Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOM Primer issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: LOM Primer issue Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the help with the starter, I checked on youtube and I think my starter is normal, I just expected it to turn much faster

Main culprit that has now been identified is an inoperative primer

I am using a facet fuel pump from Aircraft spruce

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php

Combined with an electric solenoid engine primer valve

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/elsolprimer.php?clickkey=28343

This combination does not seem to generate enough pressure to open the valve in the primer nozzle in the intake manifold, suggestions on what to use for a primer pump would be appreciated. Any ideas on where I can find out at what pressure the nozzle opens?

Thanks

Mike

From: owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of sjbeaver
Sent: October 22, 2018 4:29 AM
To: lom-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: LOM STARTER

The 12v version of the starter is quite rare, so I must first ask are you absolutely 100% sure that you have a 12v starter? If you are, then put a volt meter across the starter terminal and measure the voltage when you attempt to start the engine.

How close is the reading to 12v?

With the supercharger disengaged, does the starter spin quickly and easily when you press the starter button?

Does the engine turn freely by hand?

Since the starter drives the engine through the supercharger gearing, it takes rather less power than most starters. I use only very small 9 AH lead acid battery and my engine cranks vigorously. It is 24v, however.
Steve
--
Stephen Beaver
Tel: 614-937-4189

Quote:

On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:16 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Hello All

Tried to start my 4 cylinder LOM with supercharger and 12 volt starter for first time to-day.

Starter seems very sluggish and does not want to spin the engine and seems to struggle to get past one compression stroke.

Wiring does not get warm but starter gets warm very quickly

Any advise or observations?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

mike(at)vision499.com (ike(at)vision499.com)

Home: [url=tel:+1%20250-999-8121]+1 250-999-8121[/url]

Mike cell: [url=tel:+1%20250-885-0554]+1 250-885-0554[/url]

1-1100 Tulip Ave, Victoria, BC, V8Z 0A2

Virus-free. www.avast.com

- The Matronics Lom-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lom-List
sjbeaver(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: LOM Primer issue Reply with quote

The primer nozzle is just another fuel injector nozzle and so requires a pressure of somewhere in the 80 psi+ range. That is easily achievable with a common plunger type primer, but there is no way it is going to open with a Facet pump. LOMs are hard to start without prime, but start readily with a couple of squirts.
Since you are concerned about starting, how is you starter vibrator? (Or have you installed a Slickstart?) If you are using the vibrator, take the lid off and ensure that it is vibrating vigorously when the starter is engaged. They are finicky little buggers and require cleaning and adjusting from time to time, which is why so many people replace them with a Slickstart.
Feel free to telephone if I can be of assistance.
Steve-- Stephen BeaverTel: 614-937-4189
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2018, at 12:04 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Thank you very much for the help with the starter, I checked on youtube and I think my starter is normal, I just expected it to turn much faster

This combination does not seem to generate enough pressure to open the valve in the primer nozzle in the intake manifold, suggestions on what to use for a primer pump would be appreciated. Any ideas on where I can find out at what pressure the nozzle opens?

Thanks

Mike

From: owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of sjbeaverSent: October 22, 2018 4:29 AMTo: lom-list(at)matronics.com (lom-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: LOM STARTER

The 12v version of the starter is quite rare, so I must first ask are you absolutely 100% sure that you have a 12v starter? If you are, then put a volt meter across the starter terminal and measure the voltage when you attempt to start the engine.

With the supercharger disengaged, does the starter spin quickly and easily when you press the starter button?

Since the starter drives the engine through the supercharger gearing, it takes rather less power than most starters. I use only very small 9 AH lead acid battery and my engine cranks vigorously. It is 24v, however.

Steve-- Stephen BeaverTel: [url=tel:614-937-4189]614-937-4189[/url]
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:16 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Hello All

Tried to start my 4 cylinder LOM with supercharger and 12 volt starter for first time to-day.

Starter seems very sluggish and does not want to spin the engine and seems to struggle to get past one compression stroke.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jameseby(at)yahoo.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: LOM Primer issue Reply with quote

I have the same electric primer pump from Aircraftspruce on my engine and assume it was functional. I will have to check this out. I have tried to start my engine only down to 7C and the primer will be needed at lower temperatures. In temperatures above 10C (50F) my engine starts almost immediately within a revolution or two. This is with throttle at idle and no priming or low pressure pump boost.

I do have a starting problem with a warm engine. The engine will start immediately and then stop. I have tried every configuration of throttle , low pressure boost and primer but the engine will not start again until it cools down. I will definitely check the electric primer. I have checked fuel flow previously but only before the nozzle.
I have twice contacted Prague about the problem but they have not replied.
My engine is a 337C with about 40 hrs since overhaul in Prague but was in storage for eight years.
James

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 25, 2018, at 7:39 AM, sjbeaver <sjbeaver(at)gmail.com (sjbeaver(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
The primer nozzle is just another fuel injector nozzle and so requires a pressure of somewhere in the 80 psi+ range. That is easily achievable with a common plunger type primer, but there is no way it is going to open with a Facet pump. LOMs are hard to start without prime, but start readily with a couple of squirts.
Since you are concerned about starting, how is you starter vibrator? (Or have you installed a Slickstart?) If you are using the vibrator, take the lid off and ensure that it is vibrating vigorously when the starter is engaged. They are finicky little buggers and require cleaning and adjusting from time to time, which is why so many people replace them with a Slickstart.
Feel free to telephone if I can be of assistance.
Steve-- Stephen BeaverTel: 614-937-4189
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2018, at 12:04 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Thanks

Mike

From: owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-lom-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of sjbeaverSent: October 22, 2018 4:29 AMTo: lom-list(at)matronics.com (lom-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: LOM STARTER

Steve-- Stephen BeaverTel: [url=tel:614-937-4189]614-937-4189[/url]
Quote:

Hello All

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: