are you really going to test your expensive electronics by playing around with varying these outputs —-
JohnSent from my iPad
----x--O--x----
On 14 Nov 2018, at 3:11 am, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, to Richard, Earnest and Bob. Looks like I need to go ahead & pull the trigger. I'll report when it comes in. Charlie On 11/13/2018 7:47 PM, Richard Girard wrote:
Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:
A bit more expensive but I got this from amazon. DC Power Supply Variable,0-30 V / 0-10 A Eventek KPS3010D Adjustable Switching Regulated Power Supply Digital ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Looks very much like the onei bought from mpja.com. mine works perfectly. Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,

Charlie

-- “Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Bingo. Ability to adjust voltage and limit current can minimize damage if somethings not right. Biggest exception is 'switcher' power supplies; they are trickier to test that way.
Charlie
On Nov 14, 2018, at 8:24 AM, Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Several reasons, John.
1) Powering avionics will not be the only reason I ever need a power supply. I've used the one I bought for several other electronics projects that required different voltages.
2) You can ramp down the voltage to see where a particular instrument stops working. Useful for planning alternator out situations.
3) The ability to limit current allows you to safely test "experimental" electronics. Apply voltage at 1/2 an amp will let you test a circuit that may have a short.

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 4:03:06 AM EST, John Tipton <john(at)tiptonuk.eu> wrote:

JohnSent from my iPad
----x--O--x----
Quote:

Thanks, to Richard, Earnest and Bob. Looks like I need to go ahead & pull the trigger. I'll report when it comes in. Charlie On 11/13/2018 7:47 PM, Richard Girard wrote:
Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:
A bit more expensive but I got this from amazon. DC Power Supply Variable,0-30 V / 0-10 A Eventek KPS3010D Adjustable Switching Regulated Power Supply Digital ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Looks very much like the onei bought from mpja.com. mine works perfectly. Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,

Charlie

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

I have been thinking of getting one of these as well but a 30V 20A model. I
have used one before but I'm not entirely sure how they work. What is the
function on the amperage dial? In what situation would you set it lower
than the maximum output of the power supply?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018, 04:06 John Tipton <john(at)tiptonuk.eu wrote:

[quote] What’s wrong with a ‘cb’ type radio power supply, 13.8 volts, 3-5 amps,
why do you need something giving variable volts/amps, are you really going
to test your expensive electronics by playing around with varying these
outputs —-

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

On 14 Nov 2018, at 3:11 am, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, to Richard, Earnest and Bob. Looks like I need to go ahead & pull
the trigger. I'll report when it comes in.

Charlie

Rick Girard

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:29 PM Brian Lester <brian.lester(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

> A bit more expensive but I got this from amazon. DC Power Supply
> Variable,0-30 V / 0-10 A Eventek KPS3010D Adjustable Switching Regulated
> Power Supply Digital
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TW8H2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qY16BbT9P9Y2P
>
> But honestly the stuff on eBay looks about the same at a better price.
> -Brian
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ernest. Anyone else?
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks very much like the onei bought from mpja.com. mine works
>>> perfectly.
>>>
>>> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>>> <https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Charlie England
>>> <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone have experience with the recent ebay offerings for cheap lab
>>> supplies? Example below. I tried searching my old AEC emails, but the most
>>> recent reference I found was for a much more expensive model. It'll get
>>> minimal use; just final checkout of my project's wiring and then rare uses
>>> after that, so don't want to spend $hundreds.
>>> 0-30v/0-10a bench supply
>>> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-Digital-DC-Power-Supply-Variable-Adjustable-Lab-Bench-Test-Equipment-Tool/202435783331?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>>
>>>

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx
<http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/43244.Groucho_Marx>

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> Virus-free

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

For my purposes at the moment, the current setting would be used to minimize risk of catastrophic failure in a device that's polarity sensitive, such as electronics, or possibly external stuff around a DC motor that might get hooked up backward. The way I'd use it is to set voltage to zero, and current to some relatively low percentage of a given device's max current draw. Apply power to the device, and slowly increase voltage while monitoring current and the device 'waking up'. The current limiter may well reduce the voltage below set point, to control current, if there's an 'issue'. If everything's nominal at normal 12-14V, then current limit can be raised to the device's normal operating current to check operation.

I've used simple variable voltage supplies for decades when troubleshooting or checking devices (mostly audio gear), but without the current limiter, the operator (me) becomes the detector/limiter, and may not be perceptive or quick-reacting enough to avoid damage. I'm getting lazy in my slower response time old age. Smile

If you decide to roll your own LED landing lights, for example, a variable voltage/current supply could conceivably be used to experiment with various high power LEDs before buying a dedicated LED driver board.

As I mentioned earlier, the only thing I can think of that would be tougher to test this way would be electronics with 'switcher' power supplies. The switcher will try to draw as much current as it needs, to make full output, and may tend to be either full off (inadequate supply current) or full on, so the current/voltage  monitoring technique may prove meaningless with some of those devices. Even with those devices, we can at least check that we have polarity correct and on the correct pin(s).

Charlie

On 11/14/2018 9:55 AM, Sebastien wrote:

Quote:
I have been thinking of getting one of these as well but a 30V 20A model. I have used one before but I'm not entirely sure how they work. What is the function on the amperage dial? In what situation would you set it lower than the maximum output of the power supply?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018, 04:06 John Tipton <john(at)tiptonuk.eu (john(at)tiptonuk.eu) wrote:

Quote:

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:

Charlie

Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:

-Brian

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,

Charlie

--

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-7689733828043912502_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Yes. You can turn the current down so that no matter the voltage, you only get a set amount of current.

Quote:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Sebastien
<cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have been thinking of getting one of these as well but a 30V 20A model. I have used one before but I'm not entirely sure how they work. What is the function on the amperage dial? In what situation would you set it lower than the maximum output of the power supply?
On Wed, Nov 14, 2018, 04:06 John Tipton <john(at)tiptonuk.eu (john(at)tiptonuk.eu) wrote:
Quote:
JohnSent from my iPad
----x--O--x----

Quote:
Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

0-30v/0-10a bench supply

Thanks,

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-7689733828043912502_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

MMiller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

Charlie, I bought two of these units back in June from a different Ebay vendor. The only issue I had was an intermittent connection in the line cord at P/S end of one unit. It uses a standard computer line cord, so I just replaced it with one I had laying around. It works as advertised and it’s a good value.

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

On 11/14/2018 12:11 PM, MMiller wrote:
Quote:

Charlie, I bought two of these units back in June from a different Ebay vendor. The only issue I had was an intermittent connection in the line cord at P/S end of one unit. It uses a standard computer line cord, so I just replaced it with one I had laying around. It works as advertised and it’s a good value.

Sounds good.

Thanks for the 'PIREP'; I've got one on the way.

Charlie

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

jimkale(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

I am careful about buying electronic equipment like battery chargers and power supplies.

The very inexpensive stuff Is built from inexpensive parts which may fail fairly quickly.

It this kind of equipment fails in the max voltage mode, it can FRY some very expensive equipment being powered or tested in short order. A battery charger that fails in an over voltage mode can COOK a very expensive battery quickly.

I have wondered the streets of some of the third world countries and seen some of the "SURPLUS" electronic parts that often go into cheap test equipment. This was a real eye opener experience.

--

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

The current adjustment sets an upper bound on the current the unit will supply. If you try to draw more current than that, the output voltage falls far enough that the current stays at the limit you set.

You can use PSUs with a current limiting facility in either of two modes. Either constant voltage, which is what is normally used, or constant current mode. There are not many circuits that need a constant current drive, but I used to use one for charging NiCd batteries (in the olden days) where the current would be set at (say) 5x the one hour cell capacity and I could charge four or more cells in series. The terminal voltage would start low, and automatically rise as the cells charged.

Quote:
>In what situation would you set it lower than the maximum output of the power supply?

When you have a circuit that needs a constant current supply, or, as someone suggested, when you have a circuit which, should a fault develop, you want to limit the maximum power your supply can generate.

On Nov 14, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018, 04:06 John Tipton <john(at)tiptonuk.eu wrote:

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

On 14 Nov 2018, at 3:11 am, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Charlie

> Charlie, this is the one I bought on Amazon. .
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-Single-Output-Switchable-Alligator-included/dp/B07D4FQ4CP/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1542159852&sr=8-17&keywords=bench+power+supply
>
> Rick Girard
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:29 PM Brian Lester <brian.lester(at)gmail.com> wrote:
> A bit more expensive but I got this from amazon. DC Power Supply Variable,0-30 V / 0-10 A Eventek KPS3010D Adjustable Switching Regulated Power Supply Digital
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TW8H2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qY16BbT9P9Y2P
>
> But honestly the stuff on eBay looks about the same at a better price.
> -Brian
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Ernest. Anyone else?
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net> wrote:
> Looks very much like the onei bought from mpja.com. mine works perfectly.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Charlie England
> <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the recent ebay offerings for cheap lab supplies? Example below. I tried searching my old AEC emails, but the most recent reference I found was for a much more expensive model. It'll get minimal use; just final checkout of my project's wiring and then rare uses after that, so don't want to spend $hundreds.
> 0-30v/0-10a bench supply
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie
>
>
> --
> “Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx
>
>

Virus-free. www.avast.com

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Cheap bench supply? Reply with quote

At 04:00 PM 11/14/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "jim" <jimkale(at)roadrunner.com>

I am careful about buying electronic equipment like battery chargers and power supplies.

The very inexpensive stuff Is built from inexpensive parts which may fail fairly quickly.

It this kind of equipment fails in the max voltage mode, it can FRY some very expensive equipment being powered or tested in short order. A battery charger that fails in an over voltage mode can COOK a very expensive battery quickly.

I have wondered the streets of some of the third world countries and seen some of the "SURPLUS" electronic parts that often go into cheap test equipment. This was a real eye opener experience.

I can't speak from any documentable source
but I believe your concerns are becoming
less significant if not non-existant.

The ability of industries to fabricate
and utilize perfectly acceptable parts
has been falling exponentially for some
time. The handling $COST$ of processing
sub-standard parts into products can
easily exceed the cost of 'good' parts.

Ergo, for the vast majority of examples
on the market, I've found that the offerings
are of good value. Out here in the
hinterlands of western Kansas, my
FIRST choice for on-line shopping is
eBay, not necessarily because it has
proven to be 'better' than any other
source . . . only adequate to my needs.

Vendors with high percentages of satisfactory
customers over hundreds if not thousands
of transactions have proven to be very
low if not zero risk.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: