Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alternator gets hot while hangar flying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenryan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: alternator gets hot while hangar flying Reply with quote

I've been spending some time in the seat learning to use my Dynon. I just noticed that my alternator (Denso, internally regulated) gets hot with the power on. I can hold my hand against it, but just barely. Any hotter and I would need to remove my hand. I guess it makes sense that it would get hot (energizing the field). Am I harming the alternator? Should I unplug the field wire?

Ken

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: alternator gets hot while hangar flying Reply with quote

At 11:06 AM 8/16/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
I've been spending some time in the seat learning to use my Dynon. I just noticed that my alternator (Denso, internally regulated) gets hot with the power on. I can hold my hand against it, but just barely. Any hotter and I would need to remove my hand. I guess it makes sense that it would get hot (energizing the field). Am I harming the alternator? Should I unplug the field wire?

If you have wired it per any of the z-figures, then
you're already configured for battery-only, ground
ops by leaving the DC MASTER switch in BAT only postion
when the engine is not running.

What are you using for alternator control? Can you
not turn it off from the cockpit?

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: alternator gets hot while hangar flying Reply with quote

Could you simply turn the alternator off? Or pull the field breaker?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Ken

kenryan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: alternator gets hot while hangar flying Reply with quote

Bob, no I do not have a BAT only position on my master (drawing attached). Yes, I do have a field breaker that I can easily pull, and I will pull it from now on. Have I harmed my alternator by not turning it off previously?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Ken

electrical.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.86 KB
 Viewed:  3236 Time(s)

electrical.jpg

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: alternator gets hot while hangar flying Reply with quote

I go out to my Jeep in the summer and parts of it are so hot I can't keep my hands on them. I get in it and drive, and the engine compartment gets even hotter. I shut down, and it gets even hotter. The alternator has lived in there for YEARS and never given me a problem.
If you were able to keep your hand on it, it is probably still wearing its sweater. Smile

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:08 PM, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Bob, no I do not have a BAT only position on my master (drawing attached). Yes, I do have a field breaker that I can easily pull, and I will pull it from now on. Have I harmed my alternator by not turning it off previously?
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ken

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: alternator gets hot while hangar flying Reply with quote

At 12:05 PM 8/16/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob, no I do not have a BAT only position on my master (drawing attached). Yes, I do have a field breaker that I can easily pull, and I will pull it from now on.

that will work

Quote:
Have I harmed my alternator by not turning it off previously?

No, it will be fine.

Bob . . .

gfarek(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: alternator gets hot while hangar flying Reply with quote

Pull the field breaker or fuse maybe.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 16, 2018, at 11:18 AM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ken

=================================== st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List =================================== cs.com =================================== om =================================== matronics.com/contribution ===================================

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: