Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you install a "battery bus"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv8ch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm struggling to find anything that really needs to be connected to an always-hot battery bus.
I have an io360 with pmags which will power themselves in case of issue with the normal power bus, my mission is vfr day, GRT EFIS, Trig Radio and transponder, some lights (that I don't really need), and that's about it.
I could see some value in an always hot cigar lighter-type connection to charge a phone while on the ground, or to send some electrons to the battery, but not much else.
Am I missing something or are there others that don't have a battery bus?
Mickey Coggins

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Clock is about the only thing …

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Mickey Coggins
Sent: 18 September 2018 13:36
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Did you install a "battery bus"?

Hi,

I'm struggling to find anything that really needs to be connected to an always-hot battery bus.

I have an io360 with pmags which will power themselves in case of issue with the normal power bus, my mission is vfr day, GRT EFIS, Trig Radio and transponder, some lights (that I don't really need), and that's about it.

I could see some value in an always hot cigar lighter-type connection to charge a phone while on the ground, or to send some electrons to the battery, but not much else.

Mickey Coggins

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Some GPS units have a keep-alive circuit requiring connection to a battery buss. Ensures that the GPS is always ready to go without the usual boot up time.

On Sep 18, 2018, at 7:35 AM, Mickey Coggins <mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch> wrote:

Hi,

Mickey Coggins

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

I have an always hot plug that I can use to either charge the battery or power an accessory (12v air pump, phone charger). I use automotive connector plugs rather than cigarette lighter plugs but basically one cigarette lighter plug wired directly to the battery can be very handy but I can't figure out a use for anything more.

On Sep 18, 2018 16:01, "Mickey Coggins" <mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch (mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Mickey Coggins

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Mike,
I have a battery bus but it only powers two things: the keep-alive line for my MGL EFIS and an LED ceiling light (which has its own on/off switch).
If your EFIS doesn't require any keep-alive then you truly might not need a battery bus. 
And remember... nothing is forever. If you start without one and change your mind, it's OK. You can add a battery bus.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 5:13 PM Mickey Coggins <mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch (mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi,

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"We do not see the world as it is. We see the world as we are."

John M Tipton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

No battery bus ---

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 18 Sep 2018, at 1:35 pm, Mickey Coggins <mick-matronics(at)rv8.ch> wrote:

Hi,

Mickey Coggins

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Hi Mickey,

getting close Smile, I have some items on the Battery Bus but my design is
already 15 years flying (based on Z11) Smile

I have on the battery bus:

-the connection to the Essential bus (alternate feed) (could be
direct on the battery)
     -a connection to my handheld com
    - a connection to my handheld GPS
    - a connection to the Hoobs

Cheers Werner

On 18.09.2018 14:35, Mickey Coggins wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm struggling to find anything that really needs to be connected to
an always-hot battery bus.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Quote:

On 18.09.2018 14:35, Mickey Coggins wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Any airplane fitted with a battery bus has one or more
devices that need to be functional with the DC PWR master
switches OFF. When I worked at Cessna in '64, single engine
airplanes had two fuses mounted right at the battery box
to power the electric clock and the oil-pressure actuated
Hobbs hour meter. During the time I worked there, I can
recall only one other system that was tied to a 'battery
bus'. The T41 trainer (172 on steroids) had a third fuse
that powered a solid state 121.5 transceiver mounted
back behind the baggage compartment.

The suggested loads for the battery bus in OBAM
aircraft added features like dome lights, under-wing
utility lighting, baggage compartment lights, utility
jacks in cockpit for supporting a hand-held (backup
comm and/or ATIS/Clearance Delivery), and/or a handy port for
attaching battery maintainer to the ship's battery.

When electrically dependent engines came along, it
seemed prudent to run all engine support systems from
the battery bus so that DC PWR masters could be
shut off without compromising the engine.

Every builder's needs will be different and new
reasons to tap the battery directly may yet arise
as the art and science of our craft evolves.
But it's not difficult to imagine a project with
no such features.

Bob . . .

rv8ch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the feedback, gents.  I've decided to skip the battery bus.  I reserve the right to change my mind at the last minute!  :DMickey Coggins

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

At 08:59 AM 9/21/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks for all the feedback, gents. I've decided to skip the battery bus. I reserve the right to change my mind at the last minute!

You can change your mind years from now . . .
no telling what new electro-whizzies worthy
of always-hot power source might emerge.
It's an OBAM aircraft . . . you can DO
it completely free of any requirement for
permission!

Bob . . .

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Did you install a "battery bus"? Reply with quote

Just for background - the GRTs used to require a battery bus connection to keep the internal clock running.  I put one in for that.  Later they they used the GPS signal to update the time when the unit was powered up.  I disconnected it.

On 9/18/2018 8:35 AM, Mickey Coggins wrote:

Quote:
Hi,

Mickey Coggins

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: