Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

static rpm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nail13zg(at)centurytel.ne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: static rpm Reply with quote

Ran my EA-81 for the first time at full power with the highest rpm I could get at 5000. With the max being 5400, is 5000 what I should expect for static at 3000 ft and about 15 deg above standard temp?
Has anyone developed a performance chart for various altitudes and temps?

Trey Moran
N13ZG

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
ronhansen123(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: static rpm Reply with quote

Trey,
Here are some dyno results I had done back in 2011.  The lower HP one is how my Stratus-built EA81 worked from Stratus and how I flew off my initial 40 hours.  That flying was done before the dyno and although I had far less than 100HP available, I was able to achieve decent results in testing on my Zenair 601HDS at max gross weight of 1320#.  Not stunning, but okay.  The engine ran like a top.  I had some cooling issues that took many flights to work out.....or so I thought. 

I had a valve failure on the ground and sent the engine to Ram Performance in South Carolina.  He said I had very uneven fuel distribution due to the Stratus carb design.  He fixed the engine and put in spacers between the carbs and the heads that he had worked to develop.  After that work is what the second dyno chart represent.  He said he re-timed the engine and that Stratus's timing specs are wonky and that's the main reason for the HP increase. 

Once the engine came back with more HP, I gradually increased the prop pitch and operated 100+ hours using about 4800 RPM for take off.  It still exceeded the performance from before the repair and the lower RPM was still giving me almost 100HP on takeoff.  The higher prop pitch increased cruise.  In cruise at full throttle, the RPM sometimes went to about 5000.  Still well below Stratus redline.  I also liked the "non-screaming" aspect of the lower RPM.

But the saga continues.  About a year ago I was ground testing the Stratus secondary electronic ignition and it malfunctioned.  It started firing completely out of sequence.  As it bucked to a violent stop it cracked two engine mounts, so here we go again.  I sent it back to Ram and he said the engine was not damaged by the ignition event, but that I had excessive wear on the front cylinders due to "fuel washing" from, again, uneven fuel flow from the Stratus carb setup.  Ram (Ron Carr) no longer messes with carbs due to this and he convinced me to have him install fuel injection and electronic ignition.  I just got the engine back and have many hours of work to finish the installation.  He ran a dyno test on the new setup and it maxes out around 108HP.  I haven't scanned that result yet to attach.
All this aside, the key thing to achieve before attempting flight is to ensure you have a prop within all design specs (e.g. pitch and diameter) turning within design RPM specs.
Good luck with your project.
Ron Hansen
Los Angeles

[img]cid:ii_jnncji6f0[/img]
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:14 PM Trey Moran <nail13zg(at)centurytel.net (nail13zg(at)centurytel.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Ran my EA-81 for the first time at full power with the highest rpm I could get at 5000. With the max being 5400, is 5000 what I should expect for static at 3000 ft and about 15 deg above standard temp?

Trey Moran
N13ZG

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Viewed:  6740 Time(s)

image.jpeg

nail13zg(at)centurytel.ne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: static rpm Reply with quote

Ron, thanks for the response. Lot of good information. You have certainly had your hands full.
As to my prop, It's a 3-blade Warp Drive, 72 inch diameter, set to 11 degrees pitch which is what the company recommends. Still have to teach the blades to see what rpm they are turning at the 5000 engine rpm. That's  a project for next week.
Trey
Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/24/18 10:20 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Stratus-List: static rpm

Trey,
Here are some dyno results I had done back in 2011.  The lower HP one is how my Stratus-built EA81 worked from Stratus and how I flew off my initial 40 hours.  That flying was done before the dyno and although I had far less than 100HP available, I was able to achieve decent results in testing on my Zenair 601HDS at max gross weight of 1320#.  Not stunning, but okay.  The engine ran like a top.  I had some cooling issues that took many flights to work out.....or so I thought. 

I had a valve failure on the ground and sent the engine to Ram Performance in South Carolina.  He said I had very uneven fuel distribution due to the Stratus carb design.  He fixed the engine and put in spacers between the carbs and the heads that he had worked to develop.  After that work is what the second dyno chart represent.  He said he re-timed the engine and that Stratus's timing specs are wonky and that's the main reason for the HP increase. 

Once the engine came back with more HP, I gradually increased the prop pitch and operated 100+ hours using about 4800 RPM for take off.  It still exceeded the performance from before the repair and the lower RPM was still giving me almost 100HP on takeoff.  The higher prop pitch increased cruise.  In cruise at full throttle, the RPM sometimes went to about 5000.  Still well below Stratus redline.  I also liked the "non-screaming" aspect of the lower RPM.

But the saga continues.  About a year ago I was ground testing the Stratus secondary electronic ignition and it malfunctioned.  It started firing completely out of sequence.  As it bucked to a violent stop it cracked two engine mounts, so here we go again.  I sent it back to Ram and he said the engine was not damaged by the ignition event, but that I had excessive wear on the front cylinders due to "fuel washing" from, again, uneven fuel flow from the Stratus carb setup.  Ram (Ron Carr) no longer messes with carbs due to this and he convinced me to have him install fuel injection and electronic ignition.  I just got the engine back and have many hours of work to finish the installation.  He ran a dyno test on the new setup and it maxes out around 108HP.  I haven't scanned that result yet to attach.
All this aside, the key thing to achieve before attempting flight is to ensure you have a prop within all design specs (e.g. pitch and diameter) turning within design RPM specs.
Ron Hansen
Los Angeles

[img]content://com.samsung.android.email.attachmentprovider/2/1677/RAW[/img]
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:14 PM Trey Moran <nail13zg(at)centurytel.net (nail13zg(at)centurytel.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Trey Moran
N13ZG

ronhansen123(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: static rpm Reply with quote

Best of luck with everything.

Ron

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 8:14 PM nail13zg <nail13zg(at)centurytel.net> wrote:

[quote] Ron, thanks for the response. Lot of good information. You have certainly
had your hands full.

As to my prop, It's a 3-blade Warp Drive, 72 inch diameter, set to 11
degrees pitch which is what the company recommends. Still have to teach the
blades to see what rpm they are turning at the 5000 engine rpm. That's a
project for next week.

Trey

To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: static rpm

Trey,

Here are some dyno results I had done back in 2011. The lower HP one is
how my Stratus-built EA81 worked from Stratus and how I flew off my initial
40 hours. That flying was done before the dyno and although I had far less
than 100HP available, I was able to achieve decent results in testing on my
Zenair 601HDS at max gross weight of 1320#. Not stunning, but okay. The
engine ran like a top. I had some cooling issues that took many flights to
work out.....or so I thought.

I had a valve failure on the ground and sent the engine to Ram Performance
in South Carolina. He said I had very uneven fuel distribution due to the
Stratus carb design. He fixed the engine and put in spacers between the
carbs and the heads that he had worked to develop. After that work is what
the second dyno chart represent. He said he re-timed the engine and that
Stratus's timing specs are wonky and that's the main reason for the HP
increase.

Once the engine came back with more HP, I gradually increased the prop
pitch and operated 100+ hours using about 4800 RPM for take off. It still
exceeded the performance from before the repair and the lower RPM was still
giving me almost 100HP on takeoff. The higher prop pitch increased
cruise. In cruise at full throttle, the RPM sometimes went to about 5000

jpkarnes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: static rpm Reply with quote

Hey guys,
After dealing with issues with the Stratus engine stemming from overheating in the past, I replaced the original engine with a short block from RAM.  Kept the Stratus redrive, however.  Problems began after I sent the heads to RAM for a fix of the valve guide issues.  Tried everything to torque the heads down without the studs working their way out of the case.  Finally admitted defeat and now will have a RAM engine through and through.  I called Ron of RAM to see if he would help me with converting to fuel injection but he said that he is getting away from Subaru and didn't have anything that I could just bolt on and go.  So it looks like it's carbs moving forward.  
Quote:
On October 25, 2018 at 9:58 AM ron hansen <ronhansen123(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Best of luck with everything.
Ron

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 8:14 PM nail13zg < nail13zg(at)centurytel.net (nail13zg(at)centurytel.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Ron, thanks for the response. Lot of good information. You have certainly had your hands full.
As to my prop, It's a 3-blade Warp Drive, 72 inch diameter, set to 11 degrees pitch which is what the company recommends. Still have to teach the blades to see what rpm they are turning at the 5000 engine rpm. That's  a project for next week.
Trey
From: ron hansen < ronhansen123(at)gmail.com (ronhansen123(at)gmail.com)>
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com (stratus-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: static rpm

Trey,

Ron Hansen
Los Angeles

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:14 PM Trey Moran < nail13zg(at)centurytel.net (nail13zg(at)centurytel.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Trey Moran
N13ZG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: