Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

urethane fuel (??) line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

Well, after a year of distractions, I got back on the Kolb this afternoon, hoping to get it flying for our annual Pumpkin Drop here at Slobovia Outernational (MS71). It's been sitting for about 11 months, with the fuel I put in it last year. Non-ethanol premium mogas is what I put in it. I decided to drain the tank to add fresh fuel, so I added some line to the fuel output line (to reach a gas can) and blew into it to pressurize the tank & start fuel flowing. Got great pressure with one lung of air, but only air came back out the line. Finally pulled the fitting (installed in the top of the tank) and it came out with about an inch of the urethane flex line I used to reach the bottom of the tank, with a pickup filter on the other end. You can see in the pic what the pickup line looks like. Strange thing is, the lines on the outside of the tank are in good shape, even though they came off the same roll of fuel line and still have fuel in them.
I guess I'll replace with some teflon lined a/c grade stainless flex line. I must say, I'm a bit surprised that it would rot this badly, this quickly. I thought annual replacement was a precaution; not a "I hope I get this before I die" kind of thing.
BTW, if you're within striking distance of Jackson MS, come on down for the Pumpkin Drop. Contact info on the flier attached.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Slobovia_2018.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.19 KB
 Viewed:  6938 Time(s)

Slobovia_2018.jpg

Pfatchantz(at)protonmail.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

test

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, October 19, 2018 5:41 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Well, after a year of distractions, I got back on the Kolb this afternoon, hoping to get it flying for our annual Pumpkin Drop here at Slobovia Outernational (MS71). It's been sitting for about 11 months, with the fuel I put in it lastyear. Non-ethanol premium mogas is what I put in it. I decided to drain the tank to add fresh fuel, so I added some line to the fuel output line (to reach a gas can) and blew into it to pressurize the tank & start fuel flowing. Got great pressure with one lung of air, but only air came back out the line. Finally pulled the fitting (installed in the top of the tank) and it came out with about an inch of the urethane flex line I used to reach the bottom of the tank, with a pickup filter on the other end. You can see in the pic what the pickup line looks like. Strange thing is, the lines on the outside of the tank are in good shape, even though they came off the same roll of fuel line and still have fuel in them.

I guess I'll replace with some teflon lined a/c grade stainless flex line. I must say, I'm a bit surprised that it would rot this badly, this quickly. I thought annual replacement was a precaution; not a "I hope I get this before I die" kind of thing.

BTW, if you're within striking distance of Jackson MS, come on down for the Pumpkin Drop. Contact info on the flier attached.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

I don't know why folks insist on using plastic fuel line.  It's an ultralight thing I guess.  Stuff is dangerous.  Some that use urethane fuel line say they need it so they can see the fuel?????

Way back in prehistoric days of my ultralighting, I automatically used urethane because that's what came in the kits and everyone else was using it.

After some problems I changed over to neoprene rubber fuel line many years ago.  Never had a problem with it.  Last for a very long time.  It has been around for a very long time.    But I can't see my fuel......

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 5:42 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: urethane fuel (??) line

Well, after a year of distractions, I got back on the Kolb this afternoon, hoping to get it flying for our annual Pumpkin Drop here at Slobovia Outernational (MS71). It's been sitting for about 11 months, with the fuel I put in it last year. Non-ethanol premium mogas is what I put in it. I decided to drain the tank to add fresh fuel, so I added some line to the fuel output line (to reach a gas can) and blew into it to pressurize the tank & start fuel flowing. Got great pressure with one lung of air, but only air came back out the line. Finally pulled the fitting (installed in the top of the tank) and it came out with about an inch of the urethane flex line I used to reach the bottom of the tank, with a pickup filter on the other end. You can see in the pic what the pickup line looks like. Strange thing is, the lines on the outside of the tank are in good shape, even though they came off the same roll of fuel line and still have fuel in them.

Titus, Alabama
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

Hello John. Do you use the reinforced neoprene or just the straight neoprene like Aircraft Spruce sells? Thanks, George George H.
Firestar
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2018, at 8:19 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I don't know why folks insist on using plastic fuel line. It's an ultralight thing I guess. Stuff is dangerous. Some that use urethane fuel line say they need it so they can see the fuel?????

Way back in prehistoric days of my ultralighting, I automatically used urethane because that's what came in the kits and everyone else was using it.

After some problems I changed over to neoprene rubber fuel line many years ago. Never had a problem with it. Last for a very long time. It has been around for a very long time. But I can't see my fuel.....

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie England
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Well, after a year of distractions, I got back on the Kolb this afternoon, hoping to get it flying for our annual Pumpkin Drop here at Slobovia Outernational (MS71). It's been sitting for about 11 months, with the fuel I put in it last year. Non-ethanol premium mogas is what I put in it. I decided to drain the tank to add fresh fuel, so I added some line to the fuel output line (to reach a gas can) and blew into it to pressurize the tank & start fuel flowing. Got great pressure with one lung of air, but only air came back out the line. Finally pulled the fitting (installed in the top of the tank) and it came out with about an inch of the urethane flex line I used to reach the bottom of the tank, with a pickup filter on the other end. You can see in the pic what the pickup line looks like. Strange thing is, the lines on the outside of the tank are in good shape, even though they came off the same roll of fuel line and still have fuel in them.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

I buy the fuel line local, a good grade with pretty stiff wall.

I like Gates.  Go to their site.  They have a lot of new stuff.  Was just looking at submersible fuel line for using inside the fuel tank.  Most neoprene rubber fuel line is fuel resistant on the inside, but not on the outside.  Submersible is resistant inside and out.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of George Helton
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: urethane fuel (??) line

Hello John. Do you use the reinforced neoprene or just the straight neoprene like Aircraft Spruce sells? Thanks, George
George H.

Firestar

Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 19, 2018, at 8:19 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I don't know why folks insist on using plastic fuel line. It's an ultralight thing I guess. Stuff is dangerous. Some that use urethane fuel line say they need it so they can see the fuel?????

After some problems I changed over to neoprene rubber fuel line many years ago. Never had a problem with it. Last for a very long time. It has been around for a very long time. But I can't see my fuel......

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie England

Titus, Alabama
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

On 10/19/2018 5:41 PM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:
Well, after a year of distractions, I got back on the Kolb this afternoon, hoping to get it flying for our annual Pumpkin Drop here at Slobovia Outernational (MS71). It's been sitting for about 11 months, with the fuel I put in it last year. Non-ethanol premium mogas is what I put in it. I decided to drain the tank to add fresh fuel, so I added some line to the fuel output line (to reach a gas can) and blew into it to pressurize the tank & start fuel flowing. Got great pressure with one lung of air, but only air came back out the line. Finally pulled the fitting (installed in the top of the tank) and it came out with about an inch of the urethane flex line I used to reach the bottom of the tank, with a pickup filter on the other end. You can see in the pic what the pickup line looks like. Strange thing is, the lines on the outside of the tank are in good shape, even though they came off the same roll of fuel line and still have fuel in them.

Well, shucks. The fuel line image didn't make it through. Let's try again.

Has anyone used any type of 'plastic' fuel line other than the blue urethane stuff? What about other materials? Vinyl? Tygon?

Thanks,

Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

rotten_fuel_pickup_line_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.98 KB
 Viewed:  6936 Time(s)

rotten_fuel_pickup_line_(Medium).jpg

Pfatchantz(at)protonmail.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

Meetooo....

I buy gates when I can find it locally..otherwise just std auto fuel line.. Very shocking to grab the yellow stuff and have it disintegrate in ones hand..!

pfatchantz...better know as Herb is back on the list..I think..

A note to say that I enjoyed my over nite in Troy Alabama...and my trip to Slocum and Freedom Field to purchase the much passed around James A. Tripp Kolb Firestar II...5th owner... 450 or so hours on airframe and engine...still looks good save a bit of hangar rash.. went down on the 8th , loaded and caught a motel in Troy.Something about a Hurricane??

Came back via 231...for my experience on I-65 told me that "ole Red" , my 1991 F250 Diesel was not happy on the interstate with everyone going 80 to 90 mph.. some beautiful country and quaint towns to be seen heading toward Huntsville...one I recall...weebumka...something like that? I stopped at the McDonalds there and noticed a historical marker at a table in the corner...said John Hauck was the champion coffee drinker in the restaurant... 750 gallons...as I recall.. Don't remember what year?? Smile

James built a really good example of a Kolb Firestar...I have seen his color scheme somewhere?? Smile Amazingly , the landing gear is straight and the wheels are at a proper angle...4 previous owners?? I am on the spot now!!

The first thing I noticed after getting it off of the trailer is how difficult it is to handle with the wings folded and how close the wing leading edge was to the ground. The MkIII and Fireflys were easier..

I welded up a three wheel dolly but got the castering front wheel at an angle... it worked well enough to get it into one side of the garage.. Anyone have a picture of a better one... Gotta do a bit more work...Castering wheels like to be level to the ground..maybe perpendicular is better said?

Anyhow..always enjoy reading the list and hearing of the exploits and linking to the vids..

Hope to have the low time 503 installed in time for next spring...Logs do not show a decarb and they look complete...

Carry on....Herb (on the ridge at Breezy Hill Farm)

On Friday, October 19, 2018 7:48 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

I like Gates. Go to their site. They have a lot of new stuff. Was just looking at submersible fuel line for using inside the fuel tank. Most neoprene rubber fuel line is fuel resistant on the inside, but not on the outside. Submersible is resistant inside and out.

john h

mkIII

Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of George Helton
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: urethane fuel (??) line

Hello John. Do you use the reinforced neoprene or just the straight neoprene like Aircraft Spruce sells? Thanks, George

George H.
Firestar
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

After some problems I changed over to neoprene rubber fuel line many years ago. Never had a problem with it. Last for a very long time. It has been around for a very long time. But I can't see my fuel......

john h

mkIII

Titus, Alabama

Subject: Kolb-List: urethane fuel (??) line

Well, after a year of distractions, I got back on the Kolb this afternoon, hoping to get it flying for our annual Pumpkin Drop here at Slobovia Outernational (MS71). It's been sitting for about 11 months, with the fuel I put in it lastyear. Non-ethanol premium mogas is what I put in it. I decided to drain the tank to add fresh fuel, so I added some line to the fuel output line (to reach a gas can) and blew into it to pressurize the tank & start fuel flowing. Got great pressure with one lung of air, but only air came back out the line. Finally pulled the fitting (installed in the top of the tank) and it came out with about an inch of the urethane flex line I used to reach the bottom of the tank, with a pickup filter on the other end. You can see in the pic what the pickup line looks like. Strange thing is, the lines on the outside of the tank are in good shape, even though they came off the same roll of fuel line and still have fuel in them.

mojaveclimber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

Charlie

I have reverted to quality automotive hose, Gates.  The plastic hoses have failed prematurely on my Kolb just  unreliable.
Jim
Kolb Mk 3
Piper PA 28 Cherokee 140

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 6:25 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Has anyone used any type of 'plastic' fuel line other than the blue urethane stuff? What about other materials? Vinyl? Tygon?

Thanks,

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_6492035210160783892_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies. I sent the 2nd post before noticing that John and others had recommended automotive hose. I'll order some submersible hose & hopefully, be done with this issue.
Charlie
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 2:04 AM Jim Thomson <mojaveclimber(at)gmail.com (mojaveclimber(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Charlie

I have reverted to quality automotive hose, Gates.  The plastic hoses have failed prematurely on my Kolb just  unreliable.
Jim
Kolb Mk 3
Piper PA 28 Cherokee 140

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 6:25 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_7624744521292491001_m_6492035210160783892_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: urethane fuel (??) line Reply with quote

You almost got that right, Wetumpka, the big city 15 miles south of hauck's holler.  Must have been a mistake on that historical marker's location.  It should be placed up here in the country where I do some serious coffee drinking.

James Tripp's Firestar was well built, not that I gave him a hand every once in a while.  He is a good craftsman.  That FS made several flights to the Kolb Homecoming in London, KY, and one flight to Nauga Field in Star Hill, LA, home of John Bickham, at the time.  John B relocated to a flyin community in Los Lunas, NM.  What a change from the swamps of LA to the desert of NM.  He is now building a Bearcat.  In that same community is our buddy Mike Marker who build a FS in addition to 12 or 13 other aircraft.  He just finished up a Carbon Cub a couple years ago.  I think he's building an RV8 now.  They are part of our Kolb group that show up at the Rock House each year for our annual flyin.

Herb, I reckon you'll get this FS squared away and sell it?

I need to do some cosmetic work on my MKIII.  Also need to rebuild the pitch trim system.  Needs a new cable.  The old system we designed 28 years ago held together for a lot of hours, around 3400.00, the first time around.

Next time you are through the Heart of Dixie, stop by for a cup of coffee.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pfatchantz
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 10:18 PM
Subject: RE: urethane fuel (??) line

Meetooo....

I buy gates when I can find it locally..otherwise just std auto fuel line.. Very shocking to grab the yellow stuff and have it disintegrate in ones hand..!

pfatchantz...better know as Herb is back on the list..I think..

A note to say that I enjoyed my over nite in Troy Alabama...and my trip to Slocum and Freedom Field to purchase the much passed around James A. Tripp Kolb Firestar II...5th owner... 450 or so hours on airframe and engine...still looks good save a bit of hangar rash.. went down on the 8th , loaded and caught a motel in Troy.Something about a Hurricane??

Came back via 231...for my experience on I-65 told me that "ole Red" , my 1991 F250 Diesel was not happy on the interstate with everyone going 80 to 90 mph.. some beautiful country and quaint towns to be seen heading toward Huntsville...one I recall...weebumka...something like that? I stopped at the McDonalds there and noticed a historical marker at a table in the corner...said John Hauck was the champion coffee drinker in the restaurant... 750 gallons...as I recall.. Don't remember what year?? Smile

James built a really good example of a Kolb Firestar...I have seen his color scheme somewhere?? Smile Amazingly , the landing gear is straight and the wheels are at a proper angle...4 previous owners?? I am on the spot now!!

The first thing I noticed after getting it off of the trailer is how difficult it is to handle with the wings folded and how close the wing leading edge was to the ground. The MkIII and Fireflys were easier..

I welded up a three wheel dolly but got the castering front wheel at an angle... it worked well enough to get it into one side of the garage.. Anyone have a picture of a better one... Gotta do a bit more work...Castering wheels like to be level to the ground..maybe perpendicular is better said?

Anyhow..always enjoy reading the list and hearing of the exploits and linking to the vids..

Hope to have the low time 503 installed in time for next spring...Logs do not show a decarb and they look complete...

Carry on....Herb (on the ridge at Breezy Hill Farm)

On Friday, October 19, 2018 7:48 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

I like Gates. Go to their site. They have a lot of new stuff. Was just looking at submersible fuel line for using inside the fuel tank. Most neoprene rubber fuel line is fuel resistant on the inside, but not on the outside. Submersible is resistant inside and out.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Subject: Re: urethane fuel (??) line

George H.

Firestar

Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: