Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-8 Wing tank removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwstracy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

Working on the takeoff damage to the RV-8 and need to remove the tank for access and to repair the tank damage. I’ve removed all the screws around the perimeter of the tank and the three [url=x-apple-data-detectors://0]3/16[/url]” bolts at the root into the spar web. . That’s all I recall holding on the tank but it refuses to budge more than maybe .03” away from its position.

Are there any other fasteners holding the tank on? I’m in CO away from my plans. Any ideas on tank removal if that’s not the problem?

Thanks for any info or suggestions,
Tracy Crook

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
bifft(at)xmission.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Tracy Crook wrote:

Quote:
Working on the takeoff damage to the RV-8 and need to remove the tank
for access and to repair the tank damage. I’ve removed all the screws
around the perimeter of the tank and the three 3/16” bolts at the root
into the spar web. . That’s all I recall holding on the tank but it
refuses to budge more than maybe .03” away from its position.

There are about 21 3/16" bolts in the spar web going into the "z-angles"
on the back of the tank. If you only removed three at the root you left
most of them in. The rest can be removed through the wing access holes on
the bottom. Many are in the next rib bay over from the access hole, so
use a mirror and a flashlight to check that you got them all. There are
three in pretty much every rib bay behind the tank, except where the wing
walk is.

Other than that when I removed a tank to fix a fuel leak, it took a
harder pull than I was expecting to pop the skin dimples out.

Brian Huffaker, DSWL (bifft(at)xmission.com)
RV-8A 80091 Test flying

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

Yes - many more 3/16” bolts holding the Z braces to the spar.
Access them via the bottom inspection plates.
Carl

On Aug 9, 2018, at 6:15 PM, Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Working on the takeoff damage to the RV-8 and need to remove the tank for access and to repair the tank damage. I’ve removed all the screws around the perimeter of the tank and the three [url=x-apple-data-detectors://0]3/16[/url]” bolts at the root into the spar web. . That’s all I recall holding on the tank but it refuses to budge more than maybe .03” away from its position.

Are there any other fasteners holding the tank on? I’m in CO away from my plans. Any ideas on tank removal if that’s not the problem?

Tracy Crook

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

There are like 12 or 15 bolts AN-3 through the back of the spar and into z brackets on the back of the tank. All accessed through the inspection hatches.
Bob NewmanTCW Technologies, LLC
610-928-3420
On Aug 9, 2018, at 6:15 PM, Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Working on the takeoff damage to the RV-8 and need to remove the tank for access and to repair the tank damage. I’ve removed all the screws around the perimeter of the tank and the three[url=x-apple-data-detectors://0]3/16[/url]” bolts at the root into the spar web. . That’s all I recall holding on the tank but it refuses to budge more than maybe .03” away from its position.

Tracy Crook

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

Hey Tracy,

Same tank as the -7, AFAIK. The z brackets are behind every rib, if memory serves. I think I can email you that page from the -7 plans, if you want.

You can slip stuff like old credit cards or other thin  items between the back edge of the tank & the spar to lift the dimples prior to removing the tank. I've pulled the tanks on the -4 several times. I usually pull out the root end slightly first, using a wedge between the nose attach angles. Then, if needed, I wedge something in the slight V between the other end of the tank skin and the wing leading edge skin, and push the root end back aft. This will shift the tank inboard and move the outboard end forward slightly. Makes the rest of the removal go easier for me.

Charlie

On 8/9/2018 6:21 PM, Tcwtech wrote:

Quote:
There are like 12 or 15 bolts AN-3 through the back of the spar and into z brackets on the back of the tank.   All accessed through the inspection hatches. 
Bob Newman TCW Technologies, LLC
610-928-3420

Quote:

Working on the takeoff damage to the RV-8 and need to remove the tank for access and to repair the tank damage.  I’ve removed all the screws around the perimeter of the tank and the three [url=x-apple-data-detectors://0]3/16[/url]” bolts at the root into the spar web. .  That’s all I recall holding on the tank but it refuses to budge more than maybe .03” away from its position.

Are there any other fasteners holding the tank on?  I’m in CO away from my plans.  Any ideas on tank removal if that’s not the problem?

Tracy Crook

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

rwstracy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

Thank you guys. Ah, the things you forget after 17 years (holy 💩, been that long?).
I had recently pulled a tank on the -4 which doesn’t have the braces. I should be able to get it from this info but thanks for offer of the plans Charlie.
A copy of RV8 plans showing PN of left forward & bottom fwd. fuse parts would be handy if anyone has it scanned. Will be ready to order parts soon.
Tracy Crook

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2018, at 18:14, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hey Tracy,

Same tank as the -7, AFAIK. The z brackets are behind every rib, if memory serves. I think I can email you that page from the -7 plans, if you want.

You can slip stuff like old credit cards or other thin items between the back edge of the tank & the spar to lift the dimples prior to removing the tank. I've pulled the tanks on the -4 several times. I usually pull out the root end slightly first, using a wedge between the nose attach angles. Then, if needed, I wedge something in the slight V between the other end of the tank skin and the wing leading edge skin, and push the root end back aft. This will shift the tank inboard and move the outboard end forward slightly. Makes the rest of the removal go easier for me.

Charlie

Quote:
There are like 12 or 15 bolts AN-3 through the back of the spar and into z brackets on the back of the tank. All accessed through the inspection hatches.
610-928-3420

Quote:

Tracy Crook

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

It's not as good as having the paper plans to spread out in front of you, but you can get a thumb drive containing the entire manual from Van's for about $10. Find a laptop & copy it to the cloud, & copy back to your ipad.

I'll check with Andy to see if he has a 'soft' copy, and email those pages to you if he does.

Charlie

On 8/10/2018 7:52 AM, Tracy Crook wrote:

Quote:
Thank you guys.  Ah, the things you forget after 17 years (holy 💩, been that long?).  
I had recently pulled a tank on the -4 which doesn’t have the braces.  I should be able to get it from this info but thanks for offer of the plans Charlie.

A copy of RV8 plans showing PN of left forward & bottom fwd. fuse parts would be handy if anyone has it scanned.  Will be ready to order parts soon.

Tracy Crook

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2018, at 18:14, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Hey Tracy,

You can slip stuff like old credit cards or other thin  items between the back edge of the tank & the spar to lift the dimples prior to removing the tank. I've pulled the tanks on the -4 several times. I usually pull out the root end slightly first, using a wedge between the nose attach angles. Then, if needed, I wedge something in the slight V between the other end of the tank skin and the wing leading edge skin, and push the root end back aft. This will shift the tank inboard and move the outboard end forward slightly. Makes the rest of the removal go easier for me.

Charlie

Quote:
There are like 12 or 15 bolts AN-3 through the back of the spar and into z brackets on the back of the tank.   All accessed through the inspection hatches. 
610-928-3420

Quote:

Working on the takeoff damage to the RV-8 and need to remove the tank for access and to repair the tank damage.  I’ve removed all the screws around the perimeter of the tank and the three [url=x-apple-data-detectors://0]3/16[/url]” bolts at the root into the spar web. .  That’s all I recall holding on the tank but it refuses to budge more than maybe .03” away from its position.

Are there any other fasteners holding the tank on?  I’m in CO away from my plans.  Any ideas on tank removal if that’s not the problem?

Tracy Crook

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

No joy on the soft copy, but he's built/rebuilt several -8s. Want me to see
if he has an extra set of printed plans he'd sell, if no one can send you a
pdf of those pages?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

[quote] It's not as good as having the paper plans to spread out in front of you,
but you can get a thumb drive containing the entire manual from Van's for
about $10. Find a laptop & copy it to the cloud, & copy back to your ipad

rwstracy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: RV-8 Wing tank removal Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie. The thumb drive is a perfect solution. It will be here by the time I need it.

Tracy

[quote] On Aug 10, 2018, at 08:46, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

No joy on the soft copy, but he's built/rebuilt several -8s. Want me to see if he has an extra set of printed plans he'd sell, if no one can send you a pdf of those pages?

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not as good as having the paper plans to spread out in front of you, but you can get a thumb drive containing the entire manual from Van's for about $10. Find a laptop & copy it to the cloud, & copy back to your ipad.
>
> I'll check with Andy to see if he has a 'soft' copy, and email those pages to you if he does.
>
> Charlie
>
>> On 8/10/2018 7:52 AM, Tracy Crook wrote:
>> Thank you guys. Ah, the things you forget after 17 years (holy 💩, been that long?).
>>
>> I had recently pulled a tank on the -4 which doesn’t have the braces. I should be able to get it from this info but thanks for offer of the plans Charlie.
>>
>> A copy of RV8 plans showing PN of left forward & bottom fwd. fuse parts would be handy if anyone has it scanned. Will be ready to order parts soon.
>>
>> Tracy Crook
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Aug 9, 2018, at 18:14, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Tracy,
>>>
>>> Same tank as the -7, AFAIK. The z brackets are behind every rib, if memory serves. I think I can email you that page from the -7 plans, if you want

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: