Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A36 standby battery and relay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toaster73(at)embarqmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: A36 standby battery and relay Reply with quote

Bob/List
I am kind of on the sidelines of troubleshooting an A36 Bonanza with a G1000 system. The plane has a B&C standby alternator and cross tie relay that functions related to engine rpm, best I can tell. The alternator doesn't seem to be charging the battery - found the crimp under the protective boot on the alternator output to be quite loose such that the wire pulled right out. Fixed that and still the G1000 goes dark once the main bus is turned off and the backup bus (2nd battery) is on. It seems as though the standby battery relay is not working. The standby battery is new reading 24 volts. Getting that reading required great contortions under the passenger side of the panel. Its a concord battery with a cannon plug connection. The main question is where physically is the relay for this battery - no one seems to know, even the helper on the Beech service line did not know. We would like to get to this relay and see if it is the culprit causing the panel to go dark when main power is off.
Thanks
Chris Lucas
RV-10
Aircam

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: A36 standby battery and relay Reply with quote

At 11:49 AM 7/6/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Chris <toaster73(at)embarqmail.com>

Bob/List
I am kind of on the sidelines of troubleshooting an A36 Bonanza with a G1000 system. The plane has a B&C standby alternator and cross tie relay that functions related to engine rpm, best I can tell. The alternator doesn't seem to be charging the battery - found the crimp under the protective boot on the alternator output to be quite loose such that the wire pulled right out. Fixed that and still the G1000 goes dark once the main bus is turned off and the backup bus (2nd battery) is on. It seems as though the standby battery relay is not working. The standby battery is new reading 24 volts. Getting that reading required great contortions under the passenger side of the panel. Its a concord battery with a cannon plug connection. The main question is where physically is the relay for this battery - no one seems to know, even the helper on the Beech service line did not know. We would like to get to this relay and see if it is the culprit causing the panel to go dark when main power is off.

Do you have the Beech maintenance data on the airplane?
Those books pretty much show where everything is at and
includes wiring diagrams that show how its all wired
up. Have standby alternator operations been reviewed
per the POH? It's been ten years since I saw those
drawings and they are fuzzy at best and may even have
been modified. The way we USED to put them in, the
s/b alternator and battery were independent of each
other. The s/b alternator should be able to boost
the main bus with the main battery on whether or
not any auxiliary batteries were present.

If you don't have the books, you're looking for
a black cat in a coal mine at midnight.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

toaster73(at)embarqmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: A36 standby battery and relay Reply with quote

Bob/List

I am kind of on the sidelines of troubleshooting an A36 Bonanza with a
G1000 system. The plane has a B&C standby alternator and cross tie
relay that functions related to engine rpm, best I can tell. The
alternator doesn't seem to be charging the battery - found the crimp
under the protective boot on the alternator output to be quite loose such
that the wire pulled right out. Fixed that and still the G1000 goes dark
once the main bus is turned off and the backup bus (2nd battery) is on.
It seems as though the standby battery relay is not working. The standby
battery is new reading 24 volts. Getting that reading required great
contortions under the passenger side of the panel. Its a concord battery
with a cannon plug connection. The main question is where physically is
the relay for this battery - no one seems to know, even the helper on the
Beech service line did not know. We would like to get to this relay and
see if it is the culprit causing the panel to go dark when main power is
off.

per the POH? It's been ten years since I saw those

Bob . . .
They book part is being worked... more info to come...

-Chris

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: A36 standby battery and relay Reply with quote

Chris:
Bypass the relay.  Turn off the MAIN Master - Supply backup battery voltage to the connection where the backup should be connecting to the G1000.  If all works than - Keep LQQKing at the backup battery relay.  If it does not work, start looking elsewhere.
Barry
On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 2:58 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 11:49 AM 7/6/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Chris <toaster73(at)embarqmail.com (toaster73(at)embarqmail.com)>

Bob/List

per the POH?  It's been ten years since I saw those

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: